1/2 quart overfill in the Subie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will this hurt anything? Yesterday I had the Saturn tech's change my oil with my own oil and filter, I work there = discount. Anyway, it was overfilled by 1/2 quart somehow.

Foaming. I would try to get some of it out. You can get a cheap $10 hand pump at auto parts stores that goes down the dipstick tube.

i always take my oil right to the full line. going over that much depends on the engine.

ecotec 2.2?

dparm's suggestion is good. do you know anyone with a mityvac? this thread makes me glad i have a quick oil drain valve.

Total capacity is listed at 4.2 quarts. I'll go ahead and take the oil filter off, drain it, reinstall it, that should be just about right.

Your engine holds 4.5 and you added 5 qts....how does it read on the dippie sticky thingy?

You will probably be fine but I'm no 2.5L 4-cyl EJ251/EJ253 series expert.

My Forester has a full line and a HOT MAX mark about 3/8 inch above the full mark. If it doesn't excede the hot mark with a fully warmed up engine you are good to go.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
My Forester has a full line and a HOT MAX mark about 3/8 inch above the full mark. If it doesn't excede the hot mark with a fully warmed up engine you are good to go.

that is clever. they should all have that mark.

With the oil cold, first thing in the morning, the oil is up to the hot notch. That should be about 1/2 quart over full. I'll drop and drain the filter this weekend, just to be safe.

Its running fine, no smoke, burning smell, ect, no funny sounds.

I think that most engines out there can easily handle a half quart over capacity without an issue. When they put the capacity in the manual it's not as if they are going to list the absolute maximum safe amount of oil as they take into account the fact that some people are just going to round it up.

My family owns a Forester, and from reading the subaruforester.org forums for a while, putting in a full 5 quarts is pretty common. Apparently, ~4.7 quarts including the filter is considered full for the NA 2.5l engine, so the extra few tenths are inconsequential. If the Saturn guy put in 5 quarts, I'd not worry about it and just cruise on.

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
With the oil cold, first thing in the morning, the oil is up to the hot notch. That should be about 1/2 quart over full. I'll drop and drain the filter this weekend, just to be safe.

Its running fine, no smoke, burning smell, ect, no funny sounds.

Check it HOT not cold.

If it is below the hot notch when ran for a bit you will be fine. Don't worry so much...

Originally Posted By: gib
My family owns a Forester, and from reading the subaruforester.org forums for a while, putting in a full 5 quarts is pretty common. Apparently, ~4.7 quarts including the filter is considered full for the NA 2.5l engine, so the extra few tenths are inconsequential. If the Saturn guy put in 5 quarts, I'd not worry about it and just cruise on.

Yeah but I did quite few changes on my forester and I can tell you 4.2-4.5 is spot on, and about full mark, but than all the delearship overfill the oil any way
wink.gif
so I don't think you need to worry about it.

Is it turbocharged?

Ive seen a Subaru Legacy Turbo overfilled that blew smoke out of the tail pipe when driven hard.

It was an autocross situation though, and it wasn't permanent. I believe it was related to the overfill and the turbo.

Our Forester always gets five quarts, as do my two other 4.5 quart engines.
Half a quart is nothing, and the dipstick is not all that precise a measuring device anyway.
Half a quart in a typical engine is not going to be a problem.
I have always rounded up those engines requiring X.5 quarts or more to the next full quart.
I really don't need a bunch of half full quarts sitting around waiting for their turn in the OPE engines, or as a frankenbrew delight for one of the cars.
Our cars have not generally used oil, so I don't need top-off oil either.

I think the "overfill tolerance" also depends on oil viscosity.
15w40 you can overfill by larger amount than 0w20, because thicker oil returns to the sump slower (remains longer hanging up there in the valvetrain, etc.)

1/2qt overfill of Ultra in my Eclipse, bit higher since I just drove it 40 miles on the interstate.

Photo0500.jpg

for being such a powerful cleaning oil, its not too dirty after about 2300 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back