adhesive for reattaching cloth on door panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother-in-law has a 2002 Civic and the cloth on the door panels is coming off in some areas. It appears as if the adhesive has simply given up. Any suggestions as to how I can repair this for her? Is there an adhesive that would work well for this?

Any spray trim adhesive available from a parts store should cover it. Is she a smoker? Cigarette smoke seems to eat the adhesives commonly used for headliners and other fabric-on-foam trim pieces. If a smoke residue remains on the parts, the new adhesive may not hold well for long.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
3m Hi-temp spray adhesive.

+1 and be sure to read the instructions if you want it to work right.

For adhesives and auto-related chemicals, you can never go wrong with 3M products. That is what professionals use.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
Is she a smoker?

No, and she bought the car new, so it's not been exposed to a smoker.

In that case, I'm 100% on board with the 3M spray adhesive. That's what body shops use. If you can find an upholstery shop in town, they might be able to do it for you pretty inexpensively if you'd rather have a guarantee. But upholstery shops are hard to find these days.

I worked for 3M for 21 years(76-97) and I love their products. But, my wife works for some of the local Performing Arts/Theater doing hair/makeup and costumes. I don't remember the name of this particular fabric adhesive but, it's incredable. She has actually made a dress using only this adhesive which can be found at any frabic/sewing/craft store. This(let's call it glue) holds up through sweating under hot lights, sitting/standing, dancing and costume changes. And best of all, it easy to apply. Easier to apply than spray type adhesives as I beleive this "glue" comes in a stick like lip balm(ChapStick). I think that if the glue holds up under this kind of stress that, it will hold a peice of interior door fabric. IIRC, Cheap too!

And no, this isn't the only way they make their costumes for the productions, they actually sew the costumes together. But, when a charactor has a rip/tare during an act, this glue is a quick fix that just happens to hold up quite well.

I don't know if this is the same product like the "As Seen On TV" but it's similar.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
If you can find an upholstery shop in town, they might be able to do it for you pretty inexpensively if you'd rather have a guarantee. But upholstery shops are hard to find these days.

I know of an upholstery shop nearby, but it'd be easier and less expensive to fix it myself, if I can. The product that Char Baby describes sounds like exactly what I need. Just need to figure out what that product is an see where I can find it.

Go into any fabric/material, sewing store and ask some of the employees if they're familier with the product that I had described. This is at least a place to start. My wife said that this product not only came in a large roll up stick (as in Chap Stick), it also came in a squeeze bottle like Elmers Glue(more messy). We don't have any laying around the house I'm sorry to say or I could at least give you the brand name.

Alot of people think that these stores only carry products for women who like to sew/knit etc. But this is where I buy automotive headliner. Yes, they actually carry headliner material for cars! I've had to replace the headliners in older cars that I have had or helped other who were restoring cars. These stores carry rolls and rolls of it. All in a row just like carpet. And all other accessories to go along with it.

A friend of mine who restores/customizes Harley's buys all of his leather, studs, needles and heavy gauge sewing thread from stores like this. He says it's cheaper to buy here than from other sources. If they don't stock something that he needs, they can often order it(not always but they're great help).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back