I'm going synthetic...bad idea in this van?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't take it anymore...been a member here for a couple years and reading about synthit this, and synthetic that... So I'm going to put it in my Dodge Caravan 3.3L with 67k. The oil pan gasket seaps a little bit of oil, nothing drips on the ground. This should be safe? Most people don't consider oil seapage the same as a leak, so synthetic would not neccessarily agrivate anything right?

ARX will be worth the effort.

Pennzoil Platinum with the rebate is a super deal. OCI 7000 miles.

Wal Mart synthetic is really Group III 'synthetic' but it is good oil for the money. OCI 5000 miles.

Some Home Depot stores have a closeout on Pennzoil Platinum.

Otherwise good 'ol Mobil 1 / Mobil 1 EP. OCI 7000 miles / OCI 10000 miles.

There's also some free after rebate Valvoline Maxlife which is not a synthetic.... but it has some good additives and a smidge of PAO synthetic. OCI 3500 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by mossad:
I can't take it anymore...been a member here for a couple years and reading about synthit this, and synthetic that... So I'm going to put it in my Dodge Caravan 3.3L with 67k. The oil pan gasket seaps a little bit of oil, nothing drips on the ground. This should be safe? Most people don't consider oil seapage the same as a leak, so synthetic would not neccessarily agrivate anything right?

Just remember not to be an fool and change it every 3000miles.

If you plan on changing it every 3000, just stick to what you are using.

Even if I prefer to stick with a short OCI such as 3k using my synthetic, would I not be better off espcecially since this van will get many short trips of a mile or less in extreme hot and cold temps?

I am thinking about running my 2.5 daytona on synthetic over the winter since it had to really crank to get going on those 10F mornings. I am iffy on the idea since I have a small leak on one of the frotn seals(not bad really) but I dont want my valve stem seals to go due to the potential loss of false seals. The engine has 182K on it.

I will replace the front seals myself, have the rear main done when I get my tranny swaped so those will be cool with it.

Think running ARX before the conversion will help it adapt to syn?

When I run Valvoline Synthetic that I got from Wal-Mart in the Chevy Lumina (now 205,000+miles) and the 1993 Buick PA (220,000 miles) I would change to 5-30 in the fall and 10-30 Valvoline in the late spring. Now I run Amsoil and will change about once a year. Sometimes I run the Lunia to about 1 year interval. Makes great gas mileage, drives smooth and starts great. About 34.5 MPG no oil burning, but does drip a bit. Dripped before with regular motor oil too.
Vern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back