Painting anodized parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Need to replace a door check on my 82 MB. The OE ones were painted. I got the right aerosol paint from paintscratch, but would appreciate suggestions on how to prep. I have their aerosol primer. Do I just need to degrease?

Thanks!

bcb0c5e0.jpg

I would use a gray scratch pad and lacquer thinner until there is no shine anywhere on the part, then use a zink chromate primer and let it dry - really dry. Wet sand anything (1000 grit or higher) that needs it and then paint. You probably will want to run a tap thru any threaded bolt holes after painting.

Or you could just leave it anodized! Good Luck!

Dont think it is aluminum, and Ill be taping off the sections not visible when installed.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Is the part aluminum? Looks like steel to me so it wouldn't be anodizing, just a zinc coating.

Ditto, that part has a zinc chromate conversion coating (probably hexavalent chrome-free for RoHS unless it's NOS)... some of the new coatings can be dyed yellow for the same look as the previous yellow chromate but without any of the deadly chromium compounds. Corrosion resistance is quite good as well.

Tom's advice for looking for a galvanized primer is good as well.

Looks like a metal stamping.I would just prepsol it and spray it first with duplicolor self etching primer (green) it can be had at AA for ca $7. It will etch into the metal no need to scuff just shoot regular primer right over it when it dries (about 30min).
scuff with 400 and wipe it off with prepsol and spray color or base/clear coat.Put a extra bolt in the threaded holes while spraying.

Make sure you wipe the part down with a paper towel after using prepsol or it will fisheye.

I'd leave that protective coating on there. It looks to be steel?
A light scotch brite scuffing, primer, then paint, should suffice very well.

Yeah, I didnt want to remove it... Just verify what was needed to get paint/primer to stick. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back