Schaeffer's S-9000 5 W 40 MBenz 3.0 diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: badnews

3- if you run an oil with 1.5 or higher SA it will be a problem with the rings and DPF lower saps 1.0 or lower are not a problem... people here can scream and yell but they always fail to shown how it would harm a engine or DPF

Mercedes does not recommend it and that is good enough for me because they have test data to backup their reputation. All you got is some anecdotal UOAs. It does not hurt your engine literally, it will kill the DPF over time. When the DPF is dying the engine performance will decrease and more emission. Replace the DPF and the engine will be good again.

Quote:

4- Engines will be fine with mid saps oils 1.0 max but they aren't considered green .

The engine will be fine but your DPF and your engine performance will be less than expected. They are not considered green because you are emitting more metal particles into the air.

Quote:

The new 2010 Sprinter engines do not have a DPF and they still say use 229.51 rated oil , reason being the spec is more about HTHS and extended oil change interval -- not clogged DPF or EGR .

Said who they don't have a DPF? The DPF is still there but instead of burning off the particulates with diesel fuel they are mixing it with a water-based additive DEF. Once again, I will take Mercedes specs over your uninformed opinion any day of the week.

http://www.sprintervans.com/02_About/2010_Freightliner_Sprinter_Brochure.pdf
http://www.ourexcellentadventures.com/wp-content/documents/MercedesBenzSprinter2010.pdf

Quote:

Like Mobil Emission Service Protection a huge con to get you to buy the oil at dealerships only no where else could you buy it then they did this when it just came out to rake you over the coals and get your hard earned cash and for Mobil to get top dollar for their product . That is a new low for Mobil but not the last I'd wager,

How can Mobil rake you over the coals when it is the dealers that took your money? When was the last time you go to the dealers for any kind of oils because they were cheaper?

Quote:

Others run their mouth --- I am running Schaeffer's S9000 in a 100,000.00 vehicle , I would not do that if it was hurting my van

The issue here is that you are killing your DPF slowly and emitting more emission by not using the recommended oil. There is no way that you can tell the health of your DPF in 10K miles or 30K miles for that matter.

If you look at the cost of a new DPF and the cost of running the correct oil, what are your saving? Now, if you were to use the car for off road only then getting rid of the DPF and running non 229.51 oil such as Mobil1 0W-40 would be my choice.

If it was my Sprinter, here in OH where the [expletive DELETED] E-Check was gone forever(?)-that fuel sucking PITA DPF would be the FIRST thing gone once I was out of engine warranty-then you could run any HDEO you wanted!

Easier said, even with all the expletives, than done.
With all the electronics one needs a "patch" or convertor box to allow the truck to run properly with DPF and urea convertor gone.
There are DPF delete kits for pre 2011 Big 3 diesel pickups, but none so far AFAIK for 2011 Big 3 diesels, let alone Mercedes/BMW/VW imports.
If someone knows of a delete kit for a 2009 BMW X5 35d, let me know.

Charlie

32.gif

How complicated is it to invent or "program" a convertor box for theses applications?

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
You are assuming the dpf is going to fail running a CJ-4 oil. There's no evidence as of yet that it will even do harm to it.

I assume nothing. Most 228.31 oils were also CJ-4, 229.51 oils are not. In the 2007 models MB 228.31 oil was listed as OK for that engine, but for 2008 and up the 228.31 was NOT approved. I stand by Mercedes since they are the engine maker and the one I have to deal with for warranty purpose.

Even Mobil don't want to take a chance, I quote from their FAQ:

"Question: Can Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck be Used in Place of Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40? The owner's manual calls for Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 oil, which is hard to find locally. I can readily find Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40, which says on the label that it is "recommended for virtually all diesel-powered equipment from U.S., European and Japanese equipment builders. . ." But, nowhere is Daimler Chrysler mentioned on the label. I compared the properties specs for both. There are some differences. Is the Turbo Diesel Truck oil of equal or better quality than the ESP Formula? If I use the Turbo Diesel and have a problem with the engine later, would Mercedes have a basis to claim that I used an inferior grade oil to that demanded in their MB 229.51 spec? Thanks.-- Marvin Vanhise, Lawrenceville, NJ

Answer: You should use the MB 229.51 recommended product."

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
You are assuming the dpf is going to fail running a CJ-4 oil. There's no evidence as of yet that it will even do harm to it.

I assume nothing. Most 228.31 oils were also CJ-4, 229.51 oils are not. In the 2007 models MB 228.31 oil was listed as OK for that engine, but for 2008 and up the 228.31 was NOT approved. I stand by Mercedes since they are the engine maker and the one I have to deal with for warranty purpose.

Even Mobil don't want to take a chance, I quote from their FAQ:

"Question: Can Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck be Used in Place of Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40? The owner's manual calls for Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 oil, which is hard to find locally. I can readily find Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40, which says on the label that it is "recommended for virtually all diesel-powered equipment from U.S., European and Japanese equipment builders. . ." But, nowhere is Daimler Chrysler mentioned on the label. I compared the properties specs for both. There are some differences. Is the Turbo Diesel Truck oil of equal or better quality than the ESP Formula? If I use the Turbo Diesel and have a problem with the engine later, would Mercedes have a basis to claim that I used an inferior grade oil to that demanded in their MB 229.51 spec? Thanks.-- Marvin Vanhise, Lawrenceville, NJ

Answer: You should use the MB 229.51 recommended product."

And this is your evidence that CJ-4 will harm the dpf? Gimme a break.

No break for you since you seems to not understand technical specifications and got nothing to show for except for a couple of anecdotal UOAs. I got Mobil and Mercedes recommendations and warranty on my side. Feel free to shade tree mechanic your ride and take it up with any CJ oil makers you like when your DPF is plugged up. Like the man said "Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it"

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
No break for you since you seems to not understand technical specifications and got nothing to show for except for a couple of anecdotal UOAs. I got Mobil and Mercedes recommendations and warranty on my side. Feel free to shade tree mechanic your ride and take it up with any CJ oil makers you like when your DPF is plugged up. Like the man said "Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it"

And you still have offered no evidence that CJ-4 will harm the dpf. It's all about manufacterers covering ther behinds on emission warranties. Same old story about non-GF4 SM oils damaging catalysts in gas burners. It has not happened . I don't shade-tree anything. Ran my own shop for years and been in the business for 25. What's you background other than sucking up whatever MB feeds you?

And you still have offered no evidence that CJ-4 will harm the dpf. It's all about manufacterers covering ther behinds on emission warranties.

Yeah, they are covering their behinds on emissions warranties because they know lubricants' additive formulations affect the emissions hardware. There is plenty of evidence published online about this. Here's one, starting on page 21: http://www.engine-expo.com/05engine_conf/pres/day1/burnett.pdf

That article points out that E6 (228.51) oils are clearly superior in terms of emission equipment lifetime to E9(CJ4) oils.

Charlie

[/quote]
And you still have offered no evidence that CJ-4 will harm the dpf. It's all about manufacterers covering ther behinds on emission warranties. Same old story about non-GF4 SM oils damaging catalysts in gas burners. It has not happened . I don't shade-tree anything. Ran my own shop for years and been in the business for 25. What's you background other than sucking up whatever MB feeds you? [/quote]The only part that scares me-if BITOG "experts" think CJ-4 is acceptable-IMHO 99% of oil change places & mechanics won't know any better either. Using the recommended oil, which does cost a little more, lets you use the OLM to get maximum life out of the oil. Last I checked, the M1 ESP isn't outrageously expensive-why the obstinate contrariness on this spec? Pretty sure Daimler has better info on this one, don't think they're raking in big $$$ from the 229.51 oil producers?

Also guessing you're probably not running the Mann fleece oil filters either? The part I'd be keeping a VERY close eye on is the condition of the ATF and transmission-heard a rebuild on a Sprinter trans set back an ex-employer of mine EIGHT GRAND-bet a plugged DPF is chump change compared to that!

Is the DPF cheaper to replace than an engine?
Only time will tell if the DPF issue is over exaggerated.
Keep an eye on the salvage yards. Maybe you can get a spare DPF off a wrecked van and keep it in the attic.

Stick with this oil. And, hunt the aftermarket for a DPF delete.

A used DPF is still around $400-800 (labor not included) and you would know what is its condition. New replacement DPF on a Sprinter van is around $3,000 at the dealer. So what exactly are you going to gain going with a non-spec oil?

+1 for the DPF delete if possible, will not pass inspection in many locales.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back