Anyone used Wagner Thermoquiet brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to replace rear brake pads on my Isuzu. OEM runs $123. Wagner is running a $15 rebate, so I can get Thermoquiet for $18.80 shipped from Amazon. OEM gave me 60K and rotor is still good, so I am looking for something comparable.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks, I did my front last year, with OEMs.
Did some searching on BITOG, seems TQ have good reputation.
I will go with a different kit, for $10 extra I get new clips.
Still $28.42 after the rebate.

Wish I had done the same with the fronts, instead of paying dealer $70 for the pads.

We had ThermoQuiets on our Vibe. We replaced the OEM pads at about 50k miles, and turned the rotors at the same time. Never had any problems with pulsating with the original pads, but within 25k miles had pulsating with the ThermoQuiets. I know when you turn the rotors you reduce the mass a bit, and thus the heat dissipating properties of the rotors. But 25k miles is pretty quick considering we don't beat on the car with braking. So, at that point we turned the rotors again and (predictably) they lasted even less.

Even though the ThermoQuiet pads had a lot of life left on them, I replaced them a month ago when I put on new rotors (also did calipers). I replaced them with Akebonos, which are supposed to be easy on rotors.

I don't have any concrete evidence, but I think the ThermoQuiets are probably a bit hard, which means they wear less, but also wear out the rotors faster.

I have ThermoQuiets on my Camry,Dodge Ram, and Kia Spectra. They have been very good for me. Long life, good braking, little dust, never any noise problems. I have AdaptiveOne pads on my Eclipse and I like them a lot, would have used the Wagners again but I wanted to try something new.

As far as rotor wear as stated above, I've seen no real evidence. We also install them on quite a few vehicles we service at work with no complaints. I used to use the China rotors on my vehicles because there is such a huge price difference. However, the last three times I've done brakes on my own, I've upgraded to the Premium rotors, they seem to hold up better, less pulsation problems, and more than anything they don't seem to rust out as much as the China stuff.

Last edited:
I have used them a lot in the past--they have always been inexpensive from RockAuto. I've found them to be comparable or better than OE pads. I have no point of comparison against other aftermarket premium pads.

All but one of the sets was from the US or Canada. A set of rear shoes for my old turbo K-car was from China.

Thank you, y'all. I am ordering a set of Wagners. Tech said rotors looked good, no scoring, no turning needed (my dealership does not try to upsell, have always done right by me).

Last edited:
I installed thermoquiets on my wife's 03 Acura 3.2TL, my '98 Chev K1500 and my 2004 Chev Avalanche. I was very pleased with the performance and would buy them again in a heartbeat.

I installed Thermoquiet pads on our Corolla at 39K miles. The original pads were down to about 1-1.5mm. The Corolla now has 67K and the Thermoquiets seem to be holding up well.

Usually I replace rotors when I do brakes but I just slapped on the pads this time as the rotors looked very good. I have noticed a squeak from the brakes on occasion but the customer, my wife, is oblivious.

Braking seems just as good as OEM. I believe the Corolla Thermoquiets are a ceramic formulation.

I tood advanage of one of the rebate deals through Rock Auto and I would buy them again (with rebate of course).

Just got the Thermoquiet semi-metallics at my door today, along with new rotors from Rock auto to do the front brakes on my '99 F150. They are replacements for the same Thermoquiets that lasted 65,000 miles. Low dust, no noises, good performance, low price at Rock Auto and a rebate, what's not to like! I did not try the ceramics as OEM is Semi-Metallic and I've had no dust issues with the TQ's before.

I'm pairing it up with Raybestos Advanced Technology Rotors, which are the same as the Ultra Premium Rotors at Napa. Cheaper at Rock Auto as well...

Besides the Truck, I have Thermoquiets on the Explorer and the front Brakes on the Cherokee. No complaints on any of them...

I'm running the Thermoquiet full ceramic pads(made in USA!) on my Liberty. Very impressive pads. Quiet, great braking power, very little dust.

I totally recommend them!

Yeh I put some on my cavalier a few weeks before I got rid of it, they worked really well. Oh yeah, and mine were made in usa also

Last edited:
I'm running Wagner THermoquiets in my 2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited's front brakes.

So far I have about 10,000 miles on them and I have no complaints.

I bought them at Advanced Auto and they offer a limited lifetime warranty on them. I was told I can replace them once for the lifetime of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Thank you, y'all. I am ordering a set of Wagners. Tech said rotors looked good, no scoring, no turning needed (my dealership does not try to upsell, have always done right by me).

A dealer that doesn't up sell? How the [censored] do they stay in business? Hard to survive if a dealer or any repair facility does an oil change when someone requests it and does not recommend anything. Most people have no idea what bad shape their vehicles are in, and what they may need. Nothing wrong with up selling, it is keeping the customer informed of the needs of their vehicle. Overselling is something different though.

I prefer to use new rotors when it is affordable. Just has a better feeling or piece of mind knowing you installed all new stuff on your car =)

By upsell, I mean they do not recommend unnecessary work. I had thought my brakes needed to be changed, but I did not want to pull the wheels off. Since the car was in for other work, i asked them to check. They were happy to do it. They did not try to sell me rotors.

I take a good care of my cars and they know it. They know I do most of the basic things myself and they get to do things I can not do. They are happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I have ThermoQuiets on my Camry,Dodge Ram, and Kia Spectra. They have been very good for me. Long life, good braking, little dust, never any noise problems. I have AdaptiveOne pads on my Eclipse and I like them a lot, would have used the Wagners again but I wanted to try something new.

As far as rotor wear as stated above, I've seen no real evidence. We also install them on quite a few vehicles we service at work with no complaints. I used to use the China rotors on my vehicles because there is such a huge price difference. However, the last three times I've done brakes on my own, I've upgraded to the Premium rotors, they seem to hold up better, less pulsation problems, and more than anything they don't seem to rust out as much as the China stuff.

What premium rotor? NAPA,Carquest,OReilly are all made in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back