3500 miles on M1 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the old M1 10W30 out last night.

With only 9 months and 4500 miles it was pretty bad, looked like it does after I would run the same oil 10K miles back when I had it. I attribute that to a lot of short trips she made to work and school.

I used the same products I have used with this car for the last 90,000 miles; M1 10W30 and a PureOne filter.

Car now has 184,000 miles on it.

Hmmm..maybe...

It looked like I had I had it in there for 10K.

My daughter does a lot of short distance driving, never letting the oil get up to temperature.

Originally Posted By: shpankey
Looks of the oil (more specifically darkness) really doesn't tell you much about it to be honest.

I know, I know...

My point was the oil had only 4500 miles on it and "looked" like it did when I ran 10,000 mostly highway miles on it.

Depends on the driving conditions and where she drives. Have you replaced the airfilter recently? If it is old and a lot of dirt getting through, your oil will be much darker...

So now her car has 6600 miles on the Mobil 1 10W30. I'm probably going to change it at 7500 miles or so with Mobil 1 0W40. The engine has almost 200,000 miles on it and runs fine, doesn't burn oil.

Ive been using Mobil 1 10W30 for the last 100k except for two 10k OCI's of Mobil 1 10W40.

I use 0W40 in another one of my vehicles so I thought it might be easiest to use what I already have in stock. Good idea or bad? What do you think about running a 40W in a 2.4L DOHC 4 banger?

GM recommends 5w30 for this engine btw.

Went with Mobil 1 0W40 and a PureOne in the Cavalier this weekend. Car just turned over 190,000 miles! The old oil had 7k miles / 6 months of use with a mix of mountain town short trips and then some 250 mile trips back to our home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back