Brake rotors rotting out, anything to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've assumed the role of doing some work on my mothers 04 Monte Carlo SS.

The car has 50k miles on it, and she keeps it immaculate clean. She even has her mechanic put mobil 1 oil it at 10k intervals.

The brake rotors on this thing just rot out.

The rear OEM brake rotors were replaced once when she bought it. This was 2 years ago. Now 2 years later, I have to replace the rear disc brakes again (disc on drum system). The pads are nearly new, but the back sides of the rotors are rotten, warped, and they chewed up the back brake pad.

So this is the third set of rear rotors/pads on the car in 6 years and 50k miles?

Now I took a look at the front rotors that were replaced 1 year ago, they are getting rusty in the same place at the back of the rotor.

The front rotors look like a decent aftermarket rotor, with painted hats. I bet they were a somewhat high end rotor.

Should I just stick with cheapo's in a car that is subjected to this terrible winter environment?

The entire car is undercoated, and doesn't have a spot of rust on it.

You live in New York. Snow and ice and salt are a fact of life up there. You can't do anything to stop rotor degradation; best bet is to get a good aftermarket rotor with a decent replacement warranty.

Interesting observation:

We have two Expeditions in our family:

A 2000 owned by my parents, and a 2002 owned by my wife and myself.

I drive MUCH harder than my dad.

My rotors don't rot out.

Dad's rotors do.

I think it has to do with me getting the brakes hot far more regularly than my dad does.

Rear discs are not used heavily.
This actually works backwards. Brakes need use to stay in good condition.
You have a near world record for brake rotor replacement.
Make sure your rear brakes are not sticking.

Quote:
Should I just stick with cheapo's in a car that is subjected to this terrible winter environment?

Just the opposite.Some of the better after market rotors have a coating in the areas not touching the pads and don't rust nearly as bad as the Chinese cheapo's.

Considering that its someone elses car, I would find the cheapest lifetime warranty rotors I could and replace as necassary costing little more then time and an excuse to visit mom. My vehicle I would be more inclined to spend a little more and experiment with higher end stuff to see what holds up the best for future use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back