API CH to API CI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could anyone tell me what to go with,
My engine is old 2500cc 1995 year daihatsu direct injection engine, currently I use Mobil Delvac MX 15w40 API CH4, and
high sulphur diesel fuel,
can I switch to API/CI oil?
and for an old engine like this, what is the best oil to go with?

Thanks alot

Delvac (here in the US) is an excellent oil, if you have high sulfur fuel I would try to avoid CJ-4 oil, not sure what is available there, unfortunately I've never seen a Daihatsu diesel here, maybe others have?

The main difference between CH4 and CI4 is that the CI4 has a bit more soot dispersant. both have similar detergent and other adiitve contents. With a Japanese engine you could even use Delo 300 which is a CD oil: very high detergency/acid neutralization (TBN = 14), only moderate soot dispersancy.
But in my opinion a CI4 oil would be fine.

Charlie

I agree; CI-4 would work well. You might also consider the CI-4+, but it was aimed at more EGR use, and therefore has more anti-agglomerates, does it not?

I would think with the high-sulfur fuel, TBN would be very important, along with not greatly extending the OCI (unless using UOA verification).

My Golf's owners manual specified CH-4. I would not be content with a CH-4 oil in it today -- in fact I had 25 gallons of Delvac 1 5w40 and sold all of it rather than use it in my Golf's VE TDI engine.

My point -- use a modern oil and do not pay much attention to what was written 10-15 years ago.

Thanks for your reply,

How to know TBN level in every API spec oil,
Is the older API certified like API CF-4 or CG-4 have a higher TBN level?

Originally Posted By: Albertchristian
Thanks for your reply,

How to know TBN level in every API spec oil,
Is the older API certified like API CF-4 or CG-4 have a higher TBN level?

To determine TBN you need to find the Technical Data Sheet for the oil in question. Anything above 11 is good for high sulfur diesel, but the higher the TBN, the longer between changes and the reverse is true.

Charlie

I haven't seen anything but CJ4 oils around here in a long time, at least at the usual places like WalMart and truck stops. The old stuff is just gone.

the older stuff is not gone, just harder to find!!amsoil for one carries the newer cj spec as premium api cj-4 deisel oil and the former spec as heavy duty diesel + marine oil do not be mislead that the newest spec oils are best for everyone, oil formulations are changed to suit auto manufacturers, since the pollution equipment is warranted for 100,000 or so some protective additives have been LOWERED AGAIN!!!! newest diesels with particulate filters $$$$$ have different perceived needs in oils, amsoil does not recognize some concerns in a mechanically sound engine, their low noack #'s in the full REAL synthetic oils exceeds all dino oils and many group III {synthetic cough cough}oils, even upon the new laws governing what is called synthetic mobil along with others are said to reformulate their synthetic products with lesser than pao synthetics, but quality group III oils, remember its all about the $$$$$, don't expect much from CHEAP OILS !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back