What color does Royal Purple turn after use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And has it ever accelerated grenading of anyone's engine, thus leading to its dislike?

Perhaps ill try Royal Purple when i return to that car. Dropping an Oil Pan scares me
27.gif
particuarly since my Oil Pickup screen is likely fine, and im thinking more and more that simply running a good oil through, to soak up any old particulates and dirt left by whatever I did :confuse: as I forget what i did, "RP vs RedLine" as Redline will likely clean it up great due to polar esters.. then stick with one of those oils, if i see no leaks, etc.. is the way to go. 1 quart of MMO for good cause as people suggest, unless it is wholly unneded with those Oils.

The thing that concerns me, is the Purple pour. This would mean id be OK in adding the half a can of that Moly stuff to RP, however, does RP ever turn a normal color, after being in use? After the Purple goes away... does it turn Amber brown, or Blackish?

Much has been said about Oil color, this i know. i still believe that as Oil holds more and more contaminants, particularly one that is in an engine such as mine that perhaps has more to give (like lipadj46 said, it may not even be dirty.. valid point, at least not anymore, except for the residual,) then monitoring the oil for texture, smell, and darkness would make some sense.

Is it wise to run the car for a warm-up cycle, then change it, with "the cheapest Oil i can find" (which sometimes is Quaker State Q, if i go to WM and they have it for $5 a jug) before putting in the RP or RL? Logic being, whatever has accumulated from not only months/a year of sitting, but whatever happened the last time it was operated, will wash out, ready for nice new Oil? (When i return it will be that long a time)

I would sell the car. However, i honestly think id be happier "screwing with it for hours" then junking/selling it, for some minimal amount of money. I really do. I can learn so much, within my budget and learning curve... besides, its not going anywhere, so its my plaything of sorts.
thumbsup2.gif
(read: That means -not- taking the engine/car apart, bolt by bolt. To me, it means "Learning how to diagnose a car, particularly diagnosing if no fix is required." Even if its not so valuable. Sometimes, thats good! Gonna learn with it, and it will ride again too.

On that note.. Why do most people dislike Royal Purple? It seems like it exposes engine problems very well as per the linky, so if i have one
54.gif
perhaps I should re-think the RP idea and just stick to a more basic Oil with my Probe. They say RedLine puts a velvety coating on parts...
54.gif

Also http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general-ls...e-now-pics.html - Thread is "Did Royal Purple destroy my engine?," as related to an LS1.

Here it is, pouring Purple.
web_pour.jpg

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Pink.

Was that the 15w-40?
wink.gif
When I use the other grades, they turn a normal oil color after a bit, whatever that is. I haven't tried the 15w-40 yet.

As to the original question by HangerHarley, sure, it'll be fine. The biggest criticism RP gets is that it's too expensive for what one gets. Others say if you shop around you can get a good deal. I get RP cheaper than everything except Mobil 1 and GC, so I do not hesitate to use it.

One could argue that RP is "worth" more money because of expensive base stocks, and how the regular stuff is cheaper than the European spec RP oils. I'm not going to go there, however, since oil companies tend to charge as much as the market will sustain.

If you can get it at a reasonable price, go for it. If you can't get it at a reasonable cost, or want to save some bucks, go with something else.

As for your cheap flush idea, in many cases, there's nothing wrong with that. When I changed my valve cover gasket, I did a cheap, short OCI just to make sure I didn't drop some debris in there or to ensure I'd be able to sleep at night - take your pick.

I wouldn't change oil with a cheap conventional and then rush to change it to synthetic just for giggles though. A shorter OCI, sure, but not too short. There's no point in wasting perfectly good oil. After all, most cheap oils are perfectly good.

i have no idea what you rambled on about in that whole first post. it's a bunch of useless information about nothing. anyway RP is fine engine oil. it turns to a normal engine oil color after a few minutes of running in your engine up to operating temperature and it stays quite clean for a long time as long as you don't have any mechanical problems. i don't think i have ever heard of anyone "loosing" an engine from any particular engine oil.

good luck

Originally Posted By: Burt
Is this a trick question?

No, sorry, its not. I honestly dont know what color it would turn to.

I would assume it does NOT turn into a normal amber brown, since it starts off weird Purple. Researching Royal Purple, seems to expose whatever is wrong, with engine.

Quote:

It seems like it exposes engine problems very well as per the linky

? Is anyone getting the impression from the link that RP had anything to do with it?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

It seems like it exposes engine problems very well as per the linky

? Is anyone getting the impression from the link that RP had anything to do with it?

Yep. Whatever it was, it wasn't the RP.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: lui
i have no idea what you rambled on about in that whole first post. it's a bunch of useless information about nothing.

i thought it was just me being tired and confusing myself. guess not.

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general-ls...e-now-pics.html - Thread is "Did Royal Purple destroy my engine?," as related to an LS1.

Had nothing to do with either the RP or the Syntec. The guy who bought the TA simply got screwed and bought someone`s POS. There was a reason why the seller sold that car. I`m willing to bet he knew it had issues and wanted to sell it to the first sucker that came along.

A quote from a poster on that LS1 forum:

"You probally washed out that STP that had that car running quiet when you put the RP in there and now it started knocking. You might want to check your rearend for sawdust too!"

That`s EXACTLY what I was thinking when I first started reading this. He put a band aid on that motor knowing it was a piece of junk,and unfortunately someone bought it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/general-ls...e-now-pics.html - Thread is "Did Royal Purple destroy my engine?," as related to an LS1.

Had nothing to do with either the RP or the Syntec. The guy who bought the TA simply got screwed and bought someone`s POS. There was a reason why the seller sold that car. I`m willing to bet he knew it had issues and wanted to sell it to the first sucker that came along.

Yep, they're out there and you don't necessarily know it by how friendly or straight shooting the seller seems to be. One of the used Civics I took for a test drive was a clear case of it. The engine just felt off. I couldn't diagnose it from the test drive but had a feeling it was on its last breath. Before I took it out he talked it up, car had no issues, regular maintenance, etc. When I got back and simply handed him the keys his tune changed and he started with it leaking a little oil, natural for its age, etc.

I figure he ran it too close to dry and was using some additive to mask the blue smoke I'd see otherwise. I walked.

-Spyder

It turns royal brown, or royal black in a diesel.
RP has no more grenaded any engine than has any other oil.
It may be a bit spendy, but there are those on here who swear by it in demanding applications.
I may try some in one of the cars when there is next an oil change special featuring RP, just for grins and giggles.
No oil even reasonably close to what an engine requires will destroy it.
Engines are destroyed by lack of oil, oil left in service way to long, coolant leaks into the oil, clogged crancase ventilation systems, overheating, or parts failures in service.
RP did not cause the engine cited by the OP to fail.

When I ran RP in my wife's car for a few intervals, I would always check the oil level immediately after putting it in the engine and it was no longer purple. So it's only purple for as long as it's in the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back