"Made in the USA" brake pad thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I used Akebono and Wagner before that were marked "Made in the USA". I want to hear from others, what brake pads are "Made in the Usa".

I went to Autozone the other day and everything they carry was an import. I know others like that junk, but it will never be put on a vehicle that I service. So now its off to Checker to check their stock to see if they have something they can sell me.

So please list below "Made in the USA" brake pads.

Uh-OhZone pads are imported?

I thought they were repackaged Morse pads made in Illinois and New Jersey. Did Morse get bought out by a foreign company or did Uh-OhZone just switch manufacturers?

Wagner Thermo Quiet pads were made in the USA when I sold parts. They are a part of Federal-Mogul and may have since switched.

I'm not as finicky. I got a good deal on Axxis pads made in Australia. I like them. I trust them far more than any Communist Chinese brake pads.

Originally Posted By: EricF
I like the Canadian mfgr'd pads... (i.e. Monroe)

I have Satisfied pads that are made in Canada, although I heard that they moved some production elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: MC5W20
I went to Autozone the other day and everything they carry was an import. I know others like that junk, but it will never be put on a vehicle that I service.

The Autozone Duralast Gold pads I put on my Cobalt were made in USA. I'd be tempted to say they've been on the shelf for a few years, but seeing as the Cobalt model has only been around since 2005, I'd assume the stock must be reasonably fresh. Perhaps they've switched sources very recently?

On my '04 Grand Am the Wagner ThermoQuiets are made in the USA. My sister's Cutless Supreme pads are Advance Auto Wearever Silvers made in China.

Bad thing is the all the rotors and most of the brake hardware is made in China or elsewhere overseas (if you are lucky), and all the parts places demand top dollar for them. I had to shop at three different parts chains to buy calipers pins, caliper pin boots, and caliper brackets (these were made in USA) for the front. It cost over $80 and took three days to get all the parts. It still would have been at least next day and over $120 if I would have bought the parts at the same place. Sorry about the long and somewhat off topic rant.

MC - You will only use USA made pads, but don't know of any?
No names, specs, or specific quality?

Don't assume all Chinese made stuff is junk - that is just plain wrong.

The Raybestos pads I got for my wife's Focus were made in the USA. The Motorcraft pads I got for the Expedition were made in Mexico.

That's what I usually use Raybestos and usually they are made in USA. I would not put China brake parts on my car. Seen to many bads ones and wouldn't use China parts on my cars even if they were good if I can help it.

I recently put some Bendix Titaniumetalics on my father's Elantra and they have been very good pads. Made in China.

I also put some Hawk pads on their Taurus and I could find no indication as to where they were made! I thought they were US made.

As an installer, I've seen some Wagner products that were made in China... Yes, I'm talking about Thermoquiet parts. It's kinda a roll of the dice where it'll be coming from.

Originally Posted By: ddean

Bad thing is the all the rotors and most of the brake hardware is made in China or elsewhere overseas (if you are lucky

I usually check the junk yard for rotors. I can look at the writing on the disc and tell if it is OEM. If I can get OEM rotors from the junkyard then that is what I will use.

Obviously there IS a market for made in USA aftermarket parts in the automotive world

I hear many comments from people I know saying just the same thing.

There is a niche where a company could do VERY well if they filled it.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
MC - You will only use USA made pads, but don't know of any?
No names, specs, or specific quality?

Don't assume all Chinese made stuff is junk - that is just plain wrong.

I prefer to use "Made in USA" pads. You are wrong, I do know of some. Take a reading lesson and re-read my post. I am asking others for their knowledge on other "Made in USA" brake pads. I will worry about specs and quality on my own, I am not asking that question, but if you want to supply that info then go ahead.

Look here pal, all Chinese made brake pads are junk. I do assume all Chinese stuff is junk, so go to the unemployment line and preach to the suffering American worker your world view on China. Take an economics lesson and learn how they manipulate their currency equates to stealing from the rest of the world.

And one more thing, if your lucky, your in a profession which can't be outsourced to China. Which is why you have such a ignorant view on how others can spend their money how they choose. If I choose to spend my money on lower quality spec'd "Made in USA" stuff, that is my right to do so in a free country.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MC5W20
[ If I choose to spend my money on lower quality spec'd "Made in USA" stuff, that is my right to do so in a free country.

I'd still rather have a less quality product that was made here in the USA ...At least it employs people HERE!

With the cost of shipping today and it still is increasing hopefully companies will start to return production to the USA...Even if they pay Chinese slaves nothing the profit margin is eliminated from logistical issues now.

Quote:
Take an economics lesson and learn how they manipulate their currency equates to stealing from the rest of the world.

smirk2.gif
So you want us to pay more for things and have less money in our pocket?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
Take an economics lesson and learn how they manipulate their currency equates to stealing from the rest of the world.

smirk2.gif
So you want us to pay more for things and have less money in our pocket?

Well eventually if we keep losing good paying jobs, no one will have any money left to buy whatever you make, service, sell etc.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
[
Well eventually if we keep losing good paying jobs, no one will have any money left to buy whatever you make, service, sell etc.

Words of commonsense and wisdom....something missing from the halls of Econ 101 classes in the USA today....

The mantra of these elite folks always tries to point out that cheaper is ALWAYS better....but actually that is only true if you like a "throwaway" society.

My view is that today I loathe to buy any durable good new because they are such junk..but sure they are cheap....of course you might have to go through three of four widgets to get one that actually works at ALL....but even then you will have to replace it because it only lasts a short time and is designed so it cannot be repaired...

I went to college, but thank God my genes contain the commonsense DNA...I'm not buying what the globalists are selling because it too is JUNK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back