Quaker State filters... Who makes them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Menards is having a sale on Quaker state oil filters ($1.99 each) so I snagged 5 for the Mazda 3 (qs3614).

I've tried searching for who makes these and some say Fram and others say purolator.

The gasket on the filter isn't glued down like a fram so it makes me wonder...

Anyone know? Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Is it a similar design as the Pureone

-Spyder

At that price point, it is much more likely that it is some sort of a clone of the Classic.

The local CT carries them at a good price. I almost bought some before but passed thinking they were re-branded OCODs. If its a Purolator Classic then this a great deal as my CT is selling them for only a buck more than Napa's Pro Selects.

-Spyder

Menards just had them on-sale for a little under $2. I should have bought more.

Last one I cut open (last month, QS3600) was one of the best looking filters I've seen in a while.

They've got them on sale until 9/12/10 here... I'm going to go pick up a stash for the blazer.

I compared the Quaker State filter to a PureOne that I've got and you can definitely tell that the Quaker state is made by Purolator (same numbers on the base, same slots / holes.) It definitely looks to be a great filter and I can't wait to try it out!

Anyway to verify from the box that its a re-branded Purolator? I ask only because I'm not sure how many of them the local CT moves, and if possible I'd like to verify somehow that I'm not getting a re-branded OCOD from old/stale stock.

I'm looking hard at this one because, of the choices here, its looking to be the best one for getting a decent mid-range filter for a low price, which is exactly what I'm looking for on the coming winter OC and future summer 3 or 4k dino OCIs (I know this a short interval, but my engine loves to trash oil so 3-4k is about all I'm willing to leave dino in it for).

-Spyder

Anyway to verify from the box that its a re-branded Purolator? I ask only because I'm not sure how many of them the local CT moves, and if possible I'd like to verify somehow that I'm not getting a re-branded OCOD from old/stale stock.

Here's the easiest way that I can think of...

If it is made by Puro, it will have oblong shaped holes in the base plate.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
If it is made by Puro, it will have oblong shaped holes in the base plate.

Not all filters made by Purolator have oblong holes in the base ... some have round holes. It depends on exactly which Purolator filter it is.

I'm looking hard at this one because, of the choices here, its looking to be the best one for getting a decent mid-range filter for a low price, which is exactly what I'm looking for on the coming winter OC and future summer 3 or 4k dino OCIs (I know this a short interval, but my engine loves to trash oil so 3-4k is about all I'm willing to leave dino in it for).

-Spyder

Yeesh by if you wants to know if its purolatr just make sure its a white body with green letters. The old OCOD clones had a green body with orange leterring.

Thanks guys. This is going to be my next filter and might wind up being my filter of choice for the OCIs I do and the price. Where my engine beats the [censored] out of whatever goes in the crank, I'm looking at 5-7K OCIs on synthetic in the winter, the lower figure for now, the latter once my engine is clean enough (stockpiling PP at a good price, and should wind up soon with enough to see me through 5 winter OCIs), and dino in the summer months for 3-5k changes (length depending on engine cleanliness again).

If its a Classic clone it should be a good match for those OCIs.

-Spyder

The local CT carries them at a good price.

Yep, that's why I bought one for my wife's Honda just before her last oil change. It was $6.99, which is not as good as what a Purolator Classic sells for in the US but it is still cheaper than most other filters up here. A long time ago Home Hardware stores used to carry Purolator filters, and so did Kmart before they went out of business up here. Back in those days I used to pick up the Purolator filters for $3! Walmart also used to sell AC Delco filters up here for $3 back then too. My how times have changed up here!

I think the Quaker State filter is good for normal to slightly extended intervals, but I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing it much beyond 7 or 8k myself. That's why I'm probably going with the Mobil 1 filter for my wife's car on the next interval now that they finally sell them up here!

Originally Posted By: Patman
The local CT carries them at a good price.

Yep, that's why I bought one for my wife's Honda just before her last oil change. It was $6.99, which is not as good as what a Purolator Classic sells for in the US but it is still cheaper than most other filters up here. A long time ago Home Hardware stores used to carry Purolator filters, and so did Kmart before they went out of business up here. Back in those days I used to pick up the Purolator filters for $3! Walmart also used to sell AC Delco filters up here for $3 back then too. My how times have changed up here!

I think the Quaker State filter is good for normal to slightly extended intervals, but I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing it much beyond 7 or 8k myself. That's why I'm probably going with the Mobil 1 filter for my wife's car on the next interval now that they finally sell them up here!

If this engine were a suitable candidate for extended drains, the Mobil filter would be what I'd go with too. I bought one at a time when everything else on the shelf was either an OCOD, or had a big question mark on its quality (many being dismissed at the time as likely rebranded OCODs). I paid more for the Mobil filter, but there was some novelty and curiousity value attached to it, as well as the certainty that I was getting a high quality product.

Having accumulated enough miles on this engine to know that extended OCIs are out of its reach (climate and driving habits playing a role as well), this QS filter is as it good as it gets here now for a well matched, reasonably priced quality filter.

You won't be disappointed with the Mobil 1 EP though. If I could do a 10k+ OCIs I'd be sticking with it.

-Spyder

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back