Do you wash or toss out your wax applicator pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Just was curious. I wax my car by hand. So I don't have to invest in pads, bonnets, etc. for a buffer. Do you toss 'em when you're done and just use a new one each time out or do you wash and reuse? If you do reuse, how do you determine when it's actually clean? I've washed applicators in the past and there's usually some form of stain or otherwise not new in appearance look.

Thanks,

Ed B.

As long as the wax applicator is clean, you can leave it in a ziplock bag or in the wax container and reuse next time. Then again, new foam applicators only cost around $1/ea.

I toss 'em.

Not worth the effort to clean them, and even at $1 a pad, how often is one going to wax the vehicle to where this would cause a financial hardship?

Originally Posted By: opus1
I toss 'em.

Not worth the effort to clean them, and even at $1 a pad, how often is one going to wax the vehicle to where this would cause a financial hardship?

I wax mine monthly. To toss out the pads after each use would be quite expensive. They really are not that difficult to clean and reuse.

Originally Posted By: opus1
I toss 'em.

I wash mine out, not worried about financial hardship but I do consider myself frugal, I used to work for my money.

I wash mine, I am using the Meguiars ones they are pretty expensive here in South Africa.I paid 56 Rand for the pack with 2 in the other day that is about 8 dollars!

I use these guys and I just toss them. I don't think they'd wash very well, and I don't mind spending a couple of bucks every 4-6 months when I wax my car.

foam-wax-applicator.png

Originally Posted By: sxg6
I use these guys and I just toss them. I don't think they'd wash very well, and I don't mind spending a couple of bucks every 4-6 months when I wax my car.

foam-wax-applicator.png

Actually come out of the wash looking new and ready to go, I have about a dozen of them and use them regularly for applying interior dressings and my monthly wax jobs,throw them in the wash and let them air dry and they are as good as new

To those who wash the used applicator pads:

What soap do ya use? Plain old laundry detergent such as Tide or something stronger like Mr Clean or Simple Green...

I use a new pad everytime I wax my Jeep. It gets washed and used to wax one of my older vehicles, then tossed. I get 2-3 wax applications per pad that way.

Originally Posted By: DaHen
To those who wash the used applicator pads:

What soap do ya use? Plain old laundry detergent such as Tide or something stronger like Mr Clean or Simple Green...

Tide is all I use in warm water.

The little foam discs go in the trash once I've used them.

Cotton terry applicators are hand washed and possibly reused but limited in their application.

Microfiber applicators are hand washed. air dryed, and reused a few more times before they get crusty and need to be tossed.

Cheap microfiber towels used as applicators are either washed & reused, or tossed out if grotey.

Expensive microfiber towels are not used as applicators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back