Which Synthetic for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!! This is my first post and I have been reading a little on the site but would like some help/input on Synthetic oil.

I bought a 2011 Sonata May 14th 2.4 4cyl. I drove it 2,200 miles with the factory oil in it. I brought it in to the dealer at 2200 miles and they changed the oil (the first one was free...) I now have 5300 miles and would like to switch over to a good Synthetic oil.

Here some information that may help:
1. 2011 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 4cyl.
2.The manual calls for API Service SM ILSAC GF-4 or above.
3.I live in Northern Wisconsin so it will be getting cold here in a couple months...
4. I have been driving this car fairly easy so far, I have used the paddle shifters a couple of times just to get the RPM's up a little bit...
5.I drive 85% in town. I only live 4 1/2 miles from work and drive mostly in town during the week. I do however like to take longer road trips on the weekends. I can put 250/400 miles on some weekends depending on where I feel like cruising to....

So, I guess I am looking to get a Synthetic that will help my car last for a long time.I hold onto them for as long as I can and this was my first NEW car purchase,I had my last car for 10 years (1999 Buick Regal GSE) I am VERY good with maintenance and keep my cars clean!!

I have never used Synthetic oil in the past...I changed my oil every 3 months regardless of mileage in the past,after reading some information on this site I think that I could have gone a different route... Any information would be great!!

Thanks,
Scotty B

What viscosity does it specify, 5w20?

And welcome to the site!
welcome2.gif

Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra in whatever viscosity Hyundai recommends (5w-20, likely).

Does kia require you to follow their severe service OCI to maintain the 100K engine warranty? The local Kia center just required my MIL to change out her T-belt on her TUCSON to maintain the warranty - it only had 22K on the clock - though 4 years in service.

Assuming this is the Mitsu/Daimler/Hyndai world engine - I hear they can be noisy on the 20 and might be better off with say EDGE 5w-30 which is a marginal ( read dang thin) 30wt. Not every engine is "Ford modular smooth" on 20wt or really suited to 20wt.

The change time on the Belt is 60,000 miles or 4 years.

The dealer can not require you to do anything to maintain your warranty. But they are good at denying it too. You can do it all your self or have a qualified shop do it. Says so in the Book. BUT keep all receipts.

Any name brand So called synthetic oil will do you well.

Ken

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra in whatever viscosity Hyundai recommends (5w-20, likely).

Why Pennzoil over anything else? Is it that much better? I am asking to try to learn a little more I guess...

Thanks!!

Or Mobil 1 0w-20 since you're in northern WI. It's commonly on sale for $30/5 quarts+filter. It'll help in those -10*F winter starts.

Yeah, I think Hyundai is pushing 5W-20 for just about everything now. I'd say either stay with the recomendation or move to a 0W-20 over the winter.

A great synthetic for the 2011 Sonata is Valvoline Synpower 5w20. Hyundai hit a home run with the new Sonata's. I see them everywhere and they look SHARP! I love how the integrated the seat adjustment buttons(MB looking device) in the center stack with the audio/climate control panel.

I went with PP in my new Focus.. It's a great synthetic oil, and perfect for the 7,500/6mo OCI in my owners manual. I think you should too, maybe.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven
A great synthetic for the 2011 Sonata is Valvoline Synpower 5w20. Hyundai hit a home run with the new Sonata's. I see them everywhere and they look SHARP! I love how the integrated the seat adjustment buttons(MB looking device) in the center stack with the audio/climate control panel.

That's not a seat adjustment in the Hvac controls. It's part of the air flow system.

160142-1024x682.jpg

This will be my parents next car. First, stick with the oem filter. It's built in house, and it's built like a tank. This engine is direct injection. So will have to fight intake valve deposits throughout the life of this engine. You should look for a low volatility oil. Valvoline Synpower does have a lower noack then other 5W-20's.

Originally Posted By: jc1990
to bad there 09 sonatas are a pieces of junk i hate mine 2.4 5 speed i hear the 2011 are so much better

The 09s are not pieces of junk. That's a pretty broad statement. The last generation Sonata is a fine vehicle; a little boring looking, but nicely engineered. You can get a lemon no matter what you buy.

Ive had 3 hyundai - they tend to get much worse fuel mileage than the competition (or used to at least) I could hardly get over 28 mpg in an Accent 3 1.6L door whereas I get near 40 average in my Yaris and its about 200 lbs heavier and MUCH peppier. It was easy to buy the Yaris as it was CHEAPER than the Accent (or even a SMART for2). At least the Sonanta is US made and I'm sure they are improving every year.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Ive had 3 hyundai - they tend to get much worse fuel mileage than the competition (or used to at least) I could hardly get over 28 mpg in an Accent 3 1.6L door whereas I get near 40 average in my Yaris and its about 200 lbs heavier and MUCH peppier. It was easy to buy the Yaris as it was CHEAPER than the Accent (or even a SMART for2). At least the Sonanta is US made and I'm sure they are improving every year.

Well, The best milage I have gotten on a full tank was 37.9. That was with 3 people and the AC running the whole time!! And the worst so far is 25.8 for a full tank.
I love the car and it is listed at 23/35mpg and it gets every bit of that as long as you drive nice.... That is another reason why I want to switch to Synthetic..I would like to see if my MPG improves at all.

Keep the information coming!!!
Scotty B

I'd vote for Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra as well.

If you like Amsoil, XLM 5W-20 would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back