NIS 2011 released

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to add to this, just going from Symantec's comparison page, here are the things that plain old NAV 2010 does:

-Blocks viruses, spyware, Trojan horses, worms, bots, and rootkits
-Pulse updates every 5-15 minutes for up-to-the minute protection
-Intelligence-driven technology for faster, fewer, shorter scans
-Norton Bootable Recovery Tool repairs, restores and boots severely infected, unbootable PCs
-Leverages cloud-based online intelligence for real-time detection of threats
-Download Insight proactively warns of potential dangers in newly downloaded files and applications before you install or run them
-Guards against Web attacks that exploit software vulnerabilities
-Stops threats unrecognized by traditional antivirus techniques
-Provides clear insight into recent PC activities to help prevent slowdowns
-Optimizes application performance with one-click
-Free email, chat, or phone support†
-Automatically finds and fixes common PC problems

The extra $30.00 for NIS gets you:
-Defends against hackers with a quiet two-way firewall
-Filters unwanted email with professional-strength antispam
-Helps keep your kids safe online with parental controls (Microsoft Windows only)
-Helps secure and monitor your home network
-Automatically secures your PC when connecting to public wireless networks
-Block hackers from accessing your computer
-Blocks phishing websites and authenticates trusted sites
-Secures, stores, and manages login and personal information
-Prevents hackers from eavesdropping and stealing information as you type
-Identifies unsafe Web sites in your search results

Now, let's just go over these one by one:

1. Defends against hackers with a quiet two-way firewall
-Windows has a built-in "firewall" that does much the same thing. However, both are completely irrelevant if you are behind a router using NAT.

2. Filters unwanted email with professional-strength antispam
-This is useful. Of course if you have Outlook, you already have a SPAM filter, and if you use an on-line mail service like Yahoo, GMAIL, or Hotmail, it is irrelevant. But still not a "bad" item.

3. Helps keep your kids safe online with parental controls (Microsoft Windows only)
-Useful if you have kids I suppose. Of course you can also block this stuff at the router level with many inexpensive consumer-grade routers if we are just talking about URL and content filtering.

4. Helps secure and monitor your home network
-So does a router. And does a much better job.

5. Automatically secures your PC when connecting to public wireless networks
-So does Vista and Windows 7 with their Public/Work/Home network classification. And unless your computer is setup to be intentionally insecure, this really isn't useful.

6. Block hackers from accessing your computer
-So does a router, and again, does a much better job.

7. Blocks phishing websites and authenticates trusted sites
-I can see this being useful if you use IE. Chrome and Firefox (and even IE8) already have various levels of this type of protection built-in. And they are only getting better.

8. Secures, stores, and manages login and personal information
-See #7.

9. Prevents hackers from eavesdropping and stealing information as you type
-Normally keyloggers and the like fall under the "malware" umbrella, so I'm not sure why this is listed separately and it makes me curious.

10. Identifies unsafe Web sites in your search results
-See #7.

I personally don't see a lot of "advantages" that NIS has over NAV. Norton doesn't have the 2011 stuff listed on their website that I could find, so maybe it brings more to the table? But going by the 2010 stuff, I would pick NAV, a router, and Chrome or Firefox.

I sell solutions, 95%+ hw to ummm how can I say it without getting in trouble, 'defence and intelligence. MBAM runs daily but nothing found since NIS 2009 replaced Panda Platinum Internet Security and Spyware Doctor paid version about 15 months back. stevieC has my SD lic now. I keep visiting dodgy sites and hoping I will get something to beat up Symantec about but no joy yet. I laughed at Norton users for years, and for good reason, laughed even more when NIS was suggested by our engineers as a replacement solution. Now I have it but don't know it's there. Just the thing for non IT savvy folks. No upgrading, no configuring, no pop ups (KIS is bad for that). You can't ask for more than that unless I'm missing something, and maybe I am?

I just don't see what (NIS2010, I have no experience with 2011 yet) offers over NAV2010 based on what I provided above.

I think I broke it down pretty well, and I see nothing wrong with proposing a router + NAV2010 + Firefox/Chrome over NIS2010; you end up with the same thing, except with a better hardware firewall solution.

I agree that firewalls are pretty much useless, unless used on public shared connections, such as an airport waiting area, etc.

I have been very happy with Vipre Enterprise (w/o Firewall). See, users love to click on anything that comes in an email, Facebook, Twitter, whatever, thus the infection vector. Vipre has done such a good job at that, we hardly ever visit computers anymore for infections. The URL cleansing feature is great! Think of it as a coffee enema for each email that shows up in a user's inbox. And we get reports on all of them. At first the reporting was annoying, now I find that I look forward to it.

No one suite is perfect, we still use other tools for when a person really wants to click on everything and infect their PC, but it happens once every 2-3 months rather than 6-8 per week. Vipre has been a great tool for us.

But, with safe browsing techniques (condom computing) the chance of infection is very very low. Chrome or Firefox, Adblock, HOSTS file, etc...you really don't need such A/V & A/SW suites. But, we're not the average users, we know better. Educating the end-user base is quite difficult, people are set in their ways...

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Wouldn't it be a better idea to put those URLs in as plain text and NOT as hyperlinks?

But then he can't "click on them"; makes it more fun to test it this way.

Anybody reading this thread should know well enough NOT to click them unless they are intentionally wanting to test something.

It is amazing to me that anybody who really has any recent experience with the Norton Antivirus or Norton Internet Security could call Norton bloated software. Norton has not been bloated software since at least 2009. It scans pretty fast and does not slow down a computer more than most other antivirus software. I laugh when so-called security experts call Norton bloated software, and then I erase their names and websites from consideration. They don't deserve to be called security experts if they can't get over their silly emotional dislike for Symantec and Norton software.

Even McAfee, which in my opinion is not as good as Norton, really can't be called bloated software anymore. It also scans faster, has less effect on system performance, and has a redesigned user interface.

There are antivirus programs that have more effect on system performance and scan slower than Norton. But nobody seems to call these programs 'bloated.'

In most of the testing of antivirus programs that I have seen Norton is usually somewhere in the top three programs or if a lot of programs are tested at least in the top five.

Or are we supposed to believe that the people behind AV-Comparatives, West Coast Labs, Virus Bulletin, PCWorld, Consumer Reports, PCMagazine, and all the rest don't know what they are doing? I would trust West Coast Labs before I trusted anybody here. If the professionals who test antivirus software do not know what they are doing, we might as well give up and unhook our computers from the internet.

When Norton went downhill years ago I myself switched to NOD32 and Kaspersky. Well, I have found that Norton runs very well today. And NOD32 and Kaspersky seem to be going the other direction. But I can evaluate software without some sort of emotional hangup.

Norton is a good product today. The people who made that happen deserve praise.

Originally Posted By: Mystic

Norton is a good product today. The people who made that happen deserve praise.

No, I think it is an EXCELLENT product today
wink.gif
I would just take their NAV over their NIS, that is my preference based on my ramblings in this thread.

However your other points regarding Norton are spot-on. They are nothing like they used to be. And their detection rate is fantastic.

Thank you. Now understand, I like Kaspersky. But I tested both the 2010 Kaspersky and the 2010 Norton and Norton scanned faster. Although of course Kaspersky scans faster after the first scan.

And in a lot of the testing results I have seen Norton (and other antivirus programs for that matter) has a higher rate of detection than Kaspersky. I can remember when the Kaspersky people used to brag that they had higher detection rates than Norton, McAfee, TrendMicro, etc. Guess what. They don't seem to do that anymore.

In my personal opinion some of the best antivirus programs are the paid version of Avira, G-Data, Norton, Kaspersky, and BitDefender. This is based on personal experience and the test results I have seen-not on emotions.

I am glad that Norton, an American antivirus program, seems to be making a comeback. But when Norton went downhill years ago I switched to Kaspersky (a Russian antivirus) and NOD32. I will use what works, and not what I would prefer because of some sort of emotional thing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sprintman
It isn't a debate. NIS has been 100% secure for about 16 mths. I'm doing my level best to break it!

I should give you my users. If there's a link, they'll click on it.

You know how many people in my department were let down when they realized they didn't get that free iPad??
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: brueggma

Weird, Sun (Oracle) released a new spec for Yellow Pages? :)

lol. It is a more secure way of sending clear text passwords across the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back