Advice On My First Bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering the Suzuki GS500f, and Kawasaki KLR 650 as pretty much my final choices. Ninja's just don't appeal to me, and I've been told the cruiser's I like (VStar 250, and the new Suzuki FI 250 are too small for the occasional interstate cruising I'll have to do. I kinda like the Honda 750 Spirit, but it's my third choice.

I'm told the later model KLR's can have an oil consumption problem, and the Suzuki can have a rust problem. Whatever bike I get, I'm gonna be stuck with for a long time. I'm scared of getting someone else's problem used. I can afford a new bike of last year's model on sale. Whadda ya guys think?

That's the first time I ever heard of a rust problem with the GS500. I know a couple guys who have them and I've never heard about any rust problems. I'd pick that one.

I remember the 'old' days, when you'd start out small, like a 125 or so, and work up.

I wouldn't worry about mechanical issues with either bike. Between those two I'd buy which style you'd like and go for it. Are you planning on dual sporting if you get the KLR?

I like the Suzuki a lot, but if it will be your only bike the KLR is a lot more versatile.

I strongly advise against a brand new bike for your first. I also will make the obligatory reminder not to skimp on the safety gear. Go to www.newenough.com for good deals.

Be safe and enjoy.

If I get the KLR, I will ride some unpaved, barely there roads, or some trails at very slow speeds.

I'm troubled by the oil consumption reports (several over 1 qt on longer interstate trips over 70 mph). Apparently no fix reported so far on the '08 and up 650's.

The rust probs on the Suzuki's were lower parts and may have been related to road salt.

Of course, I haven't even sat on either bike yet, so that will be a determining factor for sure. I'm 5'10, 200lbs.

I think the GS500 is a good starter bike, but I think you really should take a look at the Ninja 500R before making a decision. When you see the two bikes in person the GS500 looks good but also cheaper than the 500R. I believe the GS500 is made in Spain while the Ninja is made in Japan (I don't know that it effects quality). Most reviews put the 500R ahead of the GS500 in about every category. One person who started on a GS500 and moved on to other bikes like the R1 said the GS500 eventually felt a little limited on the highway as far as horsepower. The 500R gives you quite a bit more HP among other things.

The gs 500 pegs are poorly located. this halts your movent up close to the tank, and requires a funky long reach.

the bike would be better with rear swept pegs.

Id look for a different model

A Honda CB750 from the 90's is a great first bike.
Air cooled,hydraulic valve lash adjusters make this a simple machine to maintain.
With only 75 HP is not going to get wild but runs well enough,these little bikes ride like a 500cc.

I had a 93 for around the city,after jumping off the CBR 1100xx it felt like a bicycle,you can toss it around all day without strain.
No inherent problems with these bikes,just good solid transportation. JM2C

I know this sounds dumb, but why not go to a dealer and just explain this? They can recommend bikes for your intended use, budget, riding style, skill, etc.

First, both bikes have loyal fans. and your intended usage (if you really wanna go off-road) you really need the Kaw. That being said, the Kaw is a thumper - once again, many loyal fans - but not as smooth as the suzi. is a honda 600 outa your range?

The Honda would be better on the highway.

I had a GS500 some years back; I put a 1 tooth larger sproket on the trans. I still ran well on the highway, but it wasn't 'screaming' so much.(almost never carried a passenger).

The KLR is a tall machine, so cosider that too!
Shadows are bullet proof, Suzukis are too.

I think the KLR will keep you happy longer as long as you are comfortable with the height. I thought the oil consumption problem was limited to part of the '08 production and was no longer an issue but you can get all the info you want at linky

Good luck either way.

I've been riding a 1996 GS500 for the last 7 years, including this morning to work
55.gif
If you'd like to do some more research on the bike, I highly recommend checking out www.gstwin.com. The forum there is excellent and there's a great wiki page with all sorts of maintenance, repairs, upgrade info, etc.

My bike has no rust.

It's no touring bike but it does just fine on the highway. I routinely ride 75+ mph and it's fine.

I'm 6'3", 185 lbs and find the GS500 to be a comfortable size. Don't understand the comment on footpeg position - this is a standard style bike with the pegs below the seat and an upright riding position. They're positioned perfectly for shifting your weight, standing up when you cross a big bump, etc. My bony rear end does need a break after about an hour on the bike.

The GS500 isn't a fast motorcycle but it will smoke most cars. My car is a Saab 9-5 Aero which is pretty fast but no match for the bike.

I do all of my own maintenance on the bike, aside from mounting tires. If you're mechanically inclined the GS is a pretty simple bike to work on, and as I said above there are great resources available for troubleshooting and help.

jeff

A lot of the 250s are geared pretty low so you're buzzing at 60. There's someone on here with a virago 250 he re-sprocketed and claims 80 MPG.

My old virago 750 is not a speed demon at 45 hp but the torque means you don't have to be picky about exactly the right gear all the time, handy for beginners. It feels about 10% heavier than the nighthawk 250 they had at the MSF course.

Everyone says avoid a certain cc if you're a beginner, but bikes are sold worldwide and there are incentives: tax, licensing, to make the fastest, twitchiest sport bikes with a certain cc. My viragos wide powerband means no suprise wheely when you hit 8k rpm.
wink.gif

Glad to hear you're thinking of getting a bike. Welcome to the clan.

My only advice would be to buy a used bike from craiglist as your first bike. It would be cheaper and you could afford to get another if the style you get is determined to be unsuitable in the future. Or, it's just cheaper in the long run.

What type of bike you purchase would be determined by what type of riding you want to do primarily. Obviously if you buy the KLR you would be ABLE to do a bit of trail riding...but do you WANT to? Or, are you looking at tooling around on the highway about 95% of the time...that would indicate more of a simple street bike. Versatility is good if you need it, but can be a pain if it isn't your primary need.

On the other hand, as a new rider, some trail riding would give you some quick experience in bike handling. I believe it makes you a better rider to have ridden dirt. How you use it on the street, though, is up to you (no powersliding around the W-M parking lot.)

It's all good. Have a ball.

If you want one bike that can do everything fairly well, the KLR is the way to go. It's on the heavy side for anything but moderate trail riding and that means nice trails with lots of room. It's certainly no motocross machine but in the hands of a competent, strong and fairly large rider, it can be made to do some impressive off road riding.

Where the KLR really shines is it's ability to do just about any reasonable motorcycling tasks well. It can haul you all day long at 75 mph and get reasonable mileage doing it. It has a 23 litre fuel tank that will deliver excellent range if the bike is ridden at 60 mph. At that speed, I've done 350 miles on one tank which is around 50 miles per one USG. If ridden at lower speeds and lower rpms, the fuel mileage will be even better.

The KLR is certainly no slouch in the handling department either. In the hands of a good rider, it will astonish an average sport bike riders on a twisty road.

Your post is the first I've heard of the KLR having an oil consumption problem. Mine's an '06 and it doesn't use a drop. I've been running Rotella 15W40 in it from day one and it seems to like it. OCI at 3000 miles keeps it shifting nicely. Speaking of shifting, the KLR is one of the easiest shifting transmissions I've used. Shifting without the clutch is a crisp and precise. The only other bikes I've owned that shift as well if not a bit better are my vintage Yamahas. They're incredibly light shifters. It would have been nice if the KLR had come with a six speed. The bike can get pretty buzzy at 75 mph. Not that you feel it in your hands but the engine is vibrating pretty good at that speed. Not unusual for a big single though.

Bottom line is that if you want the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles, the KLR is the best bang for the buck.

If I were you, I'd buy a low mileage used machine that's been well maintained. You'll save a bundle and still have a great bike.

By the way, the Suzuki DR650 is also an excellent dual purpose machine.

why not a Suzuki sv650? good power not quite (pee yer pants) amount but still enough to get you into trouble. Good size aftermarket and internet support reliable good mileage ...cheap etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back