Trolling - What Gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Maybe we need a better new-member screening policy along with a 0 trolling tolerance spec that gets you banned immediately if you are found trolling so we can keep it professional?

old member got warned, banned, post deleted for trolling or other offenses as well...

I stand corrected... Never heard that term before or the other one they have listed...
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick R
This poor cavalier
lol.gif

ricer-45843.jpg

Oh... on second look, there IS car in the picture.

Concerning trolling: I am generally clueless, and can't see it.
I guess it is the same with most any personal beliefs - some people just can't wait to unload on others.

Being truthful I didn't even see the woman in the picture with the Cavalier the first time and not for the reasons you think either!
lol.gif

I've only ever seen one truly genuine and committed troll.

Profanity on the Ultimate Metal boards racked up 32,000 posts over 7 years, maintaining character perfectly

Hi all,

This is an interesting thread in as far that it very much illuminates the biggest change the information age has brought upon us. The '80s were about the proliferation of home computers. The '90s were about the rise of the information age and the WWW. The noughts were all about the rise of entertainment as the driving force behind advances. Everybody wants to be entertained, and should that entertainment be infused with information, it is even more desirable.

Usenet forums may have been primarily about information exchange of like-minded people. Internet forums may have started out as gathering places for people with common interests, but soon the desire for entertainment, for a well-rounded experience, became obvious. Why do you think that most large internet forums have off topic forums that transcend the breadth of topics covered by narrowly categorized forums? People like to shoot the breeze about all sorts of things with the people they have come to know.

I strongly propose that internet forums are about entertainment and infotainment for most people.

Individuals' reasons for spending time on forums may vary considerably. For example, I enjoy sharing my observations and views on many topics. Others may enjoy lecturing or arguing. Others may simply want to gain or share information. Most people do not fall into one category, but their interests are spread out.

At what point do a person's forum contributions become a clinical symptom of underlying personal issues? Maybe this could be the topic of an interesting discussion!

Cheers,
-J

It just bothers me these trolls...

If you aren't here to help or aren't here to learn then step aside and post your $%!#@ on your own Forum.
mad.gif

It wouldn't surprise me if trolls did own vehicles like those shown above. Making up for some short-coming I think.
wink.gif

It's just an Internet discussion forum-you're taking it far to seriously. Just ignore posts that you consider "trolling" and the problem is solved. Responding with comments like the above puts you at the same low level as the troll.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It just bothers me these trolls...

If you aren't here to help or aren't here to learn then step aside and post your $%!#@ on your own Forum.
mad.gif

It wouldn't surprise me if trolls did own vehicles like those shown above. Making up for some short-coming I think.
wink.gif

It's just an Internet discussion forum-you're taking it far to seriously. Just ignore posts that you consider "trolling" and the problem is solved. Responding with comments like the above puts you at the same low level as the troll.

+1

I've seen the posts by XCELLERATIONRULES, and I'll agree that he's a troll by BITOG standards. But his posts are NOTHING compared to what happens on a daily basis on other forums. Ya'll haven't SEEN trolling 'til you come across one of my page-long tears... I've recieved death threats over some of the rants I've posted on other forums. Trolling can be an art, and I find it pretty [censored] entertaining- but I try to keep it to a minimum on this and a few other sites.

BITOG is by far the most heavily policed forum that I've ever frequented- and I only put up with it because there's LOTS of good info to be had here; this place is head and shoulders above your average automotive forum. Maybe heavy-handed moderators are what's necessary to keep the riffraff in check on automotive sites... I dunno.

But do we really need MORE busy-bodies? If inane comments like those from XCELLERATIONRULES are the worst that BITOG has to offer, then ya'll are doing well. Does BITOG have an 'ignore' feature? That could be an easy solution.

Originally Posted By: onion
Does BITOG have an 'ignore' option? That could be an easy solution.

Yes. If you view someone's profile, there's an option near the top (right under the user summary) that says "Ignore this user."

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: onion
Does BITOG have an 'ignore' option? That could be an easy solution.

Yes. If you view someone's profile, there's an option near the top (right under the user summary) that says "Ignore this user."

There you go, Stevie. Problem solved.

I don't understand why you guys get so bent out of shape when others don't share your opinions.
If you don't agree with someones post just ignore it.
They still have a right to be heard.

Nothing wrong with a honest debate.

Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
I don't understand why you guys get so bent out of shape when others don't share your opinions....

Usually it's because of a personal attack or something like that that triggers the "bending".

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
I don't understand why you guys get so bent out of shape when others don't share your opinions....

Usually it's because of a personal attack or something like that that triggers the "bending".

Thank you for feeding the trolls and bringing this thread back to the top again. I was wondering who was going to bring the food.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Whatever you do, don't feed the trolls Beneful beef stew.

...especially with water, after midnight, and under bright lights!

Originally Posted By: Nick R
FWIW, I always find it amusing to picture trolls as these. At least most of the ones on youtube.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Ricer

Now that is a "Ricer" car for sure!
lol.gif

ricer-48377.jpg

Nah, his medicine ball launchers are not large enough, and his triple decker wingie thingie is just NOT tall enough!
lol.gif

(He also needs a wider rear track and flairs on a FWD car to qualify.
wink.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back