2006 Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.

dla

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I just picked up a used 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero 2.8T with 61,000 miles on it. Just by the carfax report all the previous oil changes were done at the Saab Dealer.

I'm looking for oil recommendation that meets the GM-LL-A025 standard. The owners manual calls for a 0W-40 oil.

I live in Maryland, so I see a wide range of operating temps. The car is only driven 2 or 3 times a week, but when it is driven it's a 17 mile commute to work at an average speed of 45 MPH.

You really have 2 great choices. M1 0W-40 or Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (GC). Your engine will love both of them. If Penzoil Ultra has their Euro blend available anytime you might want to try it. I just havent seen it here yet. Good luck and check out Saab Central for mechanical help.

M1 0W40 is an excellent oil for this car. I have one as well.
I've done a couple UOA's and they come back excellent. It's also able to go further than 12,000 mi. of hwy driving which doesn't sound like you do.
I had an 03' Saab 9-3 SS with the 2.0 and did several UOA's as well and tried GC. It was good but didn't last as long.

I've got RP 0W40 in my 06' Aero now however I'm about to trade it in and I tried to pull a sample with an oil extractor however it couldn't get into the oil pan--bummer. I've got over 15,000 mi. on it and looked forward to the results.

It's really hard to beat the M1 0W40 overall.
Also visit saabcentral.com or saabworld.net for more info.

Mobil 1 0w40 is one of the better formulations and I would run that in a heartbeat. You can get it just about anywhere.

Being the Motul fan I am, they do have their 8100 E-Tech 0w40 that's specifically formulated for newer turbo motors. This will be a mail order item but it is a very stout oil and worth the coin, in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Being the Motul fan I am, they do have their 8100 E-Tech 0w40 that's specifically formulated for newer turbo motors. This will be a mail order item but it is a very stout oil and worth the coin, in my opinion.

Hasn't E-Tech 0w-40 been discontinued?

Not sure. Lots of places still show it in stock. Another one I had forgotten about is Lubro-Moly Energy 0w40, a pretty good oil that's not too expensive.

Honestly I'm sure this motor is fine to run 5w40, of which there are countless choices.

Originally Posted By: Feffman
I run the Total Quartz Energy 9000 full synthetic in my 9-5 AERO.

Ditto on the Total Quartz Energy 9000. I run their 0W/30 in my wife's 9-3SC 2.0T as this oil meets the GM-LL-025A spec, and their 5W/40 in my 9-5 2.3t which is harder on oil and has nearly 300K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back