The misconception of over-inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether or not the centers will wear more depends on the vehicle, and the tires on it. For some, you can have the tires technically "over-inflated" by a good bit with no uneven wear. With others, even 2 psi over placard pressure is too much.

Think it depends upon the type of vehicle for the most part too; we have a chrystler caravan and my sister has the ford caravan - same tires, same air pressure in both sets.

Her tires are showing faster center wear then ours are.

I've always ran all the tires that come across my path slightly over the recommended psi on the placard, even on my trailers. Never had any ill effects.

The only truck I do not do this on, is the rear of my dodge diesel, as teh recommended psi is 80, which IS the max of the 10-ply tires on the truck. I only run 80 when we have the 5th wheel on the road, otherwise I stick to 70, sometimes even 65 with great results.

My tacoma and Rodeo both call for roughly 32-35psi; I run 40-42psi in their tires with no ill effects, and have been on the rodeo for over 13yrs with 5 different brands of tires.

My Max sidewall tire pressure rating is 44 psi,

michelins xones i am pretty sure,
In about 14 to 18 months, the fronts get changed before winter,
costco will mount new on rear and put the old in the front, then the cycle starts again.

I run anything from 38 to 44 psi and in winter down to 35 or even 32 if I have to drive over accumulated snow.

in theory, yes, if you over inflate, then one is supposed to see wear in the middle of the tire.

but I like the increased mpg of have 5 to 10 psi over the door jam.
the downside is that it is bumpy, and I lose little bit of cornering traction (less tire in contact with the pavement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back