Mopar Pennzoil/Mobil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dealer tells me that Mopar is in the process of changing oil suppliers from Mobil to Pennzoil for it's Mopar MaxPro packaged engine oils. I've used Mopar Max or MaxPro since the '70s in my vehicles and want to continue so is Pennzoil as good as Mobil? My new Jeep Liberty calls for 5w20 which my dealer parts guy says in the Mopar MaxPro line is a Pennzoil synthetic blend. Is this a good quality oil for my new Liberty 3.7 V6?

Yes indeed it is. Actually, Chrysler signed a contract with Shell about 5-years ago for the factory fill and bulk oil program at dealers. At that time Mobil still had the contract for the packaged products, now it sounds like Shell is taking that over also.

You have to kind of read between the lines on some of this stuff. Shell is factory fill at Chrysler, Shell/Pennzoil drops sponsorship of Childress Racing and signs a multi-year contract with Penske Racing, Penske runs Dodges in NASCAR, Shell gets contract on Mopar packaged oils.

Big money swapping hands.

Thanks guys, and Johnny, I had wondered if the Nascar deal might have something to do with the changeover. Mobil is leaving Penske racing next year as the sponsor of Sam Hornish's #77 Dodge and Shell/Pennzoil is joining Penske next year as the sponsor of Kurt Busch's #22 Dodge (Brad Keselowski is switching to the #2 Miller Lite car). It DID seem quite coincidental that Shell/Pennzoil announces a multi-year (and, I'm sure multi-million dollar) contract to support a Penske Dodge at the same time that Mobil is pulling out of the Penske camp and then I'm told that the line of Mopar MaxPro oils is changing suppliers from Mobil to Pennzoil. A little "too much" of a coincidence, that is! So I guess the 15w40 diesel oil that I get as Mopar MaxPro brand will start being Shell Rotella. A long-haul trucker I know has been telling me that I should use the Rotella in my Dodge 2500 Cummins diesel for a while now anyway.

I suspect you will see Shell/Pennzoil on every car the Penske organization races, from NASCAR to Indy Car. But only one of them, the Kurt Bush car will be all yellow.

Well, I got the dealer to order me 4 cases (12 qts each) of 5w20 for my new Jeep. How is the shelf life on motor oil? This is probably enough to do me about 3 years! And it came in new style packaging; even the shape of the bottles is new and the label on each qt is new with a picture of a piston on it now. I guess this is the new Pennzoil supplied motor oil.

Last edited:
Shelf life is between 5-8 years depending on who you ask. Three years is no problem at all.

Any way you can take a picture of this new product and post it on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back