SuperTech 4967 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Ive used the Motorcraft FL-400s on many toyotas that take the 4967. Basically, if it will fit without touching anything, I use it! It used to be only about $.50 more at walmart than the supertechs.

Is the 3614 size filter OK to use on an 08' Corolla?

PS: In 1987 Consumer Reports magazine rated Fram the best oil filter. Many old timers began (and continue) to buy Fram without knowing that the internals have had cardboard endcaps for years. These people go into WM and think they are buying a high quality filter. I used Fram until coming to this site a few years ago. You live and you learn.

Doesn't yours use a cartridge filter like my 09 Vibe? Either way I would use the 4967 until your warranty is over, then try others at your own risk. Ive used the FL-400s on a 1994 tercel and 03 tundra for years with no problems. It would fit on the 2000 corolla but was touching a rubber hose (that was the older, longer FL-400s).

Last edited:
Ive used the Motorcraft FL-400s on many toyotas that take the 4967. Basically, if it will fit without touching anything, I use it! It used to be only about $.50 more at walmart than the supertechs.

Is the 3614 size filter OK to use on an 08' Corolla?

PS: In 1987 Consumer Reports magazine rated Fram the best oil filter. Many old timers began (and continue) to buy Fram without knowing that the internals have had cardboard endcaps for years. These people go into WM and think they are buying a high quality filter. I used Fram until coming to this site a few years ago. You live and you learn.

Doesn't yours use a cartridge filter like my 09 Vibe? Either way I would use the 4967 until your warranty is over, then try others at your own risk. Ive used the FL-400s on a 1994 tercel and 03 tundra for years with no problems. It would fit on the 2000 corolla but was touching a rubber hose (that was the older, longer FL-400s).

09 was when they went away from the 1ZZFE motor to the newer motor.

FL-400S said:

I think that's some of it, I sort of remember that. CR does change things. I used them also, figured they were real good. But then found Sears filters, and their oil, were cheaper. No internet, no cutting open to see. Fram sort of sounds like something that filters something.

The ST sure looks a lot like a Mo-bile One without red adbv and fancy paint job.
34.gif

Wonder if anyone can find that Consumer Report article ... it would be interesting to see how they came up with that conclusion.
54.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Wonder if anyone can find that Consumer Report article ... it would be interesting to see how they came up with that conclusion.
54.gif

This is from a Demeber 2005 Consumer Reports Q&A:

Oil filter, best

Q. Who makes the best oil filters?

A. It has been some time since our last oil-filter test, but if you stick with a major brand, like WIX or Fram, which meets or exceeds original equipment specs, you will be just fine. Most important is changing your oil on time and using the proper viscosity of oil.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/discu...-repair-704/#2a

Originally Posted By: Soobs
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

54.gif

This is from a Demeber 2005 Consumer Reports Q&A:

Oil filter, best

Q. Who makes the best oil filters?

A. It has been some time since our last oil-filter test, but if you stick with a major brand, like WIX or Fram, which meets or exceeds original equipment specs, you will be just fine. Most important is changing your oil on time and using the proper viscosity of oil.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/discu...-repair-704/#2a

Tisk Tisk
31.gif

What are the advantages to using the Motorcraft FL 400 S over any 4967 filter? I used a Wix 4967 equivalent for my wife's Yaris and looked at the FL 400 S, it appeared to be too wide and I was concerned about oil escaping. Perhaps if running a synthetic the extra media allows for an extended OCI?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
it appeared to be too wide and I was concerned about oil escaping

What do you mean by that?

I was concerned that the passages from the engine to the filter would not match up properly, possibly causing a leak.

I have tried the larger FL-400S on my wife's Yaris and discovered that the gasket is fully inside the filter plate and the filter threads in perfectly. I would recommend anyone with the 1NZ-FE engine to give a Motorcraft FL-400S a try.

Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry
I have tried the larger FL-400S on my wife's Yaris and discovered that the gasket is fully inside the filter plate and the filter threads in perfectly. I would recommend anyone with the 1NZ-FE engine to give a Motorcraft FL-400S a try.

As long as they understand the risk and are out of warranty would be the only additional info I'd suggest.

Are you THAT concerned about liability for this site Bill?

I'm concerned that people coming here for facts get the WHOLE story. I'd never want to put another person's vehicle in danger since some people have quite a bit of their income into vehicles, have to depend on their vehicle to get them to work to pay for it.

I'd never tell a friend, family or co-worker to run something that may cause an issue with their vehicle. To blindly state run xx filter that is not spec'd, EVEN recommended by the manufacture of the filter is not wise IMO. Even if it fit or not.

Bill

I have that engine in my family "fleet" and would never run the fl-400s size. It is not necessary to out think the engine designers, that's why. The slightly longer camry 4 cyl filter is the same in every way except the length, that is a way to get more filter holding capacity. Toyota recommends the Fl-400s width(not length) size for the v6 camry, for example. Now why would a large company do that when they could just use one kind of filter on both types? I'll just use what I am supposed to.

A million kinds of filters have a 3/4-16 thread, and will fit on the engine.

This is what I mean when I say it is a question for psychology class, not meant to offend. Meaning people just want to do it "my way", so they are the decision maker, not some owner's manual telling them what to do. Not meant in a derogatory way, I have a good dose of this "my way" in myself too. It's only an observation.

Well, I never said FL-400S is a perfect fit replacement for the Toyota filter, and I explicitly indicated that it was my recommendation, not a factory recommended replacement.

Can we not individually recommend anything off manual without putting big warning stickers on it? Can't people get the context that these are individual opinions? It's not like I said the FL-400S is far and away better than Toyota's recommendation and anyone who isn't running one on their 1NZ-FE is a moron.

Goodness. I feel like I'm being watched.

There is nothing wrong with your logic of the larger filter, if you don't mind me interfering here with the wider discussion. It may well be better. I just don't see the necessity.

If I can interject more, the use of any oil filter not specified in a reputable filter manual, even the just slightly longer ones like I use, will be a red flag at the dealer if there are any warranty issues. They will home in on it like you won't believe.
IMHO.

Well, I never said FL-400S is a perfect fit replacement for the Toyota filter, and I explicitly indicated that it was my recommendation, not a factory recommended replacement.

Can we not individually recommend anything off manual without putting big warning stickers on it? Can't people get the context that these are individual opinions? It's not like I said the FL-400S is far and away better than Toyota's recommendation and anyone who isn't running one on their 1NZ-FE is a moron.

Goodness. I feel like I'm being watched.

It could "raise a red flag" at the dealership if there is an engine problem and they see there is a filter on the engine that is not specified by the filter manufacture.

In other words, there's no problem running a aftermarket filter (Purolator, WIX, FRAM, SuperTech, .... whatever), IF that filter is the one that is specified by the filter maker for that particular vehicle. IF the FL-400S is specified for that car, then no problem ... but if some OTHER Motorcraft filter is specified, then there could be a problem with the dealer honoring a warranty claim related to an engine issue. Just sayin' ...
whistle.gif

Can we not individually recommend anything off manual without putting big warning stickers on it? Can't people get the context that these are individual opinions?

I can understand Bill's position that it doesn't hurt to mention the disclaimer, but deep down I kind of feel that if some goomba randomly puts on a wrong filter based on unsolicited opinion from some amateur on a forum, ignoring the manufacturer's application guide, or the owner's manual, and damages their car....well....stupid should hurt.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Can we not individually recommend anything off manual without putting big warning stickers on it? Can't people get the context that these are individual opinions?

I can understand Bill's position that it doesn't hurt to mention the disclaimer, but deep down I kind of feel that if some goomba randomly puts on a wrong filter based on unsolicited opinion from some amateur on a forum, ignoring the manufacturer's application guide, or the owner's manual, and damages their car....well....stupid should hurt.

And it should. Be SADLY these days, people Google and cut /run / paste on their site "BITOG said to run filter xx on x engine". Then someone comes back with a blown engine and BITOG is to blame and we all are clueless.

Trust me, I've seen it already.
33.gif

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Trust me, I've seen it already.
33.gif

Bill

I'm not surprised. Nothing shocks me anymore.
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back