Does Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck meet MB 229.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years ago M-1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 was advertised as meeting mercedes sheet 228.3 which is required for the Dodge/Freightliner/Mercedes 2.7L I-5 Turbo-Diesel Sprinter Van.
I recently found M-1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 at a very attractive price ($21/Gallon), but the container now does not list any MB approvals; nor does the Mobil web-site.
Has it been reformulated?
In what way could if fail to meet MB's 228.3 spec when such not syn oils like Shell Rotella-T 15W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 do??
Just that Mobil is tired of paying MB for approval ratings?

More about marketing. Delvac 1 ESP lists 228.3 while TDT does not.

You probably saw the old CI-4 o CI-4+ TDT that listed 228.3.

I'd grab some T6.

Your title mentions 229.3, the body says 228.3?

The 228.3 listed oils (updated 7/29/2010) make no mention of any Mobil-1 (plenty of Delvac flavors, as you noted).

The 229.3 listed oils include Esso Ultron Turbo Diesel 5W-40, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40, and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40 ... Note the non-exact name matches for the USA, "Turbo Diesel Truck."

I'm fairly certain I saw discussion, either on BITOG or the Benzworld forum, arguing that the USA TDT product was not the same formulation as any of the products on the 229.3 list. Memory is the posters were making the case that TDT and Delvac 1 were the same formulation in the past, and then the two diverged, perhaps at the CI to CJ transition?

Quote:

The MB 229.5 and 229.51 listed oils (later specs) still include various Mobil 1 and Delvac products, so XOM is obviously paying MB to test some products for approval. Perhaps just not as many?

Last edited:
What is the application? We have very successfully run TDT in w123 and w210 MB diesels with great UOA results.

I have a feeling that when they went from CI-4+ to CJ-4, TDT and Delvac 1 stopped being the same oil, with TDT becoming a cheaper, lesser, more down-market oil than Delvac 1, ESP, etc., allowing XOM to charge more for the fancy, lesser used MB certified oils.

The good news on the 2.7 Sprinters is they're out of warranty, no DPF, and are very tough mechanically-any quality CJ-4 HDEO (including TDT) would get the job done.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The good news on the 2.7 Sprinters is they're out of warranty, no DPF, and are very tough mechanically-any quality CJ-4 HDEO (including TDT) would get the job done.

Yes but the bad news is they have an EGR that is a fragile part of the engine design.
A good oil even a 229.31 or 229.51 spec oil would be to the owners advantage as those EGR's are notorious as to clogging/
JMO

Originally Posted By: AMRoberts
Your title mentions 229.3, the body says 228.3?

The 228.3 listed oils (updated 7/29/2010) make no mention of any Mobil-1 (plenty of Delvac flavors, as you noted).

The 229.3 listed oils include Esso Ultron Turbo Diesel 5W-40, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40, and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 5W-40 ... Note the non-exact name matches for the USA, "Turbo Diesel Truck."

I'm fairly certain I saw discussion, either on BITOG or the Benzworld forum, arguing that the USA TDT product was not the same formulation as any of the products on the 229.3 list. Memory is the posters were making the case that TDT and Delvac 1 were the same formulation in the past, and then the two diverged, perhaps at the CI to CJ transition?

Quote:

The MB 229.5 and 229.51 listed oils (later specs) still include various Mobil 1 and Delvac products, so XOM is obviously paying MB to test some products for approval. Perhaps just not as many?

Yes, I meant to title the thread 228.3; but any 228.3, 228.5, 229.3 or 229.5 will satisfy my OM 647 engine.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
What is the application? We have very successfully run TDT in w123 and w210 MB diesels with great UOA results.

MB engine is OM 647 in '06 Sprinter 2500 camper with 50,000 miles. Highway cruising at 55 on long distance cross-country voyages. Service doesn't get much easier than this; but since each of my winter cruises tend to cover 11,000-12,000 miles, it's nice to finish without a mid-trip oil change. That's why I'm contemplating Mobil 1 TDT rather than the Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 I usually use and change at 8,000-10,000 miles. It's easy enough to spend an extra $20 bucks and use M-1 0W-40 European Car Formula with explicit 229.5 approval, just though someone might know that the TDT was just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back