UOA with Lubro-moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on a Case 821 front end loader with a Cummins 8.3L engine. It has about a 20 quart oil capacity so I used three cans of MoS2. We used to use Texaco Ursa that had a descent amount of Moly. We switched to an oil that didn't have any and the iron count went from single digits to 20 which is about the same now. That might be coming from the high fuel content which about doubled since the last oil change. Even though the unit does see a lot of idling, the last time the fuel was this high it was due to a leaky fuel pump. I'm going to replace the fuel lift pump in hopes to bring the fuel level back down. The unit has 9740 total hours with 322 hours on this oil change.

Iron 22
Chrome 1
Al 1
Cu 1
Pb 1
Sil 3
Sod 5
Pot 1
Moly 163
Bor 9
Mag 978
Ca 1328
Ph 947
Zn 1155

Fuel 4.6%
Soot .2%
Vis Cs 12.6
TBN 4.7
Ox 16
Nit 23

Use Chevron Delo 400 or Ursa LE and you dont need Lubro-Moly. BTW not much Moly in Lubro-Moly.

I'd keep an eye on the fuel if it's "double" the last UOA. Clearly, you already have a plan of attack; that's good.

Rest looks really good.

Last edited:
Regardless of the higher-trending iron (which is really not all that high taken on it's own), and the high fuel (not related to the oil), this is a great report for a 9700 hour engine.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I think the MoS2 particles might not be accurately detected with a typical UOA.

why?

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I think the MoS2 particles might not be accurately detected with a typical UOA.

MoS2 absolutely shows up in a used-oil test. It is obvious, especially when used with an oil that does not contain any moly, such as M1 TDT.

Originally Posted By: zddp77
BTW not much Moly in Lubro-Moly.

Yes there is, tons of it, well more like grams of it. Nice to see a UOA with MoS2 in a diesel. Who was it that always claims about MoS2 eating copper in a diesel environment?

Last edited:
We use an engine oil that does not normally contain any moly so it seems to show up pretty well. I've done about a half dozen more with similar results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back