Jet Oil for Cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of airplane oil? There's a huge variety of airplane engines out there...rotary, piston, jet, etc.

Different, not "better".

Aircraft oils are blended for the operating conditions experienced by aircraft and are not generally considered suitable for car engines. Even though they may both be gasoline piston engines, they have very different requirements.

Jet engines are even more different.

We would use jet turbine oil in the eaton superchargers for our thunderbird supercoupes. But that car had a separate oil for the supercharger.

Turbine oil is nothing like motor oil however.

I would use jet and airplane oil without hesitation in my car...... but only to lubricate the hood latch, hinges and emergency brake cables.

In the motor?? why?

Turbine oil has different additives and basestock blend as compared to a motor oil. Good or bad I won't say cause I do not really know.

Quote:
Can oils for airplanes be used in cars? Are they better or just different?

The answer is no, as Steve said above.

Jet engine (turbine) oils are low viscosity oils with mainly anti-oxidants and no antiwear additves or detergent/dispersants like that used in automotive engine oils.

The esters used for these base oils are not compatible with most automotive seals.

Last edited:
I used to blend Mobil Jet Oil II into my OC's to lower the viscosity without really weakening the film strength. I liked it. No ill effect. Definately wouldn't use it straight. Don't want it on my hand either. Tricresylphosphate apparently damages nerves? Yuk.

In another lifetime, we would put jet engine oil in support vehicles on the airfied. the oil was red, it never caused a v8 engine to fail, go figure. that was 1966.

In 1966 I believe they used a higher viscosity diester which is much different than today's low viscosity polyol ester.

As as well all know, if an engine had problems, it simply went back to the motor pool for rebuild or replacement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rican
I always wondered the same thing, cuz I can get a hold of jet engine oil (F-16)

My buddy can, and has used plane fuel in his car. Two weeks later he fried his catalytic converters due to clogging them up with lead.

Moral of the story: Just because you can, does not mean you should.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
Military runs JP8 in diesels all the time in tactical situations.

It's close to DF-1 with additives. It causes about a 5% power and fuel economy hit, neither of which matter much most of the time. Every new US military diesel powered vehicle has to meet vehicle spec performance requirements on JP-8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back