Dexcool vs. Prestone 'Extended Life' antifreeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading about a fellow who was having trouble with a GM car's cooling system.

The discussion led to a long article about the many problems associated with Dexcool, and the class action lawsuit:

http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/gm_dexcool.html

I had no idea that GM was putting sulfuric acid to their coolant!

I have been using Prestone's 'Extended Life' coolant, which is 'Dexcool approved'.

My question: is the Prestone the same formulation, or a similar formulation as Dexcool?

I have had no problems, so far, using it, but if it's prone to the same soft of trouble that has been well documented with Dexcool, I don't want to put it in either of my vehicles again!

One of them is my cherry 1988 Toyota Celica. It's old enough now that if I needed some cooling system parts, they could be difficult to find.

And, it's due to have the coolant changed this summer.

So my question is: am I safe from the many problems caused by Dexcool, using the Prestone 'Dexcool approved' 5 year coolant.

Thanks guys!

I don't know that sulfuric acid is in there - perhaps sulfates, which are likely in most chemistries...

The issue is the eha which effects plasticizers. Perhaps some (zerex?) contain less or a more benign form, but do some searching - lots of info on here.

Originally Posted By: Lightsilver
I have been using Prestone's 'Extended Life' coolant, which is 'Dexcool approved'.

My question: is the Prestone the same formulation, or a similar formulation as Dexcool?

If it's an 'all-makes, all-models' it's a Dexclone - that is, a coolant very similar in formulation to Dexkill.

Personally I wouldn't use Rustkool in anything. I would switch it out with a better formulated coolant (one that does not contain 2EHN), such as G-05 or Peak Global Lifetime.

GM had other severe cooling system issues with some engines that had nothing to do with the coolant.

I would not trust Dexcool to go the claimed 150,000mi duration.

2 yrs would be a recommended flush interval for the wise.

This GM defect potentially effects my car: dexcool yes/no

I was KIDDING about the sulfuric acid; was referring to the way Dexcool eats seals, gaskets, radiators, heater cores and water pumps.

I wouldn't trust ANYTHING to last 150,000 miles in a car.

My 88 Toyota Celica is licensed as a collector car, and only gets about 1 to 2K a year. But, I planned to change the coolant, because it's been 5 years.

My other vehicle, a 2005 Vibe (Toyota Matrix twin) with the Toyota 1ZZ-FE engine, only gets about 6K a year, but I do ALL the scheduled maintenance as if it was used under 'rough service', or whatever they call it in the owner's manual. Oil changes at 3000 miles (only twice a year) and everything else that's recommended. I tend to keep my cars for a LONG time.

It has had the Prestone coolant in it since 2007, when the original Toyota 2 year fluid needed to be replaced.

I believe in doing maintenance on the schedule.

The gallon of Prestone 'extended life' is 'recommended and formulated for all vehicles that require Dexcool coolant'.

It also says 'Prestone Dexcool Approved coolant has been approved by General Motors to be licensed as a Dexcool product under the GM 6277M application'.

It sounds from reading the fine print, which I have read before, but BEFORE I knew that Dexcool causes so many problems, that this Preston product, which I've always trusted, is the same, or very similar, to the problematic Dexcool.

Is that what the more informed members of this board would conclude, as well?

The strange thing is, I've been using it in my two vehicles long enough to do 3 changes with it, and it has come out, when I drain it after 5 years, as clean as when I put it in.

I always drain into a light colored pan, and I've seen absolutely none of the scale or sludge that Dexcool is famous for.

Darn, I LIKED using this stuff, because I used to have to change antifreeze every 2 years, using the 'standard' Peak or Prestone formulation.

Is there another product that is good for 5 years, without the many problems that Dexcool has?

Thanks, guys.

Originally Posted By: Lightsilver
I was KIDDING about the sulfuric acid; was referring to the way Dexcool eats seals, gaskets, radiators, heater cores and water pumps.

Utter baloney.

As a fleet owner I can tell you that this simply does not happen to most of us. It's been blown way out of proportion and hyped to the max by people like yourself.

Dexcool is still in use. Probably in more cars than any other coolant. Maybe a million or even more?

Keep a'screamin'.

This stuff you have been using Prestone extended life is Dexcool and contains 2-EHA. And I would even say that it is not quite as good as the GM/Havoline Dexcool.It worked pretty good for you didn't it? Most people who trash Dexcool don't really know what they are talking about.

Dexcool is an OAT formula which is what gives it long life and like any OAT formula it can potentially be harder on some plastic than IAT formulas. The main problem with Dexcool is it does not tolerate air in the system.

If you don't want to use Dexcool, and you don't want to pay the extra for Toyota's red 2 year coolant that is OE for your vehicles, you really only have 2 choices in the aftermarket G-05 or Peak Global.

Don't know about the "hype", but my company's fleet of 5.7 GMC & Chevy full size vans had 50% with LIM failures within 5 years and average of 150,000 miles, and my mechanic has an S-15 (Sonoma?) 4.3 pickup that showed ZERO symptoms & THREW A ROD in the space of a THREE MILE lunch run, requiring another motor. That's enough proof for me!

BTW, in your '88 Celica, I'd stick with good old style Zerex or Pride 1000 green AF, I'd even be a little worried about putting Asian Vehicle in a car that old. My
49.gif

That's been hashed over a million times but those IMG will fail regardless of the coolant type. The Toyota red was used back in '88 and is formulated for copper-brass radiators, bi-metal engines.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Don't know about the "hype", but my company's fleet of 5.7 GMC & Chevy full size vans had 50% with LIM failures within 5 years and average of 150,000 miles, and my mechanic has an S-15 (Sonoma?) 4.3 pickup that showed ZERO symptoms & THREW A ROD in the space of a THREE MILE lunch run, requiring another motor. That's enough proof for me!

Sucks for you. We run a fleet here, too, and we had absolutely ZERO issues with our 5.7's, with one drivetrain STILL RUNNING in a local car from a wrecked one! Both Silverados and Savana 3500's. And we run them way past 150k miles.

The thing was we weren't out on the Net screamin' our lungs out about how good our trucks ran. You never hear from the gazillions who were happy, just the unfortunate few.

There are millions like me who never had the troubles you speak of.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
BTW, in your '88 Celica, I'd stick with good old style Zerex or Pride 1000 green AF, I'd even be a little worried about putting Asian Vehicle in a car that old. My
49.gif

I bought that car new, and until I saw the Prestone Extended Life coolant in a store, I never used anything but Prestone or Peak, and changed it every 2 years.

I THOUGHT the new Prestone stuff was just a better fluid, that also met GM's requirements. I like the idea of only having to do my coolant every 5 years, instead of every 2 years.

BTW: I bought the 88 Celica brand new with 6 miles on the odo, and now it has 63K miles on it. It's my toy Toyota :)

If you don't mind premixed Antifreeze, Zerex makes an Asian Vehicles formula antifreeze with a 5 year 150,000 mile rating. Their website says you can order it through NAPA dealers

I would run toyota antifreeze in a toyota vehicle and let that be the end of it. Saving $5 on antifreeze is really kind of silly in my book, when the optimal chemistry could be in there...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I would run toyota antifreeze in a toyota vehicle and let that be the end of it. Saving $5 on antifreeze is really kind of silly in my book, when the optimal chemistry could be in there...

When I was looking for replacements for Pink (which there are none) I priced Red which was $24 (cheapest local) vs $11 for Peak Global lifetime.

I went with the PGL and have NO worries. More than twice the cost. If I went with Pink 50/50 (which means you NEVER get the old stuff out) then it would have been $19 times 2gallons.

Take care, Bill

Again, in the big scheme of things, small change.

We have had a lot of experience with Asian radiators, and they have ALL been quite unreliable, this is across Toyota, Honda and Acura. Id want the right chemistry in there to be sure that optimal longevity is obtained. Over a 200k mile ownership, this could amount to an entire radiator in my experience.

Originally Posted By: PeteTheFarmer
If you don't mind premixed Antifreeze, Zerex makes an Asian Vehicles formula antifreeze with a 5 year 150,000 mile rating. Their website says you can order it through NAPA dealers

I can NEVER drain all the water/coolant out of a car. I need the 100% pure antifreeze, unfortunately.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

When I was looking for replacements for Pink (which there are none) I priced Red which was $24 (cheapest local) vs $11 for Peak Global lifetime.

I went with the PGL and have NO worries. More than twice the cost. If I went with Pink 50/50 (which means you NEVER get the old stuff out) then it would have been $19 times 2gallons.

Take care, Bill

It sounds like the Peak Global Lifetime is the best bet.

If I add up all the advice, there is NO good antifreeze for my '88 Toyota.

I have to put SOMETHING in, and I'd rather use a 5 year formulation. PGL sounds like it's the best bet.

It SHOULD be better than Dexcool, and shouldn't be any WORSE for my car than a 2 year Prestone, Zerex, or Peak.

Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
Is your Celica an Alltrac??

No, it's just a Celica ST. That's what I could afford to buy, and pay cash for, in 1988. But it has AC that works far better than the R134a systems, an electric sunroof, upgraded stereo, and a 5 speed manual transmission.

Not a very fancy car, but a nice one, and very reliable, over the years. I still get the same mileage as when it was new: about 30MPG.

I've paid cash for EVERY car I've ever bought: 9 cars; 5 new, 4 used.

I wrote a check for over 19K for my last car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back