3/8" ratchet feedback needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Well, I guess you could have used the 1/2 breaker bar rather than using 3/8 ratchet but then there would have been no story :)

The kids set didn't have a breaker bar
wink.gif
LOL
grin2.gif

And as I said, young and foolish. Didn't expect to break the 3/8th's ratchet back then, let alone the 1/2" drive one.

8279eb6709a06f79de3e2110.L._AA300_.jpg

Here is the description "Provides Constant Drive Action with the Twist Action Handle. Twist Action speeds fastening and loosening. Thumb operated reverse switch and quick release button. Works in tight spaces - Requires less than 1 degree arc swing in Twist Action mode. 3/8" drive, Pear Read ratchet design. Meets or exceeds ANSI standards."

I had been eying this for at least a year. But it had been out of stock at most Walmarts that I visited. Yesterday I saw it hanging on the rack. I finally gave in and bought it. The tools are becoming more like shoes or jewelery. I buy them because I like them even though I might end up using them once in a while. I just like having them.

With that background, I can say that this is a very nice tool and the price is certainly right. The only thing which I would change about this is that to change direction, you need two hands unless there is a load on it. The direction switching knob and the thumbwheel spins together without load.

- Vikas

I got some of the Duralast stuff at AutoZone and really dig all of it. I got the standard 3/8" and 1/4" ratchets and love 'em to death! Nice weighting, beautifully finished, smooth action, and I didn't know how much I was going to love the little thumbswitch instead of those crummy two-hands jobs where the device spins ith the ratcheting action. It's very intuitive and you can tell which direction it's going just by looking at it. The Duralast stuff is a little pricier than the WalMart stuff, and maybe close to the same price as Lowe's and Home Depot's stuff. It's USA made and has a lifetime warranty like Craftsman or the like.

Anywho, that's my recommendation:)

Last edited:
I used the Stanley rotator ratchet for routine maintainance over last couple of weekends. It came very handy. Many of the bolts had not much clearance to swing the ratchet and the rotating feature made removal and installation a pleasure. The ratchet head is "fat" which can be considered a con. The thmubwheel is used to change the direction of the rathet and can NOT be used to finger tighten bolt. That is a minor quibble because using the ratator gets the job done in similar fashion.

The rotator has 3:1 ratio i.e. three revolution of the handle makes one revolution of the socket and thus it has mechanical advantage.

If you are looking for a all around inexpensive yet decently built ratchet, you should consider the Stanely rotator.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
I got some of the Duralast stuff at AutoZone
It's USA made and has a lifetime warranty like Craftsman or the like.

Really? All the Duralast branded tools I've seen at AutoZone are made in Taiwan (and more expensive than their Craftsman counterparts).

Originally Posted By: scurvy

Really? All the Duralast branded tools I've seen at AutoZone are made in Taiwan (and more expensive than their Craftsman counterparts).

I would argue that most taiwan made tools are better than most american made craftsman tools. Craftsman raised panel wrenches and ratches suck. Also now the Craftsman professional wrenches are made in china, same price though. Craftsman lifetime warranty will soon be worthless if you value american maded tools.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
I would argue that most taiwan made tools are better than most american made craftsman tools. Craftsman raised panel wrenches and ratches suck.

I still have no problem with the wrenches I just bought at Sears - my second full set (to compliment the set I got 12 years ago). I do agree their tools are not being finished with the same care they used to but all of mine still work perfectly. We're both entitled to our opinions.
56.gif

I've only seen their new spline wrenches made in China, but if they continue to make tools offshore I will gladly begin purchasing SK, Mac, Matco, Wright, Armstrong or even Snap-on. I'm only a weekend wrench and Craftsman has always done fine by me so far.

Just picked up a nice Snap-On 1/4" drive with the swivel handle to replace the Stanley that broke. Proved to be very useful for working on the Focus.

Originally Posted By: scurvy

Pretty sure. All my boxes and tags say "Made in USA" Are you referring to the Great Neck stuff? There is a bunch of other Duralast stuff I didn't buy, like pliers and stuff. That may be made somewhere else. All I bought were ratchets, some combo wrenches, and a poop-ton of sockets.

And I can say with confidence that the Duralast ratchets are wwwaaaayyyy nicer than the comparable Craftsmans. I was just gifted that $300 260-some piece Craftsman set with everything in it. That is my backline set now, because I just like my DL stuff so much.

Show us pictures of alleged USA made duralast ratchets, last I was at autozone all their ratchets were chinese or taiwan. I'm not saying they aren't decent for the price (actually you would do better at HF) but I've never heard anyone claim they are USA made unless you got them years ago when they first came out and maybe there were some USA rats.

Last edited:
You may be right. I swore the stuff I got was USA stuff, but have since thrown the packaging away. (Like a year ago... no digging in the trash can and finding that!) I pulled out my ratchets and a few sockets and they don't specify their origin on them.

I was in AZ today picking up some of that MC5K on sale and looked at a few pieces like mine I thought were US made, and they said Taiwan.

I stand corrected!! I'm sorry for that error. I wish I had some of the packaging MY tools came in lying around to see if I really am crazy, or if maybe I bought some old USA made stock. I guess we'll just go with "I'm crazy" for now. :)

Regardless of where they were made, I am still very happy with my Duralast tools and haven't found anything in their price range I like more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back