Problems with wax lasting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Lincoln Continental that I bought about a year ago from a family member. Since I've owned it, I've used the clay bar on it twice, and waxed it about 6 times. The wax doesn't seem to last more than 4-6 weeks. I've always used Meguires. The last two times I waxed, I tried Mothers. Any ideas?

In my experience, Mother's wax does not last long. 4 weeks is pretty typical for Mothers. The Meguiars NXT seems to last longer and leaves an equally good finish. Try a different kind/brand that lasts longer.

Meguar's doesn't last all that long for me either. Roughly 2-3 weeks at most, but it gives a good shine. I found their 3 step system lasted longer than the all in one Deep Crystal Cleaner Wax.

You'd probably need to move up to a professional wax like 3m or Zaino, others will chime in and give their two cents.

I will say this, the 3 step will clean up the paint, polish it and then using the carnuba wax will probably make it last longer as the Polish will nourish the paint and really get that shine and gloss out.

You need to move past waxes and into synthetic sealants like Wolfgang and Klasse. They will last several months and can very easily be re-applied or refreshed. I only need to do Klasse twice a year on my car, with a quick touch-up after 3 months.

The newer synthetic waxes (a commonly available one is Eagle One Nanowax) will last longer.

Here is what's possible with Klasse and a bit of your time. This was all done BY HAND. No image enhancement or touch-up. (this is my old car)
Sidereflect2.jpg

I also am a big megiars fan but their red bottle stuff does not last. the gold lasts a little longer and so does the nxt. there's a leading consumer magazine that tests waxes for durability, shine, etc. check it out. black magic was a top scorer. 3M products are normallly very good.

I use NuFinish and find it lasts about 9-11 months on my garage keep car at night. Megiars is nice and showy but, short lived in my experience. Use a polymer protectant.

+1 on the NuFinish. Despite it's detractors, I've used it for years and swear by it. I tried some of the others (applied Rejex to my Toyota...a TON of work and so-so results for the effort I thought). You may not get the "deep shine" that Zaino and some of the other "high zoot" products provide but if you're looking for long lasting protection (and can't wax frequently when the winters are long and cold like where I live) it can't be beat.

When I had my boat I used to get a Teflon polish from west marine. It was a liquid polish but that stuff would hold up for a year on the boat. I tried it on my Explorer with a buffer, and it hold up better then any wax I have used thru the years.I use it on my bikes and cars.,,

I've heard good things about the NXT line but haven't used them. I've used the Duragloss 601/105 combo (check their website) and have been extremely happy with the results. Looks good, continues to look good, and water continues to bead up for a long time. I've recommended their products ever since I started using them. They're a sealant and not a true wax, but they're very easy to work with and give great results, so I wanted to toss in a suggestion

Give Collinite 476s a try. This wax has worked well holding up to the weather (snow, sleet, rain, sun and road salt) we have here in Northern Ohio. I put on two coats in the late fall and water beading and shine lasts until the early spring. Meguires and Mothers are good waxes and I have used both of them, but they don't retain their protective properties like Collinite. A word of caution, if you use Collinite, put it on thin. It can be a real chore to wipe it off if it is applied in a thick coat.

Originally Posted By: xtell
Give Collinite 476s a try. This wax has worked well holding up to the weather (snow, sleet, rain, sun and road salt) we have here in Northern Ohio. I put on two coats in the late fall and water beading and shine lasts until the early spring. Meguires and Mothers are good waxes and I have used both of them, but they don't retain their protective properties like Collinite. A word of caution, if you use Collinite, put it on thin. It can be a real chore to wipe it off if it is applied in a thick coat.

+1 Collinite 476 is the best sealer ever!

A quik spray detailer is what you need to extend your wax jobs, after you wash your car give a quik spray and wipe. The Lucas Slick Mist detailer works great, leaves a beautiful shine and smooth slick finish
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Originally Posted By: Malo83
A quik spray detailer is what you need to extend your wax jobs, after you wash your car give a quik spray and wipe. The Lucas Slick Mist detailer works great, leaves a beautiful shine and smooth slick finish
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

X2 On the Lucas! I've had very good luck with this product! Another product that I would reccomend to "enhance" between regular waxes is the Turtle Wax Detailer. Its the stuff you spray on your still-wet freshly washed vehicle, and then just "dry-off" as you normaly would. I use either it or the Lucas depending which is on sale when I need to buy some product :)

Originally Posted By: hostile
Do a double coat of Collinite: one coat of 476s followed up with their 845.

That should last nearly all year.

What advantage is topping the 476s with the 845? Wouldn't 2 coats of the 476s do a nice job?

I've been using Meguiars claybar, cleaner wax, followed by a coat of Liquid Glass for nearly 15 years on my vehicles. Typically waxing around 4 times per year.

But, with all the talk of Collinite on this board, I finally bit the bullet and ordered some 476s. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

With the exception of Collinite products no wax will last more than 8 weeks and that's only if the car is garaged. If you want to stay with a carnauba the Collinite Insulator Wax is impossible to beat. If you switch to a sealant then Duragloss #105 (labeled a polish but it's not) is inexpensive and very long lasting.

A combination of the two, sealant first, would be all but bulletproof!

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
With the exception of Collinite products no wax will last more than 8 weeks and that's only if the car is garaged. If you want to stay with a carnauba the Collinite Insulator Wax is impossible to beat. If you switch to a sealant then Duragloss #105 (labeled a polish but it's not) is inexpensive and very long lasting.

A combination of the two, sealant first, would be all but bulletproof!

+1.

Although the slickness was long gone, the Duragloss #105 was still beading water on my mom's Altima after four months. However, the car was garaged nicely and never saw any washes during that four month period.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: hostile
Do a double coat of Collinite: one coat of 476s followed up with their 845.

That should last nearly all year.

What advantage is topping the 476s with the 845? Wouldn't 2 coats of the 476s do a nice job?

845 gives a deeper, "wetter" look.

I talked to a rep at Collinite (Steve was his name, iirc), and he said that the 476 acts more as more of a sealant and if you are going to use the 476/845 in conjunction, that is the best (rather than 845/476).

Apply the 476, wait 24 hours, then apply the 845.

With that double coat, bullets will most likely bounce off of the car.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back