Yay or Nay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought my Nissan SUV in 2003.

Factory fir was Deuller HTs, which lasted 40,000km (just), and were pretty attrocious in general.

replaced them with Maxxis 751s, and currently have 45,000km on them.

Like the tyre, and have plenty of tread life left...but...

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

I've had cracking in this location on retreads (on a BJ42 landcruiser) years ago, but haven't seen it on "virgin" rubber.

Thumbs up or Down

I see that a lot - it's not on the sidewall so no worries.My Hankook Dynapro's are 06 and have done 55,000km with 7mm left....and have no cracks.

It's not bad, when you have the cracking in the tread grooves themselves(the low areas in the tire) is when you really need to worry. You can ride em out a little longer.

For replacements if your looking for an A/T tire, get the A/T KO's from BFGoodrich. Tread lasts a very long time, but is pricey. If you don't do any mudding/off-roading you can get an all season H/T like the Kumho Road Ventures. They work fine in the winter as well so long as you have 4x4 for a few key situations.

I'd keep going. It looks like some of your shoulder sipes are almost gone, but they only cut those partway down. If you pull them off now some meathead is going to put them on HIS truck and you can probably handle a (improbable) tread seperation as well as or better than him. So you'd be doing your part for road safety to keep them.
wink.gif

32.gif
Do your tires get a (US) DOT stamp?

I don't like the cracking. They're 7 years old and the rubber may be drying out. For safety, I'd change them as soon as budget permits.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. I've run old junk tires on my daily driver for years... for most of my adult life, really. I've had the occasional tire fail structurally, but they always give plenty of warning... usually either noise or a lump. I've only ever had one fail suddenly, and that was because I was 17 and didn't realize that a lump in a tire meant that its days were severely numbered.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
.......replaced them with Maxxis 751s, and currently have 45,000km on them...........

Thumbs up or Down

Those are on the cusp. I suspect it has something to do with whatever that white stuff is.

Many tires have warranty concerning cracking and those definitely qualify.

My advice would be do make a warranty claim.

White stuff is our local brand of mud/road base.

Warranty ?

Even Coopers warranty only applies in capital cities, and only if the address of the purchaser is in a capital city and they only venture out into the bush rather than live there.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I don't like the cracking. They're 7 years old and the rubber may be drying out. For safety, I'd change them as soon as budget permits.

The truck's 7, the tyres were manufactured in 2006.

Pretty pointless having double the treadlife of the (rubbish) Bridgestones that cam with the car if half of it falls off mid life.

Oh. 4 year old tires I'd probably keep...Sorry for my misunderstanding.
The cracking still worries me though.

My tires on my Santa Fe are 5 years old and have a ton of miles on them and are cracked worse than that. (Not side-walls) I'm driving them for this summer and replacing with new ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back