what Magnet for oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard put a magnet on oil filter, can help trap oil stuff, I just wonder where you buy magnet from ? and what kind every one using ?

Google "rare earth magnets" bunches of them there,cheap to. All you have to do is stick them on the filter.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I have a Filter-Mag. Google their website. Works Awesome!

+1.

Don't pay full price, though. Go their website, find the magnet you need, then keep watching eBay. One can be had for a fraction of list price for some sizes.

Reminds me of an idea I saw posted elsewhere: putting magnets on the bottom of the oil pan (ones from dead hard drives were recommended). Haven't tried it, but I do have a dead hard drive kicking around.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Reminds me of an idea I saw posted elsewhere: putting magnets on the bottom of the oil pan (ones from dead hard drives were recommended). Haven't tried it, but I do have a dead hard drive kicking around.

-Spyder

I wouldn't recommend putting magnets on the oil pan because you can't really get the crud out that the magnet collects on the inside surface of the pan.

On this pan I will. :) But only because the drain plug and base pan are damaged (quick lube cross thread), and I'm due to replace it before the cold weather comes. But otherwise, yeah, you have a valid point.

-Spyder

Interesting..i bought a whole mess of neodymium magnets a year ago for a project that never happened but now I can use them! Gonna drop the atf pan soon so ill stick a few there, any particular spot on the oil filter better?

Im gonna put them everywhere!!!

SS375 Filter Mag for my camaro is $56 low price at ebay. BTW is their a such thing that too strong mag can make damage ? I just google and some I saw is increrible strong mag,

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: CamaroT56
SS375 Filter Mag for my camaro is $56 low price at ebay. BTW is their a such thing that too strong mag can make damage ? I just google and some I saw is increrible strong mag,

Search eBay for "SS375 filtermag". At the time of posting, there is one with one bid at $0.99. Won't end for that, but a decent bid should give you chance.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
Originally Posted By: CamaroT56

Search eBay for "SS375 filtermag". At the time of posting, there is one with one bid at $0.99. Won't end for that, but a decent bid should give you chance.

Thanks, I saw it now, I will keep my eyes on it. How much u think this mag worth ?

What is worth and what it will sell for on eBay may be two different things.

Log into your account, do the search again, then check "Completed Listings" on the left. This will show you what recent listings sold for. You can use the winning bids to guide your bid.

Some sizes go for cheap, some go for more. The completed listings search will help you gauge demand.

I put hard drive magnets on the dome end of the oil filter. When I cut them open, I see the outline of the magnet on the inside with gray dust-like material.

Find a friend with a dead hard drive and open it up. Most will yield 2 magnets.

hard-drive-magnet.jpg

inside-a-hard-disk-drive.jpg

+1 hard drive magnets. Makes no sense to buy magnets when you can get dead hard drives for free and the magnets are as strong as you can get.

i actually use some hard drive magnets on my oil filter. i have 2 but they got stuck together as one and i couldnt pry them apart so i just left them as they were and threw them in my oil filters general direction.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
i actually use some hard drive magnets on my oil filter. i have 2 but they got stuck together as one and i couldnt pry them apart so i just left them as they were and threw them in my oil filters general direction.

Good lord, seriously, pwned by a magnet?

so i just left them as they were and threw them in my oil filters general direction.

holy-grail.jpg

Ieh throw my mag-neets in yur jgennerale~ direcion~!

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
so i just left them as they were and threw them in my oil filters general direction.

holy-grail.jpg

Ieh throw my mag-neets in yur jgennerale~ direcion~!

lmao. your mother was a hamster!

I use magnets from permanent-magnet electric motors...they have a curve that fits the curve of most oil filters. I bought about 20 of them on eBay for less than $10 a few years back. I run them on both my full-flow and bypass, as well as my fuel filter (you should see the metal shavings from self destructing fuel pumps collected in my fuel cell).

I also have a FilterMag, but my electric motor magnets work just as good (they have more pull too, if that means anything). Both typically have an outline of something on them...

I would have never thought of using those magnets from motors... Dunno why I didn't think of it first.

cheers3.gif
Thanks for posting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back