What oil for my 1999 pontiac gran am se 2.4L

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello,

i just purchased a 1999 Pontiac Gran AM SE 2.4L engine 126k miles.
i was wondering what a good oil would be for that? and it has a little oil seep coming from the engine. i was looking at walmart and noticed Pennzoil high mileage was $13.50 not sure if thats a good oil or a good price because i usually just pick up walmart brand. and i hear that the high mileage has additives in it that supposedly seals worn gaskets.not sure how much truth to that but can someone help me pick a oil.

thanks

Any oil really, you can run Maxlife or Pennzoil HM to see if it would help with the seepage over a few OCI's. Good cars, one of GM's longest running vehicles and are known to be reliable.

Maxlife is favored more so to Pennzoil just by popularity but both would be fine in that engine.

Last edited:
I've had a leak on my somewhat recently acquired Bronco, first couple oil changes were with a synthetic high mileage formula. Saw the pennzoil high mileage on sale for $13.50 as well and couldn't pass it up at that price. I've been very happy with it so far as it has been more effective at slowing the leak.

I have a 2000 Grand Am 2.4 and have run Valvoline MaxLife 5w-30 in it since 78,500 miles, with excellent results.

I'm surprised how little oil it burns off between changes, and no leaks.

Plus, MaxLife is a synthetic blend oil... Pennzoil HM isn't.

I would use any synthetic you can afford in the 5W-30 weight assuming it doesn't consume any oil. Since you metioned you have no history on the engine itself I'd have it checked out including an OCI and take it for a long spin on the freeway to get the insides clean.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back