How old is too old for tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People in hotter sunnier climate than Livermore's routinely keep tires multiple times longer than 4 years (*). You had some defective tires.

(*) They shouldn't

My experience has been all over the place.

I put 40K on the tires of my classic car. They were replaced after 19 years service! There was tire rot and one had a small bubble. Though I live to tell about it, I don't recommend going that far.

My winter car has 10 years on Michelin M&S touring tires. They're still in service with minimal rot.

I quickly replaced four-year-old tires on my Volvo because they had horrible rot. The car was bought used and had original tires.

So I'm not surprised that opinions are all over the place as well.

In my experience, exposure to weather, road heat, and UV light really takes its toll on tires- as does sitting in one place with the weight of the vehicle on them. If a tire is stored in a shed and not mounted on a vehicle, it can remain usable for a LONG time.

I think this thread illustrates the problem of answering the original question - how long is too long? Clearly, tires subjected to lots of heat and sunlight are more prone to problems than tires kept cool and covered.

And since tires generate heat every time they are used, how does one express an answer to the question in simple, easy to understand terms?

You can't!

So simple, easy to understand statements that are ALWAYS on the safe side is the only option left! Any statement made is going to be, by definition, conservative. In other words, you will only find certain circumstances where the statement is valid and plenty of circumstances where it is invalid. It's the nature of the beast!

I think I read somewhere that Michelin allows up to 10 yrs in a bulletin dated around 06 or so as long as no weather cracking or other issues are present. Just inspect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back