How to add fluid to GM 4l30E ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys .. have done a lot of searching ..learned a lot about this tranny ... I am going to R and R the tranny out of my girl FRIENDS iSuZU tROOPER . I have the spare right now .. and for the life of me I can't see how to drain or fill it ??? From what I have seen on the web ..they mention one or two drain plugs ...but I see none ...any suggestions .. I can take and post a picture of two if need be ...

Last edited:
There are two plugs. The one in the pan is the drain. There is one slightly higher up. That is the check plug.

You take the check plug out with the transmission warmed up and idling for 3 mins. From there you treat it like a differential. Fluid comes out then you let it. Nothing comes out then you add to it until it does come out of the check plug.

Last edited:
ok ..that is what I have read...but I can see no plug(s) .. I will snap a photo or two and post it tomorrow .

you likely won't see them easily. They are dirty.

But they are there. Change the atf regularly and that trans can go a long time.

you also need a pump to fill through the second hole and you need a temperature guage, because the "lifetime fluid" (mec dex III lol) has to be between 95f-105f. don't reuse the washers because the originals will leak. i got rubber coated ones from auto parts store!

captureuz.jpg

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
you likely won't see them easily. They are dirty.

But they are there. Change the atf regularly and that trans can go a long time.

this transmission is very clean ...and is out of the vehicle ...starting to make me wonder if it is the right tranny
frown.gif

ok..went out to take a few pictures..and I found the drain plugs..why on earth I didnt see them before I have no idea.....kinda stupid though that I have the tranny out of the car that I can't make sure it have fluid in it ...until I run and possible damage it ! ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back