Identical tires, different country of origin? QC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought 4 brand new Kumho Ecsta tires. 3 of them are made in Korea and 1 of them in China. What gives? I'm guessing Kumho moved their production to China? If they did, I will no longer buy this tire model.

Anyone else bought identical tires with different country of origin? I'm afraid the Chinese one will explode prematurely.

We once had 4 identical type Michelins at work,two were made in Germany and 2 were made in the US. I couldn't believe how much more rigid and thicker the side wall was compared to the US made ones were.

Kumho has production plants in Vietnam and China. Quality in those countries ? I don't know but I rather buy tires made in USA, Europe, Japan or Korea(South) if I have a choice.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Both are quality tires.

I would be more concerned about differences in tires characteristics that their quality.

Like Stuntboy found out on another brand.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Just bought 4 brand new Kumho Ecsta tires. 3 of them are made in Korea and 1 of them in China. What gives? I'm guessing Kumho moved their production to China? If they did, I will no longer buy this tire model.

Anyone else bought identical tires with different country of origin? I'm afraid the Chinese one will explode prematurely.

Where did you get them... from some place like Discount Tire Direct? What is the difference in the date codes on all four? The odd ball tire could be MUCH older than the other 3.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Both are quality tires.

I would be more concerned about differences in tires characteristics that their quality.

Like Stuntboy found out on another brand.

+1

Both are quality tires.

Nope. I had 4 Kumho's on my Intrepid. 3 from China 1 from Vietnam. All 4 wore out well before 40,000 miles. They have a 80,000 miles warranty. Discount tire replaced them informing me that it's common.

I used to stock Barum,Continental has tyre plants all over the world - I would get identical Barum tyres made in Germany,France,Czechoslovakia and South Africa.All were of the same quality.

I have had four of the same model tires(Pirelli P600) made in 3 different countries. Two in US, Italy, and Spain. The US made ones actually both gave me issues. I was not aware of difference except my tire shop pointed out the difference.

I don't think you can presume anything about where something is made.

This is why I like Sams Club. I can pick my tires, which means I can pick the freshest based on the DOT code. That would also mean I can pick the factory, ensure they were all the same or of a similar vintage etc.

I would perfer tire that came off the same assembly line where ever that may be. Just for the consistancy of the 4 tires. Getting a little off topic here:

When I purchaced my 4 new G/Y Eagle LS from DTD on brand new wheels, I received 3 "T" ratings and an "H" rating. I didn't notice this for months. I don't notice any difference in the ride/handling but, I just don't like it. The "H" is waring more quickly than the other 3 "T"s.

When our daughter purchaced her car used(06 Mazda3 w/49500mi), they had on the vehicle 4 relativly new Dunlop Signature tires.
3 were "T" rated and again, an "H" rating. Well, this is what you get when you buy used.

In both cases(3 T's and an H), we didn't notice this until months later so, to complain would be moot.

I would have to put my situation up there with buying 4 of the same brand/model tires and finding out that they were made in different factorys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back