How much air different to affect gas miles ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just wonder how much air, have to loose to affect gas miles. I mean if factory recomment 32 front and rear, how much air I loose before it affect gas miles ? thanks.

Hard to know. Most estimates that you'll see used to sell N2 tire fills and pressure gauges are 5psig = 10% fuel economy. This is a huge generalization and it would be safer to say that it varies with vehicle, tire size, tire composition, and driving habits. The best way to find out would be to monitor your mileage for a few tanks, then change the pressure and continue to monitor. Find the best safe compromise of performance, fuel economy, and tire wear for you. Experiment!

Let's face it. Lower pressure hurts fuel economy and even a tiny bit has an effect. The question is: At what point are you going to notice?

I think the question is bogus. You already know that fuel economy is affected, so you need to do good maintenance.

Car & Driver did a test(can't remember the issue or the car used) changing the air pressure in the tires to test MPG gains/losses. Not much difference in any direction. You would have to do a search on their web site to fine it.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Let's face it. Lower pressure hurts fuel economy and even a tiny bit has an effect. The question is: At what point are you going to notice?

I think the question is bogus. You already know that fuel economy is affected, so you need to do good maintenance.

I know that, I want to know how low is too low. Cause I think my car loose 1-2 psi every 2 week, usually every month I fill my tire up, and the guy above say 2-3psi below recomment, so I have to fill up every 2 week ?

Originally Posted By: CamaroT56
I know that, I want to know how low is too low. Cause I think my car loose 1-2 psi every 2 week, usually every month I fill my tire up, and the guy above say 2-3psi below recomment, so I have to fill up every 2 week ?

You need to find the source of the leak and fix it. It could be a major problem developing and unless you find out what the cause is, you could wind up in a very bad situation.

It's normal to loose 1 PSI per month, if you lost more than 3-4 PSI a month you should find the source of leak and fix it.

I have all my cars up to 5-6 PSI above recommended, that way I get better gas mileage, longer tread life, better handling and don't have to fill up the tires every month.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
It's normal to loose 1 PSI per month, if you lost more than 3-4 PSI a month you should find the source of leak and fix it.

I have all my cars up to 5-6 PSI above recommended, that way I get better gas mileage, longer tread life, better handling and don't have to fill up the tires every month.

It isn't so much as losing air, most of the fluctuation is linked to the changes in air temperature over the changing of the seasons.

A perfected inflated tire at an air temperature of 30 degrees will be overinflated at 90 degrees... and vice versa.

The fluctuation in ambient temperature is not that much in one season, usually about 20 to 30F. If you have cold tire pressure 3-6 PSI above placard at high temp of the day, then you will have no lower than placard pressure at low temp of the day.

Most tires lost air over time, that why it is recommended to check pressure once a month.

BTW I alway follow what on the door, say about tire psi, how much can I go over recomment psi, I want to be on safe side and not blow the tire up.

This lady call me over one day to change her oil, before she take a long trip. I came over and change the oil, and check her tire, most of her tire is over 20psi from factory recomment !!!!!
33.gif
, I right away take some air off back to factory recomment. She lucky she had me, or else it gonna blow when she on her trip. I ask her, you put too much air inside the tire, she say, she just stick it in their and pump air lol.

Im saving up moneys for set of ZR1 Wheel and tire packet ( $900 ), I try to keep these tire long as I can, mabe go get that tire check out.

Im saving up moneys for set of ZR1 Wheel and tire packet ( $900 ), I try to keep these tire long as I can, mabe go get that tire check out.

Do you still have the original, factory Goodyear Gatorbacks (or GSCs) on the car now?!

If so, they are probably a little too old (see other thread about tire age in this forum), even if they have a decent amount of tread depth left.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

Do you still have the original, factory Goodyear Gatorbacks (or GSCs) on the car now?!

If so, they are probably a little too old (see other thread about tire age in this forum), even if they have a decent amount of tread depth left.

it kinda new tire, the preview owner put in 4 brand new BFGoodrich g-Force all weather, he say he spend 400+ on all 4 or something, the one that loose air most , I drop my friends of his contruction place 3 week ago, and I think I got a small nail in the tire. I get it check this saturday.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The fluctuation in ambient temperature is not that much in one season, usually about 20 to 30F. If you have cold tire pressure 3-6 PSI above placard at high temp of the day, then you will have no lower than placard pressure at low temp of the day.

Most tires lost air over time, that why it is recommended to check pressure once a month.

OK... would you prefer a temperature change of 35 degrees to 75 degrees inside of a week?

Yes, it can do that here.

it kinda new tire, the preview owner put in 4 brand new BFGoodrich g-Force all weather, he say he spend 400+ on all 4 or something, the one that loose air most , I drop my friends of his contruction place 3 week ago, and I think I got a small nail in the tire. I get it check this saturday.

OK, then YES, get it checked and get it fixed properly with a high quality patch-plug.

If they are the BFG Super Sport All Seasons (like I have on mine), they are a very good and impressive tire, and one of the best that can still be found in our standard OEM 245/50 16 size.
But even at their least expensive sale prices (before any rebates), they were ` $125.00 per tire.
wink.gif

OK, then YES, get it checked and get it fixed properly with a high quality patch-plug.

If they are the BFG Super Sport All Seasons (like I have on mine), they are a very good and impressive tire, and one of the best that can still be found in our standard OEM 245/50 16 size.
But even at their least expensive sale prices (before any rebates), they were ` $125.00 per tire.
wink.gif

are you foreal ? 125 ?

YES, if they are, in fact the G Force Super Sport All seasons, and NOT the KDWSes.

I just did a quick search on this tire, you right, it does cost that much, I dont understand why the preview owner put in expensive tire on stock z28 wheel. For me I would get a nice set of ZR1 wheel with tire. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back