Oil for John Deere 3120 diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just recently bought a JD 3120 tractor with 100 hours on it. I want to change the oil but am looking to see what the best oil would be to run. In our diesel trucks we generally run Rotella or Delo 15W40. My dad has over 400K using Rotella 15W40 in his Cummins and his engine still runs and starts great. I was thinking of running this oil in the tractor also. In the tractor manual, the oil specifications are for one or more of these:

API CI-4
API CH-4
ACEA E3
ACEA E4/E5

I was reading the specs on the Rotella oil and it looks like it does not have the E3/E4/E5 specification but has E7/E9. Is Rotella a good choice? What do you guys recommend? Thanks.

Rotella is very good and easy to find and we know it works.
adding some 2 stroke oil to the fuel could be more valuable for engine life than the brand of oil you choose.I mix 1oz./5gal.fuel in my farm tractor.

The engine in the 3120 is a Yanmar, IIRC, and they aren't picky. The CI-4 will be fine. If you are using ULSD (very few people aren't these days, especially if you buy it from the diesel pump at the local fuel station and not special farm fuel), you can safely go with the CJ-4 (which is easier to find). Your tractor may be a few years old, before the ULSD was mandated, hence the CI-4 recommendation. I'm using this combo (ULSD/CJ-4) in several tractors that are much, much older than yours and it's been working out great (verified via UOA).

Shell or Delo??? Tossup. I'd be the indecisive guy at the two-holer outhouse if I had easy access and good prices on both. Here in Ohio, I find Shell more common and better priced.

Viscosity? FIrst it depends on how you use the tractor and the climate. Flagstaff is warm but not Phoenix hot and does get cold weather. If the 3120 just putters around a few hours at a time, personally, I would choose a 10W30 in your conditions because it will offer you good flow on winter starts, ditto on everyday starts during short hops when oil temp isn't up, but still plenty of protection. If you work it hard for hours on end, day after day, then maybe you have to step up to the 5W40 T6. IMO, the 15W40 is unsuited to winter starts or short hop operation. I would relent on that point if, A) the tractor was inside and B) was plugged in on cold days, but I think you would be better off with the 10W30 (the budget choice in any case, about the same cast as 15W40, though not as common) or the 5W40 (the more expensive one).

FWIW, I operate my utility Ford tractor (32hp) on Rotella 10W30, and it gets along just fine. I had winter starting troubles with it on 15W40 (didn't have a block heater then, now it does!)

Anyway, notes from the trenches from a motoroil-head with similar equipment.

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
Rotella is very good and easy to find and we know it works.
adding some 2 stroke oil to the fuel could be more valuable for engine life than the brand of oil you choose.I mix 1oz./5gal.fuel in my farm tractor.

I will have to look into the 2-stroke oil. I did buy Diesel Kleen that I was going to run with the next fill up. I also bought a new fuel filter for the tractor today. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
The engine in the 3120 is a Yanmar, IIRC, and they aren't picky. The CI-4 will be fine. If you are using ULSD (very few people aren't these days, especially if you buy it from the diesel pump at the local fuel station and not special farm fuel), you can safely go with the CJ-4 (which is easier to find). Your tractor may be a few years old, before the ULSD was mandated, hence the CI-4 recommendation. I'm using this combo (ULSD/CJ-4) in several tractors that are much, much older than yours and it's been working out great (verified via UOA).

Shell or Delo??? Tossup. I'd be the indecisive guy at the two-holer outhouse if I had easy access and good prices on both. Here in Ohio, I find Shell more common and better priced.

Viscosity? FIrst it depends on how you use the tractor and the climate. Flagstaff is warm but not Phoenix hot and does get cold weather. If the 3120 just putters around a few hours at a time, personally, I would choose a 10W30 in your conditions because it will offer you good flow on winter starts, ditto on everyday starts during short hops when oil temp isn't up, but still plenty of protection. If you work it hard for hours on end, day after day, then maybe you have to step up to the 5W40 T6. IMO, the 15W40 is unsuited to winter starts or short hop operation. I would relent on that point if, A) the tractor was inside and B) was plugged in on cold days, but I think you would be better off with the 10W30 (the budget choice in any case, about the same cast as 15W40, though not as common) or the 5W40 (the more expensive one).

FWIW, I operate my utility Ford tractor (32hp) on Rotella 10W30, and it gets along just fine. I had winter starting troubles with it on 15W40 (didn't have a block heater then, now it does!)

Anyway, notes from the trenches from a motoroil-head with similar equipment.

Thanks for all the info.

I think I may run 15W40 during the summer and see how the tractor starts in the winter and then switch to 10W30 or 5W40 depending on how the engine handles the cold. I need to check and see if the engine has a block heater or not. It can get fairly cold up here during the winter nights, sometimes sub-zero. I want to use the tractor next winter for plowing snow among other things.

I agree with what Jim said and any name brand 15w40 will work fine CI or CJ and that engine will out live you!.

i use Stanadyne and Schaeffer's diesel treat 2000 much better products then most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back