Schaeffer's S-9000 5 W 40 MBenz 3.0 diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
wsmwck.jpg

I am liking this oil .
Excellent wear numbers and TBN

this Schaeffer's is hard to beat at the price .

Looks pretty good.

What oil filter did you use and what vehicles is this again? I forgot...

How much does this oil go for?

Last edited:
If I am reading it right,this engine is not even close to being broke in yet. That's pretty good for a new engine. It can only get better from here too.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Looks pretty good.

What oil filter did you use and what vehicles is this again? I forgot...

How much does this oil go for?

Salesrep can give ya exact numbers, but it retails for between $6 and $7 a quart (case of 12). I suspect the gallons are a tad cheaper.

At first I wanted to say 'Al is too high'.

Then I saw total miles - pretty darn good run for 10k on a 17k motor!

Oil filter was a Hengst E71H D141

Engine was a Sprinter MBenz 3.0 diesel

( these engines require a MBenz spec oil 229.51 - difficult for me to find locally until I found a Schaeffer's point of sale near where I live )

I buy it in bulk 1 gal jugs by the cases.
@ about 20.00 a gallon .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mokanic
If I am reading it right,this engine is not even close to being broke in yet. That's pretty good for a new engine. It can only get better from here too.

Exactly my thought as well. For an engine still breaking in, this is an excellent 10k mile OCI report. Everything you're doing, keep doing it.

Originally Posted By: badnews

Engine was a Sprinter MBenz 3.0 diesel

( these engines require a MBenz spec oil 229.51 - difficult for me to find locally until I found a Schaeffer's point of sale near where I live )

Read the insert in the upper right hand corner of the linked page, all of it:
http://www.lubrizol.com/Products3column.aspx?id=34976&linkidentifier=id&itemid=34976

Your oil is excellent for your engine, but its' phosphorus and ash are way too high for 229.51. In the long run your emission system will deteriorate faster than if you ran a true 229.51 oil. You just proved that it is not a 229.51. Or even a 228.51.
Your engine will survive just fine.

Charlie

The warranty is for manufacturer defects, not for owner neglect or ignorance. On your way to 5 years or 100,000 miles you will experience decrease performance due to a higher exhaust back pressure. If you can't tell or care about a decrease in engine performance then all bets are off.

Some posts here remind me of the days Slick 50 was considered miracle juice .
Know not of what you speak but claim many things

Many posts are meaningless because it is based on a single data point. Whereas manufacturer recommendation are based on thousands and thousands and thousands of data points and so on and so on. 1 out of 3 new cars sold in Europe is a diesel. In France, almost 2/3 of the new car sold are diesels. Europe knows diesel oil

Originally Posted By: BobFout
There has to be *some* reason why the Euro oils have a much lower ash content.
It's to protect the DPF aftertreatment in the exhaust-unfortunately, the TBN takes a BIG hit in the process. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a "CF" rated 229.51 oil can outlast a CJ-4 rated US HDEO.

And-this is also why I'm a little leery of smaller specialty oil producers (even though they are sponsors of this forum)-occasionally there are claims of certain oils meeting certain specs-that are just plain WRONG! (flame suit on)
27.gif

Good points in both posts, Bullwinkle.
Which is why I'm going to try
http://www.mobil.com/Italy-English/Lubes/PDS/glxxencvlmomobil_delvac_1_le_5w-30.pdf
in our BMW X5 35d. In the prescribed (by vehicle computer) OCI of 11600mi. the TBN in the prescribed Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W30 went down to 1.5 and the TAN shot up to 4.83. Of course a starting TBN of 6.4-6.8 isn't much. The Delvac has a TBN of 12.6, more than a CJ4, only slightly too much ash (1.0%) and the proper P content ( I don't think a 229.51/C3 can outlast a CJ4/E9 or 228.51/E6 oil - the contrary is true.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: BobFout
There has to be *some* reason why the Euro oils have a much lower ash content.

A number of reasons they call for it
1 - they were taken to court in the USA because they never said use synthetic oils---- low SA oil is syn oil by its nature and construct

2- 229.52 calls for HTHS for extended oil change reasons as high as 20,000 miles

3- if you run an oil with 1.5 or higher SA it will be a problem with the rings and DPF lower saps 1.0 or lower are not a problem... people here can scream and yell but they always fail to shown how it would harm a engine or DPF

Schaeffer's states their oil does not contain more than 1.0 -- less is more of a fact .

4- They are trying to comply with ACEA C3 which states .08 is the max SA allowed -- not so much because it will help the engine but because it is a GREEN thing in Europe . Engines will be fine with mid saps oils 1.0 max but they aren't considered green .

The new 2010 Sprinter engines do not have a DPF and they still say use 229.51 rated oil , reason being the spec is more about HTHS and extended oil change interval -- not clogged DPF or EGR .

Like I said in a previous post for some around here

Sulfated Ash is the new boogyman word that is tossed about as an excuse for them to not learn about oils and why they are spec'e the way the are and why companies stated to used them.

Like Mobil Emission Service Protection a huge con to get you to buy the oil at dealerships only no where else could you buy it then they did this when it just came out to rake you over the coals and get your hard earned cash and for Mobil to get top dollar for their product . That is a new low for Mobil but not the last I'd wager,

Others run their mouth --- I am running Schaeffer's S9000 in a 100,000.00 vehicle , I would not do that if it was hurting my van

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back