Best oil filter for extended drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
..but I must say, the prices you're quoting are atypical for your average Canadian. That is, unless something has recently changed.

No, you are quite right. For whatever reason, I'm blessed with a good, cheap supplier of Wix filters. Even other local places can't match that. That is with my corporate discount at one of my suppliers. Still, my discount at my Wix supplier provides me with Wix cheaper than my discount at another supplier with their Frams. Even for price comparisons, it's hard to find Wix online in the U.S. for what I pay for them.

The German filters - that's another story, and I have no good answer for that. I stumbled upon a good supplier, I guess. I never pay over $5 for German filters for my Audi, and I have never found a better price in Canada and only very rarely a cheaper price in the States. The German Bosch is under $5, where at Canadian Tire, the same German Bosch, when they have it, is around $9 or so.

I've been using supertech, STP oil filters for 10k oci for the past few years in my old 06 vibe 1.8L that I don't have anymore. engine didn't blow up and didn't burn oil.

Originally Posted By: Blumurder
Originally Posted By: grampi
Pretty tough to beat a PureOne!
That's the gold one?

Probably closer to puke yellow. They work better than they look.
48.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
That's the gold one?

48.gif

LOL yea it's *****

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
That's the gold one?

48.gif

LOL yea it's *****

Make sure there isn't yellow over spray inside the filter.

I'm not understanding why PureONE filters are being recommended in the same sentence with filters that are designed specifically for long OCIs like the Mobil M1, Bosch Distance Plus, Fram Xtended Guard, and Royal Purple. PureONEs are designed to be a high-end filter for normal OCIs. Sure, you can leave it on there as long as you want (or dare), it's your car, but it's not intended for the same service intervals as the Purolator-made Distance Plus, for example.

Purolator does not sell a Purolator-branded filter designed for long service intervals, regardless of how some people use them.

The Bosch Distance Plus is pretty similar to a Pureone, but with a bit more [censored] holding capacity. Basically, the Pureone is built well enough to stand up to the long intervals. As long as you don't generate enough garbage to clog it, it'll do just fine.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
Basically, the Pureone is built well enough to stand up to the long intervals. As long as you don't generate enough garbage to clog it, it'll do just fine.

Okay, and how would you tell? You can't control how much junk the filter will trap, can you?

No, you can't. However, if you've run, say a 5k OCI and cut the filter open, seeing what it has accumulated in 5k can give you an idea of whether or not it will plug up over a longer interval.

I'd use a PureOne filter for 10k miles. I don't see the problem, but I suppose it depends on application. Knowing your vehicle history might play into that decision.

Say 10k-15k
As far as the filter is concerned 10-15 isn't that far. My PureONEs held up just fine over the same distance, search my UOAs if you are interested in the details, but that shouldn't be a stretch for any well built filter.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
PureONEs are designed to be a high-end filter for normal OCIs.

This. IMO there's no significantly better filter for a 5000 mile OCI. If I wanted to go 10,000 miles, I would use a different filter or change out the PureOne for another PureOne at 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: CougarRed
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
PureONEs are designed to be a high-end filter for normal OCIs.

This. IMO there's no significantly better filter for a 5000 mile OCI. If I wanted to go 10,000 miles, I would use a different filter or change out the PureOne for another PureOne at 5000 miles.

Depends on the engine's debris generating rate. For engines in good health (clean & tight), I think a PureOne can go up to 10K miles without issue.

As someone else mentioned, cutting open a used filter after 5K miles should give you a reading on just how "dirty" or "clean" running your engine is.

Originally Posted By: D Bone
Fram XG or Royal Purple

Or Bosch Distance Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back