Oil recommendations: 2004 GMC Sierra 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
As stated in the subject, I have a 04 Sierra with the 5.3. It has 45,000 miles and runs great. What oil would you recommend if I follow the OLM (goes off at about 6500 mi for me)? The truck is driven for more than 5 mi. at a time about 90% of the time, so the oil usually gets pretty hot.

You have not indicated that you may want to move from a dino to a blend - (or) a blend to a synthetic.

I do not trust OLMs. We all are aware of how many times electronic gadgets go awry. So I would naturally recommend a name-brand synthetic - since you won't be changing it until the OLM indicates a change is necessary.

I would think that the Wal Mart $21.94 deal on 5 qt jugs of Mobil 1 5W-30 and 10W-30 would be fine!

Or the Pennzoil Platinum deal at Autozone.

5W-30 should be great with the OLM .

10W-30 for high temps or towing.

Just curious what your experience has been with this rebate... I submitted mine on 4/15 and still have not received it, although I inquired a month ago and they said it had been approved. I must say I absolutely hate dealing with rebates... It's just easier to go to WalMart and pay whatever it costs.

My MIL has a 2002 Tahoe with the 5.3L. She uses quickie-lube supplied M1 5w30 & Havoline oil filters, & her Tahoe seems to like it just fine. She gets it changed whenever the OLM says it's time.

Pretty much any API SL or better 5w30 will work fine in that engine. Pick your favorite & go with it.
smile.gif

Sorry, I forgot to mention what the engine has seen:
The first 20000 mi. - NAPA dino 5w-30 changed per the OLM. Amsoil 10w-30 (ATM) was used for 10,000 mi OCIs two times after. I switched to M1 5w-30 at 40,995 mi. b/c it's much cheaper and easier to get than Amsoil. All oil filters were NAPA Gold. I figure just use M1 or PP and change it per the GM OLM. Thank you all for the replies!
patriot.gif

A synthetic blend or the napa brand synthetic should give you great protection for your olm interval and keeping cost down. 5-30 or 10-30.

I have a 2004 Tahoe with the same engine. I have had UOAs with Havoline, Castrol GTX and Syntec. The wear numbers are about the same with each. My personal favorite oil at the moment is Castrol GTX Start-Up 5W-30. It is expensive vs. dino, but less expensive than M1.

I did not like the way that M1 performed in my engine after about 3K miles. I could hear the valves rattling under certain conditions and it would consume about 1/2 quart in 3K miles. I just tried the new M1 T&SUV 5W30 with similar results.

I don't have any data to show the Start-Up is better than anything else, but I do like it. I will run it for 5-6K without any worries at all. The Castrol marketing program makes a point to talk about the esters clinging to the metal....which indicates to me that it has some of the components typically founded in a synthetic blend. Castrol Syntec gets blasted here frequently, but I have never seen a bad UOA on any Castrol product (GTX, Blend, HM or Syntec). Give it a try...what the heck!! Just my $0.02.

I've got a 2000 Silverado with the 4.8l (same engine just shorter stroke) in a 4x4 ext cab and have run Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Mobil 7500, QS and Chevron.

The last UOA I received with the 49 cent a quart Chevron 5w-30 and $2 Supertech filter was the best UOA I've had with this engine in 4k mile OCI. (better than Mobil 1 at the same OCI)
tongue.gif

Here is the link for that UOA; Last UOA with Chevron 5w-30 dino

I'd (and am) going with changing the oil every 4k or 5 months (I don't drive it alot compaired to my other car) OCI and for a total oil change cost of $5 incl the filter I am well protected for the life of the interval.
cheers.gif

My OLM goes off around 6k also BTW. I just feel for the cost of a single quart of Mobil 1, I'll just change it like I said above and be safe.
grin.gif

Some may say that my engine is working harder than the same truck with a 5.3l due to it being smaller. If that is true, then my oil is doing even better...
smile.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Compman1988

Frankly, all modern oils are very good. The top brands might be better than the cheap brands. I'd choose Chevron/Havoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, ConocoPhillips76Kendall, and just about any other top name.

There are differences in oil, though. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_Clean_5000.aspx says that retail Mobil Clean 5000 is a better product than the Mobil clean sold in bulk to quickie lubes and dealerships. The house brand oils is auto parts stores and discount stores may be lower quality than the top brands.

If you plan on keeping your truck for just about ever, a synthetic may very likely give you longer engine life.

Ken

The 5300 is about the best engine being built.

I ran mine to 100k on Havoline and Valvoline.

Before it blowed up.

lol.gif

Seriously, I did run them. The sucker was getting better MPG at 100k than at 50k. If I was going to keep it for 200k miles or so, I'd run Mobil 1 5W30 on 10k mile OCIs.

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra with the 6000 Vortec V8. I swithed to Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40 at 80,000 miles. The truck now has 240,000 miles. With the 10W-40, my fuel milege has increased by 5mpg. Engine runs very smooth with no vibrations. At idle speed, it feels like it is turned off.

-

Hello Clyde65,

I just bought a 2006 GMC Sierra with the 5.3L Vortec V8. Could you please tell me what oil (or oils) you used in your 2004 Sierra BEFORE you switched to Maxlife at 80K miles???

Thanks in advance.

Comper...

I have a 2003, 5.3l, 4x4 and use it.

I've tried several oils and kept tuned to how the engine was performing.

The best I've found is either the PP or Amsoil. The 5.3 runs the best with both of them.

Good luck!

quote:

Originally posted by Clyde65:
I have a 2004 GMC Sierra with the 6000 Vortec V8. I swithed to Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40 at 80,000 miles. The truck now has 240,000 miles. With the 10W-40, my fuel milege has increased by 5mpg. Engine runs very smooth with no vibrations. At idle speed, it feels like it is turned off.

You have a 2004 model with 240,000 miles????

I have a 2004 model year truck also. It's a Nissan Titan, and it currently has 22,700 miles on it. lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back