Best 5w30 Synthetic Motor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You question could be changed to, is there a bad 5w-30 synthetic oil? I don't think so. I save my left over RL 5w-30, carefully stacking the used bottles to get every drop, and what ever is left of the last bottle and save if for my lawn mower. I'm thinking of asking for donations so I can get a Dyson Analysis on the RL in the lawnmower. What do you think?
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Coop0129:
I thought about trying to Mobil 1, but I have heard that it is a little noisy, plus, for 5k OCI's, it is a little more expensive than PP or Syntec.

toyota valvetrains like a thicker film

quote:

Originally posted by carock:
Redline 5-30W if cost is no object.

Redline, I believe, is the only 5w-30 that is Acea A3 rated. If you are into good HT/HS numbers then that would be another reason to go Redline. Imho,They make a great product.
grin.gif

Most Motul oils are A3 rated, too. If you think Red Line is expensive, you should try this stuff. Good but expensive, for sure.

quote:

Originally posted by the_oil_dealer:

quote:

I thought about trying to Mobil 1, but I have heard that it is a little noisy, plus, for 5k OCI's, it is a little more expensive than PP or Syntec.

What oil provides this?

quote:

Originally posted by insomniac:
Coop,

5K miles is a "regular" or "normal" OCI?? What happened to the standard 3K?

3k oil changes are for people who like to burn money. 5k oil changes are recommended by Toyota for there products for "severe" conditions. So, yes 5k is "regular" or "normal". 3k is a little too cautious. Just throwing away good oil. 7k-10k would be extended for me. Some people go 15k or even 25k on here with the right oil...ie Mobil 1 EP, or Amsoil Series 2000, 3000.

Burbanite
Member # 10356

posted 03 July, 2006 06:29
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by carock:
Redline 5-30W if cost is no object.

Redline, I believe, is the only 5w-30 that is Acea A3 rated. If you are into good HT/HS numbers then that would be another reason to go Redline. Imho,They make a great product.
Posts: 73 | From: North Vancouver BC | Registered: Nov 2005 | IP: Logged |

Is supertech A3 rated?

I put Amsoil 5W-30 in my RX-7. The rotary hasn't complained and the all-important engine temps are down a few degrees. As I'm not far from Superior, WI I can't argue about the quick shipping either
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by the_oil_dealer:

quote:

Toyota valvetrains like M1... How would you quantify its oil film???

JMH

quote:

Okay, I am currently a GC user. But, it seems to be a little thick for my Toyota. So, what have been some good oils, or lets say top "3" 5w30 Synthetic oils? Why are they better? Not just, "My dad used them, so I use them...or because I have always used them, so you should too". I am looking for experiences, maybe UOA history...etc...

Thanks all.
Currently leaning toward Pennzoil Platinum, and I will never use Supertech or any off name brand oils.

You're welcome, but you need to define "best". As you've stated the question, virtually any synthetic oil on the market can be said to be
"best". Think about it -- are there any bad ones out there??? This question is, in essence, an invite to another grand tail chase -- fun but it will never be conclusive. Please tell us what performance parameter(s) is(are) most important to you -- long drain performance, ultimate wear protection, heat breakdown resistance, BITOG popularity, what??? Honestly, an unconstrained debate about what oil, syn or dino, is "best" is like standing in a Baskin-Robbins arguing about what flavor is "best".*

*I've used this analogy repeatedly here on BITOG as I hear it from my kids repeatedly. Think about that...
cheers.gif

I've been using Amsoil series 2000 0W/30 in my S-10 for 166,000 miles. I change it every 14,000 miles weather it needs it or not. Still runs great. Amsoil 0W/30 is for cars that recommend 5W/30.

My favorites would be MaxLife synthetic and Synpower. I can't tell you the "why" because I am not a scientist. Just a heavily biased Valvoline fan.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back