Tire Rack Installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats people's experience with getting tires purchased from Tire Rack installed locally? Some of the Tire Rack "recommended installers" in my area seem to be either flaky shops who do not seem thrilled about the Tire Rack program, or other shops who want to charge 2X what other shops charge for mount & balance.

I've taken my TireRack purchases to my local "Juan's Used Tires" and had them installed and balanced and never had a problem - those guys are happy to get the cash business.

I had a horrible experience with TR authorized installer Tire Kingdom. Set up an appt., on the phone they were nice and said no problem, we'll take care of it. Once I got there, they were flaky and acted like they couldn't be bothered with it. Took 2 hours to get two tires mounted, no crowd, techs standing around the bay shooting the breeze. After 1.5 hours and watching non TR customers who came in on a walk-in basis after me get served first and then leave, I lost my cool.
mad.gif

Plus they torqued the nuts on so hard, the next time we
removed the wheel a stud broke.
mad.gif

Never again.

I've used several of their recommended installers in the past (in 3 different states), and have generally been happy with the service.

I've done walmart and one of their recommended and both went well. The recommended installer only stocks "the cheapest tires he can find" and does everything else through tire rack. He says he doesn't make enough on selling tires, he'd rather they handle it.

i have good experience with the local TR installer and they also have a hunter balancing machine. Call Tire rack and complain if the installer was lousy.

I've used two of Tire Rack's recommended installers and had good experiences with both of them. The one installer might be seen by some at first glance as "flaky", as they are located in an older building and have a very bare bones waiting area. However, they are very knowledgeable, do a good job, and are appreciative of any business that is thrown their way.

I used a Goodyear center Tirerack installer near me, and they seemed to be pretty bad. They were very unorganized, tried to charge me for extra services, and ended up overfilling one of my tires to my air gauges max, around 65 psi. They never called me when my tires arrived, and also never gave me my warranty card that was attached to the tires. Gotta watch these guys like a hawk.

I've used the recommended installer closest to me several times and have been completely satisfied.
The last time, I came back a month later and told them that I thought one of the tires was slightly out of balance. They pulled the car in, pulled all four wheels and rebalanced all of them. Problem fixed and no charge.
What else can you ask for?

I used goodyear too for tires I bought without installation from costco few years back.
perfect installation and good value too.

The only good thing about using Goodyear is that they charged me correctly. Came out to $63 total for mounting and balancing 4 tires, including new stems.

Our circle of family/friends have been using W*M as their installer. Today W*M price is $52 and change including tax for 4 tires installed with new valve stems, 1x balance and tire disposal. Most of the local shops and the recomeded TR installers in my area cost about $100+ tax(or more) for 4 tires.
I used to take my tires to the station down the road a bit, for installation but since thay changed hands, I now go to W*M(18 miles away from my home). The guy down the street now wants $32/tire, 1x balance new valve stems and I have to take my old tires with me and dispose of them. KMA!

IF I had to buy from TR (with no DT), the local Wally would likely be my installer of choice. The local Tire Kingdom is listed as a TR installer but I'm doubtful it would be any better (see PRND3L post above), and would cost more.

But, I'm thankful I have a Discount Tire so I don't have to make that decision. Buy and install with extreme confidence at one place. Having to use independent installers is a disadvantage TR has (compared to DT) and likely little control over.

Can't beat TR for research/info though.

I have purchaced many tires from DTD but there is no DT in my area and I have heard many good things about DT. Bought more tires/wheels from DTD than from TR

Yep, also read many good things about DTD here too. Off topic, ironically used the DTD price with no tax and estimated Wally install as reference for latest Yoko Geol purchase at DT.

I've used TR and one of their recommended installers in Louisville, KY for decades. My only bad experience was when I had to have a tire replaced while I was on vacation in Hilton Head. The TR recommended installer was a Tire Kingdom store and for some moronic reason the idiots removed the oil filler cap. On the way back to the condo I smelled oil burning and the car threw a CEL. Needless to say they denied all responsibility and blamed the last person who changed the oil. No harm done but still inexcusable...

I try to avoid any installation place where the workers are far removed from the success or failure of the establishment and have no vested interest in doing a good job. Not saying they can't do a good job, it is just more likely they won't.

A local tire retailer is a TR installer and the owner works in the bays with the other 3 guys. Top notch car mechanic and will spend time explaining anything you pay for in detail.

Last edited:
Just had my new (Discount Tires Direct) Hydroedges installed by Wally World. They were very happy to do it, helpful, even carried the tires inside and commented on their appearance.

Mounted using new computer driven balancing equipment and the results are great..... and the price was very reasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back