Best oil filter for extended drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: sayjac

The main reason I prefer other than MC for extended OCI is their efficiency rating, somewhat vague.

Any idea what it is?
Read this thread, it's pretty good. I'm not as hard core as Busa about the MC efficiency rating, I think it's good filter. Just wouldn't be a top choice for me for an extended OCI similar to the one the OP posted.

I think the thread is an interesting read though.

Originally Posted By: Blumurder
Originally Posted By: defektes
Fram Xtended Guard, M1, K/n, Wix, Purolator.. anything with a silicone adbv, go by price and availability.
So MC are OK for that length?

if the MC have the silicone ADBV sure, ford recommends 7500 mile OCIs anyways.

dont forget the royol purple oil filters oh i forgot no one sels them except pep boy

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Amsoil EAO!

That's what I'd recommend for the whole year. Tough to make it pay for 15k unless 15k is for the whole year.

Well picked up 2 M1 filters for 12.99 ea at AA and used my 10.00 off 25.00 so 8.00 ea
Thanks for all the replies

That`s what I`m using as well. Pricey, but everything I`ve read about them has been positive: high efficiency, good flow rate, excellent design and build quality.

They are made by Champion (the `performance` line) but do not use the newer (and from what I`ve read, inferior) E-core design that is being used by some other distributors that also use Champion.

-Spyder

Champion makes a few assembly line filters for the OEM's. Ford is one. I believe GM was another. I don't know if they still do. They also make aftermarket OEM filters under the AC Delco brand name. They make a number of premium filters. M1, K&N, Royal Purple. They also make a house brand filter line and those targeted at the quicklube sector. All filter man's do this. The Ecore is allegedly designed to fill a future (maybe current) niche market where filter disposal will be a big factor in regard to spin-on filters. It would offer a substantial competitive advantage over even a Fram with it's metal center tube. Most other composite designs are on high end Euro filters, and they'll never be a factor at a quick lube.

They have had apparent issues with a few members here. I've not experienced this, but I haven't had any unexpected issues with any filter. I would still buy them if they were at an advantage to alternatives. I can get ProSelects for less.

Well picked up 2 M1 filters for 12.99 ea at AA and used my 10.00 off 25.00 so 8.00 ea
Thanks for all the replies

M1 filters are outstanding. I've been using them for years for 10K+ OCIs. Good choice.

I give this another pump. Why so hard to find that one filter, so you can stick with it for life. Most peoples say pure 1 is best filter and value, WIX is cheaper then pure 1 and can handle anything that pure 1 can offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wix usually isn't cheaper than a PureOne. Under the NAPA GOLD label I'd have to pay about $8 for a Wix. Car Quest might do better and Magiers (spl?) appears to sell them at a decent price. Now if you're buying them from fleet filter, the cost is dirt cheap. About $4 each.

Wix has a preferred construction to most of their filters. Open end bypass valve. Neat modular thing. PureOne uses a dome end bypass. Some don't care for it.

I'd only buy either for longer drains. For shorter drains, outside of some desire for the silicon ADBV, they're a waste.

The Napa Golds are on sale this month - 2 for $10 on some models and 2 for $12 on other models.

Looks like a very Good price if you want to try the Napa Gold.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Wix usually isn't cheaper than a PureOne. Under the NAPA GOLD label I'd have to pay about $8 for a Wix. Car Quest might do better and Magiers (spl?) appears to sell them at a decent price. Now if you're buying them from fleet filter, the cost is dirt cheap. About $4 each.

I just don't get the filter pricing here in Canada sometimes. I can get Wix for most applications for $5. Fram usually costs more. PureOne isn't an option. K&N and Mobil 1 (if available) run $12 and up.

For my Audi, it's closer to $7 or $8 for a Wix, but I can get the German Bosch, Mahle, and Mann for under $5. Go figure.

I suppose I should keep quiet and not look a gift horse in the mouth if the best priced filter I can find is a Wix.

Canada, outside of some backroom import policy deal cooked up between our shepherds for some adaptive "most favored nation" thing, appears to revolve around jobs programs in regard to stuff that can freely migrate across our border. Fram gets a home court advantage since you have facilities in country. It's the same with Imperial Esso vs. XOM proper. Never the twain shall meet ..so to speak ...sorta.

..but I must say, the prices you're quoting are atypical for your average Canadian. That is, unless something has recently changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back