Tire opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a diehard Goodyear fan. Other mfgs have been OEM only. I always go back to Goodyear as I have had great service and good results. Here is what I am looking at:

Goodyear Eagle GT (215-50-17 (stock) or +1 225-45-17 (cheaper))

Dunlop SP Sport Signature (225-45-17)
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec (225-45-17, cheap but 200 treadwear rating)

I've read the TR reviews but am looking for reliable, real world, experience.

I currently have Eagle F1 All Season which are just "ok" and too expensive to replace. Prior experience was with the FL GSD3's which were outstanding but way out of my budget now. Focus now is primarily WET performance in an all season.

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Have to add the "Fierce" brand (Goodyear owned, produced, whatever). There is a ZR and VR version.

Made by Kelly,owned by goodyear...

If you're looking at the Star Spec (which is a great but really noisy tire) you should get the Hankook V12 Evo. I had a set on an 18x8 wheel and they were hauntingly quiet and were just everything you could ask for from an inexpensive summer tire for a car with peppy but average horsepower levels.

Read this Car and driver summer tire comparison and you can see why I liked it.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comp...v12_evo_page_10

Star Spec is very good but is slowly falling behind the pack. It's targeted more at autocrossers/racers. The Ecsta XS, RS3, and Advan AD08s are better.

I recently bought the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric and am very impressed with its road manners and wet performance. It is a very sticky summer tire too. Tire Rack's tests showed it near the top of the pack.

The star spec gets great reviews at my BMW forum for track and performance.

If you can get michelin PS2, that's what Id go with.

Eagle GT was to me my next purchase, but they are not made in the size I needed. My Eagle Response Edge were the best tires I ever owned.

The plus zero of stock 215/50-17(OD 25.5") should be 245/45-17 (OD 25.7"), 225/45-17 is about 0.5" smaller in OD than stock.

I have Hankook Ventus V12 Evo on Honda S2000, it performs very well and quiet too for not so much money, the potential negative is tread life, it is only 280. S2000 is known to chew rear tire like apple pie, the rear may not lasted more than 10-12k miles. If you get Hankook, don't expect it to last more than 20-25k miles on your car.

I am also a GoodYear guy. I just replaced all 4 tires on my CTS and could not wait to get rid of the Michelin Pilots. I just do not buy into the Michelin hype. I've had 3 different vehicles which came OE with Michelins and I was not satified with any.

Anyhow - I wanted the Eagle GT's but they were not available in my 235/50ZR18 size. I ended up with Perilli PZero Nero's and I am actually very happy with them...this coming from a Goodyear fan, too!

235-45-17 is the true +0 (25.3) but not approved for a 7" rim (17x7 on the Matrix). It will "fit" but I'm not interested. 245 spec's a 7.5 at the low end so no go there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back