Subaru now recommends Synthetic, some 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
7/30 Synthetic oil - Subaru is now recommending using Subaru Synthetic 5W-30 oil for 2010 and prior turbo engines, and requiring it for all 2011 turbo engines. The oil change interval does not appear to have changed. This oil is also recommended for all non-turbo vehicles, except the new 2011 Forester 2.5L (non turbo) due later this year which will use a 0W-20 Subaru synthetic oil.

Link

I wonder who will make this oil?

They only have to give it to you free if they require their brand. As long as they let you use another brand that meets the requirements, they're covered.

Smart move going to synthetic. I guess SoA is tired of paying blown turbo claims on cars that ran dealer bulk conventional oil.

I presume that Joe Spitz got his info from a bulletin, or an '11 owner's manual, because he doesn't list the source.

-Dennis

Wow... I wonder if the other MFG's will follow suit. I could see for the Turbo's or performance vehicles but all? That is interesting.
thumbsup2.gif

I am questioning though the 0W-20 for the NA 2011 Forester. I did not believe Subbies would like a thin oil. Even other NA Subbies spec XW-30. Lots of people like thicker oils like GC in Subarus.

Lol I guess better late than never
wink.gif
. I been runing PP 5w-30 on my 2010 Subaru
wink.gif
. Where did you get that info from? As far as I am aware any one e-mailing SOA got the same answer saying that they do not recomend Synthetic in their engine?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bodeh6
I am questioning though the 0W-20 for the NA 2011 Forester. I did not believe Subbies would like a thin oil. Even other NA Subbies spec XW-30. Lots of people like thicker oils like GC in Subarus.

Is this due to the piston slaps that some owners experience in their cars? Just asking.

Originally Posted By: snajper69

Is this due to the piston slaps that some owners experience in their cars? Just asking.
..a short answer..piston slap has nothing to do with the type of oil used, but more to do with the design of the piston and is not necessarily a bad thing..many car manuf. have motors with this added feature (according to them)..someone I know with a '70 camero also as some "slap" in only one piston..piston diameter size is about .0005 under size from what it should be in relation to the bore and compared to the other pistons installed...

7/30 Synthetic oil - Subaru is now recommending using Subaru Synthetic 5W-30 oil for 2010 and prior turbo engines, and requiring it for all 2011 turbo engines. The oil change interval does not appear to have changed. This oil is also recommended for all non-turbo vehicles, except the new 2011 Forester 2.5L (non turbo) due later this year which will use a 0W-20 Subaru synthetic oil.

Link

I wonder who will make this oil?
..as time moves on, the lighter oils and synthetic oils are becoming more acceptable in areas of the world were thicker oils were the norm..But really the above is "very" old news because subaru has for many years already recommended the syn.5/30 and syn 0/20 ..I have posted this before.. the following in japanesse, but you will get the picture..4 oils.. the top 2 for diesels and the bottom 2 for gas.. http://www.subaru.jp/accessory/maintenance/engine_oil/index.html and also by scolling down to "fuji" at this web site and then click around.. http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByViscosity.asp?Viscosity=0W-20 ..been useing 20 weight oils in all climates for the last 3 yrs in my '01 OB..same goes for all my vehicles from the mid '80's..nothing abnormal has ever come back from "blackstone"

I remember reading recently that Subaru had dropped the diesel for the North American market and were working on a hybrid. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

Peter, that's pretty interesting. I'm on my 3rd Subaru, and have never fully understood the heavier weight recommendation for these cars. I switched my '98 Legacy GT to Rotella T at about ~150K miles based on an article I'd read at the time touting the great protection of HDEO oils, particularly in higher mileage vehicles. I can't say I noticed much difference in the way it ran, and looking back, it probably wasn't the best idea for SLC winters. I've considered going to 0w30 in my '05, but never 0w20. I may have to reconsider. :D

Lol I guess better late than never
wink.gif
. I been runing PP 5w-30 on my 2010 Subaru
wink.gif
. Where did you get that info from? As far as I am aware any one e-mailing SOA got the same answer saying that they do not recomend Synthetic in their engine?
..once a yr I take my subi into the dealer for a quick walk around tour to see if any work needs to be done..also at that time I get the oil changed and they give the customer the choice of syn or dino...I only use dino in all my cars and in my other subi car being an '86 with 240Kmiles, the compression is still very close to new and does not burn any noticeable oil..the turbos and cold weather starting, like 30-50deg below would benefit from syn..personally I think the subaru turbos have a design problem of some sort...

Originally Posted By: bagtagley
I remember reading recently that Subaru had dropped the diesel for the North American market and were working on a hybrid. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

Peter, that's pretty interesting. I'm on my 3rd Subaru, and have never fully understood the heavier weight recommendation for these cars. I switched my '98 Legacy GT to Rotella T at about ~150K miles based on an article I'd read at the time touting the great protection of HDEO oils, particularly in higher mileage vehicles. I can't say I noticed much difference in the way it ran, and looking back, it probably wasn't the best idea for SLC winters. I've considered going to 0w30 in my '05, but never 0w20. I may have to reconsider. :D
..since you live in the US..the best for cost..5/20 motorcraft 5qt at Wmart $12..good for 5-7500miles (depending if it is city or highway) ..tested according to "Blackstone"

Originally Posted By: bagtagley

..looking at those basic numbers on the bottle for example, 0w30 doesn't really tell the whole story and is somewhat confusing because some oils labeled 0w30 are actually thicker then some 5w30's out there, even at start-up...

Wow, noticed that Subaru is now switching over to chains rather than timing belts.What were they waiting for?????That link was cool. Thanks.

As far as I am aware any one e-mailing SOA got the same answer saying that they do not recomend Synthetic in their engine?

SoA has never had a problem with folks running synthetic as long as you use the recommended grade and stick to their oci.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back