Pennzoil Ultra 5W-40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: f355spider
I noticed when comparing the data sheets on the new Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 to the previous Pennzoil Platinum (european formula) 5w-40, the numbers appear exactly the same...right down to the HTHS number of 3.68. Anyone else notice this?

Ultra: http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/PENNZOILULTRAEuropean5W40.pdf

Platinum: http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003193161_200906031757.pdf

Look the same to you?

Did they simply "rebrand" it with the Ferrari and Maserati endorsement?

Even if they did, it was not easy to obtain. Hopefully this will get the word out.

I really hope to see this is made widely avaliable.

Circa 2005 Napa used to carry the Platinum Euro 5w-40 which I stocked up on for my Audi 1.8t and Nissan Titan. Never did a UOA on it, but varnish build up/burn off was never an issue with this oil as with several others in the 1.8T motor (M1, Castrol, Valvoline, Pentosin). After it disappeared I used Pentosin before switching to the Rotella-T. Oddly enough, cold weather starts seemed easier with the heaiver Rotella-T.

Either way...glad to see Pennzoil finally looking to make this oil more available in the US.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Emailed a few weeks ago, never got a response.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Yes sir, I would try her again.

Just sent a followup email myself.

EDIT: And got an automated reply, she's on vacation until August 12.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Emailed a few weeks ago, never got a response.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Yes sir, I would try her again.

Just sent a followup email myself.

EDIT: And got an automated reply, she's on vacation until August 12.

Probably a permanent vacation after she gave away all that free oil!
banana2.gif

Here is the oil they carry and the cost. This would all be plus shipping. Due to rules, I will not list the website

Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic Motor Oil - Case 6/1 Qt

$33.38

Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5W40 European Formulation - Case 6/1 Qt

$43.20

Pennzoil Platimum for Hybrids 0W20 - Case 6/1 Qt

$33.38

Pennzoil ULTRA Synthetic Motor Oil - Case 6/1 Qt

Regular price: $41.39
Sale price: $37.95

Pennzoil Platinum VX Synthetic Motor Oil - Case 6/1 Qt

$44.48

Pennzoil ULTRA EURO L Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30

$35.40

Pennzoil ULTRA EURO 5W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

$43.95

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Pennzoil ULTRA EURO L Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30

$35.40
thumbsup2.gif

Now I'm confused!
Use my current case of the Ultra 5W-40 at my next oil change in a month or two. Or buy some Ultra Euro 5W-30 for winter and save the 40 for next summer?
20.gif

Decisions, decisions!
19.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The Euro 5w-30 is low SAPS.

Yeah, it meets the VW 504/507 specs. The 5W-40 meets only 502, 503.01 and 505. I would have thought the 40 misses the 504/507 spec due to MPG, but with HTHS reported identical, I'm not so sure of the reason.

I think the oil of choice for my S4 V8 may be the Platinum VX diesel 5W-30. It's 504/507 but with presumably higher SAPS than the gas oil.

Originally Posted By: OldBaldy

Yeah, it meets the VW 504/507 specs. The 5W-40 meets only 502, 503.01 and 505. I would have thought the 40 misses the 504/507 spec due to MPG, but with HTHS reported identical, I'm not so sure of the reason.

I think the oil of choice for my S4 V8 may be the Platinum VX diesel 5W-30. It's 504/507 but with presumably higher SAPS than the gas oil.

VW 502 and 504 are both specs currently in use. These are different oils for different applications. True BMW LL04 and VW 504 can be use in Europe where BMW LL01 and VW 502 were formerly used.......but in the USA LL04 and VW 504 are not recommended for gasoline engines due to our fuel quality ( high sulphur and ethanol). Presumably the TBN for these oils is too low for our gasoline and not suitable for the extended drain intervals that these oils are marketed for.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

Now I'm confused!
Use my current case of the Ultra 5W-40 at my next oil change in a month or two. Or buy some Ultra Euro 5W-30 for winter and save the 40 for next summer?
20.gif

Decisions, decisions!
19.gif

-Dennis

I thought about the same thing, I have around 20 qts of oil now-different brands and viscosities- but I am opting for PU 5W-40. NJ climate should not be much different from WI's.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm

Now I'm confused!
20.gif

Decisions, decisions!
19.gif

-Dennis

I thought about the same thing, I have around 20 qts of oil now-different brands and viscosities- but I am opting for PU 5W-40. NJ climate should not be much different from WI's.

My only concern about a 5W-40 in winter is my daily trips are only 7 miles each way and the 40 would take longer to heat up. Probably won't be a huge difference in warm-up since the 5W-40 is on the low end of a 40 grade and the 5W-30 is at the high end of a 30. I do more driving on the weekends though.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm

Now I'm confused!
20.gif

Decisions, decisions!
19.gif

-Dennis

My only concern about a 5W-40 in winter is my daily trips are only 7 miles each way and the 40 would take longer to heat up. Probably won't be a huge difference in warm-up since the 5W-40 is on the low end of a 40 grade and the 5W-30 is at the high end of a 30. I do more driving on the weekends though.

-Dennis

7 miles at what speeds?

Originally Posted By: felixthecat
Originally Posted By: OldBaldy

VW 502 and 504 are both specs currently in use. These are different oils for different applications. True BMW LL04 and VW 504 can be use in Europe where BMW LL01 and VW 502 were formerly used.......but in the USA LL04 and VW 504 are not recommended for gasoline engines due to our fuel quality ( high sulphur and ethanol). Presumably the TBN for these oils is too low for our gasoline and not suitable for the extended drain intervals that these oils are marketed for.

I'm sorry, but this needs clarification. Audi/VW lists a whole slew of 504/507 oils for use in the USA, and all gas engines after 2007 are required / expected to use 504/507. I have eBahn and searched for ANY Audi/VW TSBs or documentation related to this, and there is simply nothing to substantiate this. My dealer also confirms they use Castrol SLX Professional LL03 (504/507 specific oil) in all new motors since 2007.
I've seen this before, and asked for any links or official documentation to substantiate it, but there was no reply.
Do you have any such evdidence....or is this simply a BITOG recommendation and not the official suggestion/requirement from Audi-of-America?

I wonder if the lack of any recommendation to run a long-life variable OCI in the USA is not getting mixed-up here? My understanding is that 504/507 can and should be used for any vehicles speccing 502, 503, 505 etc but never in any long OCI like the EU 30000km/18000 mile type distances. In the USA, the standard 10K mile interval is the maximum recommended in my Audi S4, regardless of whether I run a 504/507 oil or not.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back