Valvoline MaxLife Syn vs. Mobil 1 High Mileage Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Hate to see you^^^ on Christmas morning.....

54.gif
Im about to enjoy the weather, but i must confess... i do not understand what you are sayign there.

Have a good one :wave:

I had to make this same choice (or maybe I chose to have to make this choice...).

In the end both are super oils, with stout HTHS numbers. The FullSyn Maxlife is ACEA A3, HTHS=3.5 I read here in some post.

The M1 HM 10w30 is supposed to be stout as well, and all PAO, from what I hear. I chose the ML because I wanted to stay with 'spec' weight in my truck (5w30) and I cannot find the M1 HM in 5w30. That was probably a good thing because since my last change I've come to believe the M1 HM 10w30 is better than the same oil at 5w30.

All in all, its a can't lose situation.

Last edited:
M1 10w30hm has the lowest pour point of the entire M1 line at -54. Its suspected to be mostly pao, has a hths of 3.66 and on top of that has about 100ppm moly, 200ppm boron and 1000ppm phos or SL levels. Talk about kick arse. Compare that to GC which similarly has an hths of 3.7 but no moly or boron! The 10w40hm is what I use in my modified supra and the engine is so smooth I cant believe it! Its hths is 4.06, perfect for the turbo. The 10w40 pours at -39. So my vote goes M1HM by a long shot. You can always get it for less than $5 a quart too.

Last edited:
M1 HM 5W30 is at my wally-mart, but I wonder at what phase of the mileage do you up the oil weight (e.g. from 30 to 40). I got 170k on the odometer and my engine specs 5w30 but consumes less with a 10w40. So, I mix the 10w30 and 10w40 M1 HM and get a great result.

Originally Posted By: nostradamus
M1 10w30hm has the lowest pour point of the entire M1 line at -54. Its suspected to be mostly pao, has a hths of 3.66 and on top of that has about 100ppm moly, 200ppm boron and 1000ppm phos or SL levels. Talk about kick arse. Compare that to GC which similarly has an hths of 3.7 but no moly or boron! The 10w40hm is what I use in my modified supra and the engine is so smooth I cant believe it! Its hths is 4.06, perfect for the turbo. The 10w40 pours at -39. So my vote goes M1HM by a long shot. You can always get it for less than $5 a quart too.

So you really like the M1HM by a long shot?

OK we will compare the 10w30's because maxlife syn doesn't come in 10w40.

Mobil 10w30hm: $4.20 quart (wallymart), -54 pour point = PAO base stock which is much more expensive to produce just like german castrol and it even smells similar, 100ppm moly, 200ppm boron(boron is the best EP agent available and is just now showing up in motor oils but its really expensive) 3.66 hths, and SL rated 1030ppm zinc 850ppm phos.

Maxlife 10w30: $7.50 quart (everywhere)havent seen it at wm, -39 pour point = GRP III dino juice, 300ppm moly, NO boron, 3.5 hths, SM rated 830ppm zinc, 760ppm phos.

If prices were equal I'd still choose mobil 1 HM anyways because of more zinc and boron additives and the PAO base. Now because maxlife costs almost twice as much is even easier to choose the mobil 1. If your going to spend $7.50 a quart it better be PAO base at least! Might as well get some redline for a couple bucks more. My vote Mobil 1 HM all day long baby.

Last edited:
I'd pick MaxLife. Only caveat is that, from reading VOAs on it, I wouldn't stretch it much past 5,000 miles. It has an excellent add pack, but its TBN seems to get pretty low beyond 5K.

I think that's a moot point though anyway since 5K on any dino or blend is just fine IMHO.

MaxLife is cheap here. $18 and change every day at WM for a 5L bottle. That's about $3 a quart? Valvoline oils are always better priced here than their Mobil counterparts (this is a regional thing with WM).

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: nostradamus

The specs sound great for M1 HM 10W30. I searched the UOA board and the UOAs are disappointing for the specs. Can you point me to some stellar M1 HM 10W30 UOAs?

Originally Posted By: CougarRed
The specs sound great for M1 HM 10W30. I searched the UOA board and the UOAs are disappointing for the specs. Can you point me to some stellar M1 HM 10W30 UOAs?

I read this and didn't realize there are dissapointing ones. So I did a quick search, the very first one on the list that came up looks great to me...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...amp;Search=true

Last edited:
Figured I would revive this old thread. It's 10 years old and maybe things have changed some.

So...for 2020 which HM oil? M1 HM 5/30 or Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic 5/30.

I looked at some numbers. The M1 seems heavier. I believe it was 11.7 vs 10.8 for the Maxlife. I may need to double check that.

This there a benefit to the M1 being heavier? And what about additive packs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back