Rattle in front end of focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Ford Focus SE sedan and when I hit a bump I get a rattle out of the front end of the car. I replaced the tie rod ends in fall of '09 and sway bar links on in June of '08. Any ideas on what the issue could be. The front end felt tight the last time I rotated the tires about 5000 miles ago. The car has 95,000 miles on it now.

A suspension rattle over bumps is usually caused by a strut mount, control arm bushing or maybe a sway bar bushing. These are lind of hard to inspect for play, but you could look at the bushing and retorque their fastners.

Radio isn't loud enough...
thumbsup2.gif

Check the shock towers... Have seen issues with these on the Focus's

+1 on the shock tower mounts or bushings. When I inquired on the price of a fix, the quote was $167 IIRC. That was 6 years ago.

I had the heat sheild replaced a couple of years ago and had it refastened again this spring so I don't think it is that. I will check it out tommorrow about the mounts and bushings. If that is the problem is the vehicle dangerous to drive?

i have seen brake pads rattle in the calipers when the anti-rattle clip was broken. Try going over the same bump that produces the rattle with the brakes lightly applied.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back