Tires Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my Santa Fe will be due for tires at the end of this summer season as they are just below the wear bar and I wouldn't feel safe riding them any longer.

I'm looking for new tires and want some suggestions. I'm a bit partial to Michelin and Bridgestone as I have had nothing but great rides and luck with these companies but will consider others.

One thing is for sure. I will not be putting back on Kumhos which the truck came with because the ride isn't the greatest, even my Michelin X-Ice tires ride smoother.

The rubber is also cracking and dried out pretty good which I'm not impressed over.

cheers3.gif

My Costco lists both Bridgestone and Michelin tires for my vehicle.

I have on there now a set of 16" Kumho's

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My Costco lists both Bridgestone and Michelin tires for my vehicle.

I have on there now a set of 16" Kumho's

Your OE size is 225/70R16 with a 102 load index, right?

Unless you're interested in the lousy Dueler H/T D687 tires or Michelin Symmetry, then you don't have any choices from Michelin and Bridgestone.

The Generals are S rated instead of T, but most shops are willing to go down one speed rating. As an alternative, the new Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring comes in the proper speed rating and load index for your vehicle.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...mp;autoModClar=

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/2010...r-lasting-.html

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
You're having issues with Kumho's? Surprised. I have/had the Solus Kr21's on both my Honda's without issues.
They are noisy and cracked rubber... They might be cheaper end tires so it might not be a fair comparison.

Yeah 225/70R16 with a 102 LI...

I didn't see what Costco had, just asked the guy if he had them then I got a call on my cell and had to go.

I only need them to be good for rain and summer as I use winter tires when the temperature drops below 0C and keep them on until it returns to 0C.

For me ride comfort is a must at no expense spared because I drive for 8-10 hours a day over some not so great roads because our government likes to wait until people have back problems and shocks needing replacement on peoples vehicles before fixing roads.
mad.gif

Last edited:
For me ride comfort is a must at no expense spared because I drive for 8-10 hours a day over some not so great roads because our government likes to wait until people have back problems and shocks needing replacement on peoples vehicles before fixing roads.
mad.gif

Then I'd go with the Assurance ComforTred Touring. No question about that. $115/tire, can't be beat at that price.

I dunno if I can get that brand up here... I was also thinking of crossing the border because tires there seem to be much cheaper than up here..

Ok so give me a "Top 10" list of your suggestions for my application and requirements.

Keep in mind only Summer, spring, fall and wet weather will be experienced by this tire.

Appreciate your help too BTW!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
mad.gif

Then I'd go with the Assurance ComforTred Touring. No question about that. $115/tire, can't be beat at that price.

I would go with this as well.

Of course michelins as well...

I think my favorite tires out there right now for the money are probably Coopers. I just put a set of Hercules (Made by Cooper) on my Saturn and they're great, as are all the other Coopers I've had in the past. Quiet, comfy, wear well, etc.

If they make a tire in your size you should price them out.

Are the Michelin Symmetry a good tire?

Not according to TireRack surveys.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I think my favorite tires out there right now for the money are probably Coopers. I just put a set of Hercules (Made by Cooper) on my Saturn and they're great, as are all the other Coopers I've had in the past. Quiet, comfy, wear well, etc.

If they make a tire in your size you should price them out.

Not sure if I got a bad set, but I got a set of CS4 Tourings for my friend's Prius based on the good reviews on this forum. Each tire took 2.5-3 ounces PER SIDE to balance, and each one was out of balance at the first rotation. Weird.

Actually, something is weird about this. Why are so many tires 101 load index rated and not 102+? I wonder if CapriRacer has posted about this.

"lousy Dueler H/T D687"

Lousy is an understatement. They are quiet and longer wearing than their UTQG would suggest. I have them on the HL and they are otherwise terrible, especially in snow.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Actually, something is weird about this. Why are so many tires 101 load index rated and not 102+?

It's simply a P-metric vs. E-metric thing.

The OEM tires were 225/70R16. The replacement tires you see with a load index of 101 are technically P225/70R16. Note the leading "P". In my opinion, the difference doesn't make a hill of beans. I'd overlook it.

The Michelin Latitude Tour is available in OP's size. (Like the OP, I often prefer Michelin tires.) They'll be among the best-riding/smoothest tires out there in this size. Also look at the Michelin LTX M/S2. That's another FANTASTIC tire. It has a UTQG rating of 720 A A. That's 720 for treadwear (almost unheard of for a "light truck" tire). It'a also rated A for both traction and temperature. It's hard to find a fault in that tire.

My van came with Michelin symmetry and they were so bad that my wife(who knows nothing about cars or tires) said to me these tires stink. She almost slid of the road in the rain with these tires and she drives like grandma. They came as oem tires on our minivan and i hated them since day one. I got rid of them after 10k miles. Aweful aweful tires.

Are the Michelin Symmetry a good tire?

It's an OE tire for the most part... on vehicles like the Grand Marquis and Honda Odysseys.

So, the answer is NO.

My top three choices have all been mentioned.

Top of the line: Michelin LTX2
If "ride" matters most: Goodyear ComforTred Touring
Best "bang for the buck": General Grabber HTS

I have personal experience with both the LTX and the ComforTred, and have not been disappointed with either one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back