2001 Mercedes-Benz S500 Oil recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm changing the oil for an acquaintance's Mercedes-Benz. It has 130,000 miles and burns about 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles. I was thinking 10w40 Mobil 1 for High Mileage engines and a MANN oil filter. What do you guys think? Since 60,000 miles, he's been taking it to a Jiffy lube type of place and I highly doubt they used the correct oil.

No owner's manual. For some reason, people who buy used cars don't get the owner's manual. One of my friend's who used to work at a Used car lot told me that the previous owners and the dealers would make money by selling owner's manuals.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
I'm changing the oil for an acquaintance's Mercedes-Benz. It has 130,000 miles and burns about 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles. I was thinking 10w40 Mobil 1 for High Mileage engines and a MANN oil filter. What do you guys think? Since 60,000 miles, he's been taking it to a Jiffy lube type of place and I highly doubt they used the correct oil.
Does this car not require synthetic?

Taking it to Jiffy Lube may have caused sludging issues in the engine and it might need a really good clean out.

I would run some Pennzoil Ultra for a couple of runs and then switch to a high quality oil of choice.

Stevie,MB only started the Synthetic stuff in the last few years. But I`m not sure what year they started using it.

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Stevie,MB only started the Synthetic stuff in the last few years. But I`m not sure what year they started using it.
That is what I thought but maybe it's been backdated to older engines like this because they realized a sludging problem over time?

Mobil 1 0w-40 is basically the only over the counter oil that's readily available and meets the correct Mercedes specs. Run that; my brother has the exact same car - 2001 S500. He runs Mobil 1 0w-40, the correct extra fuzzy long distance Mann cartridge filter, and follows the service reminder in the computer, which goes out to like 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Since 60,000 miles, he's been taking it to a Jiffy lube type of place and I highly doubt they used the correct oil.

Why would you buy a frickin Mercedes S500 and not use the correct oil and parts for it?
33.gif

Have a look at the bottom of this post, Oldwolf posted a 2007 MB Factory Approved Service Products. The document says it supercedes all previously-published viscosity charts.

Given the model year, if you want an oil with MB approval you'll need a 229.5 or 229.3-listed oil.

A VOA for the Mobil 1 10W-40 HM is here.

FWIW, I've been using the Mobil 1 10W-40 HM in a 1995 E320 that I purchased last year with a minor oil leak (I think front timing cover, based on where I would see oil on the pavement). I've got 12,700 miles on the oil, although it isn't really fair to call it a, "change interval" ... I've been incrementally removing some used oil and adding fresh oil to put fresh additives into the oil.

Somewhere in the last 3,000 miles, the oil leak stopped. Full disclosure, I also had the timing chain tensioner replaced during this time, when my mechanic realized its internal ratchet mechanism was broken. He didn't call it out as leaking oil, but since it is oil-pressure driven, I suppose it could have been involved. Anyhow, either the repair or the chemistry in the HM oil seems to have fixed my leak.

On cold morning starts last winter I was hearing either some lifter rattle or the timing chain slapping around until things reached pressure. My fall oil change will be to the Shell Rotella T6.

When my dad worked at Canadian Tire on weekends as a mechanic we used to see top of the line Lexus vehicles come in for oil changes and get the junk oil and junk filters because it was only $20. (I used to tag along so I could learn)

You wanted to see the junk under the valve-covers we used to see when replacing gaskets on these same vehicles.

I agree... Why buy a premium vehicle and then cheap out on the service.
21.gif

Last edited:
because those same people that shell out big bucks for the vehicles,are basicly very cheap in other ways. penny smart/dollar foolish.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: lexus114
That is what I thought but maybe it's been backdated to older engines like this because they realized a sludging problem over time?

I believe MB started recomending M1 10-14 years ago.

1997-2004 MB are equipped with FSS (Flexible Service System) and required Synthetic oils in the 229.3 list. The OCI's can be as high as 16-18k miles for mostly highway driving, for mixed driving it is about 10-12k.

Mobil 1 0W40 and 5W40 are on that list, and so are Valvoline Synpower 5W30 and 5W40. The complete 229.3 list: http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten...mp;suchbegriff=

If you want to use conventional oil, then cut the FSS to half.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
It's a C series though... Like "C" as in "Cavalier" or as in "Cheap"
lol.gif
(J/K)

Yeah,entry level. But still a very nice car though.

Originally Posted By: AMRoberts
Have a look at the bottom of this post, Oldwolf posted a 2007 MB Factory Approved Service Products. The document says it supercedes all previously-published viscosity charts.

Given the model year, if you want an oil with MB approval you'll need a 229.5 or 229.3-listed oil.

A VOA for the Mobil 1 10W-40 HM is here.

FWIW, I've been using the Mobil 1 10W-40 HM in a 1995 E320 that I purchased last year with a minor oil leak (I think front timing cover, based on where I would see oil on the pavement). I've got 12,700 miles on the oil, although it isn't really fair to call it a, "change interval" ... I've been incrementally removing some used oil and adding fresh oil to put fresh additives into the oil.

Somewhere in the last 3,000 miles, the oil leak stopped. Full disclosure, I also had the timing chain tensioner replaced during this time, when my mechanic realized its internal ratchet mechanism was broken. He didn't call it out as leaking oil, but since it is oil-pressure driven, I suppose it could have been involved. Anyhow, either the repair or the chemistry in the HM oil seems to have fixed my leak.

On cold morning starts last winter I was hearing either some lifter rattle or the timing chain slapping around until things reached pressure. My fall oil change will be to the Shell Rotella T6.

So we have one vote for M1 10W-40 HM instead of 0W-40 ...

How else did the car act on that Oil?

Its also refreshing to know that this Benz doesnt need a 50 as its high Weight.

0W-40 was my first guess, too.

If M1 HM 10W-40 STOPPED a leak, seems that may be the car's good Oil. I always thought you could go a ittle higher on the "W" number. (Example: Car secs a 5, can go to 10. Vice-verse, car specs a 10, you can go to a 5, or 0.)

Now. S500 at Jiffy Lube..
27.gif

15.gif

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley

So we have one vote for M1 10W-40 HM instead of 0W-40 ...

Or at least a claim that it may have done some seal-conditioning goodness on a M104 I6 engine. I don't debate that Mobil 1 0W-40 meets 229.5, while the 10W-40 HM doesn't have that rating.

How else did the car act on that Oil?

Definition of "act?" If you are asking about the oil leak behavior, I went from having a barely-wet, oily patch about 2 inches across under the car after an overnight, to something more quarter-sized, eventually to nothing.

I'll take it for as long as it lasts, a timing cover re-seal on the M104 looks like a lot of work.

The aCar application on the phone reports MPG(min) = 17.4, MPG(max) = 26.2, MPG(mean) = 21.5; and I don't drive with a particularly gentle foot.

Its also refreshing to know that this Benz doesnt need a 50 as its high Weight.

I don't know about older Benzes, but I've got pegged (3bar+) oil pressure until the car is at least 20 minutes into a drive, and dropping to idle after a 3 hour highway run in 100degF temps, I still see 2 bar or a bit less. Given that it seems that my engine would be equally happy with a lighter 40wt or a 30wt.

If M1 HM 10W-40 STOPPED a leak, seems that may be the car's good Oil. I always thought you could go a little higher on the "W" number.

Certainly could be the "right" oil, and as noted the only issue I was noting was some start-up clatter in the winter.

My E320 visits the NC mountains in mid-winter, where it occasionally has to make a sub-zero start, and sees far too many 90+ days in the central NC summer. The document Oldwolf added to my older post makes the 0W-30/40 and 5W-30/40 oils look like the best coverage of the range.

My personal goal is no less EW additives than the Mobil 1 HM oils, preferably more. Given what I can buy locally that meets that goal, the M1 HM oils are the best deal (5-qt jug for $21), followed by the Shell Rotella T6 (4-qt jug for $19), Mobil 1 5W-40 TDT (4-qt jug for $21), and the Mobil 1 0W-40 (nothing but quarts, $6.50ish).

T6 is next up because I got 3 gallons at $57 (AA matching Walmart's price) - $23 (AA's coupon) - $20 from the Rotella rebate. $1.17/quart is too inexpensive not to try. If my leaky seal returns I may be back to the Mobil HM oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back