Rotella T6 in the Accord?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering if anyone had tried T6 in a '05 or newer Accord V6 that specs the 20 weight? I never run 20, always a 30 weight, but would going up one more to the T6 40 weight be a problem?

The great UOA's are tempting me and I already love Rotella for the motorcycle!

Last edited:
There's a guy on here that runs either 5w-50 or 15w-50 in his Hondas. I can't remember.

How many "I used the wrong kind of oil and blew my engine" stories do you hear?

Haha...snow is Colorado. I'm not sure I would use 40 in the winter, but summers here can be very hot. For whatever reason, I just can't bring myself to use 20 weight- even in the winter. I'm sure it's partly a simple bias and resistance to change....on the flip side, I don't think 20 weight oils are totally free of the political, "green" movement related to fuel consumption and no one is going to come to save the day IF it turns out 20 weight wasn't quite as good. I still think the 30 weight oils provide the best all around package. I'm pretty sure Honda's outside North America still spec 30 weight and even 40 in some extreme climates....

I use the Shell Rotella in my motorcycles too, but my Honda cars both get synthetic 5W-20. I would use 0W-20 if Pennzoil made a good version of it. From what I have read elsewhere, the engine clearances and tolerances are such that the 20W is really the better weight oil to use. I'm not sure what you are expecting when you say that nobody will "save the day IF it turns out 20 weight wasn't quite as good". If you ask around here, I'm sure you will find plenty of drivers who have been running 5W-20 for years and loads of miles without problem.

Vic

I have run just about everything in a Honda Accord spec for a 5w-20 including 5/15w-40 with no ill effects in our mild winters here which does at times get a lot worse than mild... but only temporarily cold. I will say this I found that the 5w-20 all around is by far the best oil for these motors (I4 2.3L is what I have the most experience with)... If I were to run a HDEO today and I have been very tempted to I would be running the Rotella 10w-30 which is now available at many walmarts according to my local walmart (does have it) and from reading on here

I don't see how it would be a problem to run the Shell Rotella T6 in your Honda. I've read posts of people using it in their Toyota Corolla's up to their 4Runners with great results.

Originally Posted By: JRed
There's a guy on here that runs either 5w-50 or 15w-50 in his Hondas. I can't remember.

How many "I used the wrong kind of oil and blew my engine" stories do you hear?

You don't hear any "I used the right weight (20 in this case) and blew my engine" either. Something the OP should consider.

As long as it won't screw with any VTEC or other stuff that relies on oil pressure, it should be fine. If you're worried about it in the winter, maybe some of the Canadian Rotella 0W-40 or other 0W-40 HDEO would be better. If it shears down a bit, it's not going to matter in this case.

I'll bet you a 6 pack that the vast majority of those crazy Aussies are running xW-40 (and thicker!) in their new Accords.

Won't hurt a dang thing. GO FOR IT!
20.gif

I would give it a whirl.. but if you only want to go to a 30 weight, I would use rotella T5 10w30

I'll admit i push a pro HDEO agenda... lol

I just put T6 in my Outback and she is running smooth as silk. Since new I have used just 5w-40 oils. I have been using them for years in all my 4 cylinder engines from VW, Audi, Merkur and now Subaru. Never had a bit of a problem with any. I do ALOT of miles a year so I enjoy the added protection. IMHO, YMMV!

My big engine trucks get 5w-30 year round. They like that better it seems.

Heavy oils "work" in Hondas, i.e. there may not be any problems associated with using them, but I'm not sure what people expect to gain from using them nor do I think they often fall into the optimal, or even nominal categories. Note I do not include HDEO in that comment, merely the range of heavy viscosities commonly found in the HDEO category. The add packs in HDEOs are a separate argument, but one I am less inclined to argue against

People seem make these choices on the fairly intangible basis like, "I'm a thick oil man!", not as a cure for a documented, existing problem or a situational need. I speak only on Hondas used in a "normal" manner. I can completely understand special situations, such as extreme conditions of heat, cold or use that could dictate a visc change. But most of the people I see on BITOG are just doing it, seemingly, just to do it. Akin to, "Good enough for Mario Andretti... good enough for me."

I do not wish to insult anyone but I can't see how one can look at most Hondas objectively and reach the conclusion that a 15W40, 20-50 or 10W50 is an optimal choice on an engine designed for 5W20 or even 5W30. How many milliions of dollars has Honda put into R&D and validation on engine oils? How much collective experience and education do their engineering people have? More important, since when isn't 2-300K miles on the oil reciepe Honda selects not "enough" for anyone... and how can you prove a change is beneficial?

Last edited:
I'm sure nothing would blow up if you used a 40 weight oil. There is nothing in a motor that is THAT sensitive to viscosity, a cold 5w20 is thicker than a hot 5w40.

That said modern Honda motors do really well on thinner oils, they are designed for it. And as a general rule, I personally never stray by more than 1 grade from recommended. I'd run 40 weights, 15w40 summer only, synth 5w40 year round in my 5w30 and 10w30 spec'd motors with no worry at all, depending on the motor I'd say its a fine substitute for the durability and excellent price and value of HDEOs which can be harder to find in 30 wts. But I would not feel comfortable running a 50 weight in my motors, not even a synth 5w50. Nothing would blow up, but it would be nowhere near the best choice.

Never had a motor calling for as 20 weight but if I did I'd be inclined to run a 30 in the peak of summer and a 20 for the colder months.

Nothing scientific about any of this, just my own comfort level and what I "feel" are good choices. Ultimately, the best thing to do is just run what the manual recommends year round in most cases, but there are no 5w20 HDEOs that I know of and I can certainly see the attraction to them even for gas motors. Been choosing them more and more often lately myself, they have an everyday fantastic value without waiting for a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back