I Owe Dunlop an Apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a set of Dunlop Signature's on the minivan. 75K mile tire were at the tread bar at 31K. Very disappointing, but they did warranty the tire for what I paid so in the end I could not complain. Bought a set of Cooper CS4 and have been very pleased with the performance on the first 20K.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
I take my compliment to dunlop back. they don't like stopping too well with my camry.
You DO realize that with a camry you need to apply the brake, not press the accelerator pedal when you want to stop?

Originally Posted By: kbmag1
Had a set of Dunlop Signature's on the minivan. 75K mile tire were at the tread bar at 31K. Very disappointing, but they did warranty the tire for what I paid so in the end I could not complain. Bought a set of Cooper CS4 and have been very pleased with the performance on the first 20K.

Ow..

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: ekpolk
......It's pretty clear to me that virtually ALL tire makers are willing and able to crank out mass volumes of OEM trash (even Michelin). My point was that I now realize that I was perhaps too critical in singling out Dunlop for guilt on this -- they all do it (wish that they'd all just say NO).

I hope you realize that the problem isn't with the tire manufacturers - It's with the vehicle manufacturers!

I go into this in greater detail here:

http://www.barrystiretech.com/oetires.html

Bottomline: The vehicle manufacturer sets the specs and someone is going to supply tires to that spec. There are a number of good reasons for tire manufacturers to do business with the vehicle manufacturers - inspite of the negative PR that results.

If you want better tires on new cars, you need to complain to the vehicle manufacturers.

Well, yes and no. IMO, it's a "yin and yang" thing. Neither stands without the other. I can tell you this, however: the next time I need a new car, if it's like the Camry, which comes about 50-50 with good Michelins or worthless Bridgestones, I'll take the fruitcake purple car (or none at all) over the preferred color with the worthless tires, all day long. Alternatively, if the dealer really wants to move the car with the poor tires, I'll make it clear that I won't take it without an extra discount (roughly equal to the price of a tire upgrade). I think I may be saying exactly what you're suggesting, worded differently. Sort of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back